Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Chael does NOT deserve next shot

Print  
  Page 2 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

Chael_Sonnen

Follow.The.Buzzards

Chael_Sonnen Avatar

Career:1,277-785
Chips:

Posted by TeamDEY

I don't like Bisping at all. Nor do i want to see him get the next shot. But I can see we have a lot of Chael lovers here. But Chael was right, Anderson has been ducking him for 6 years. That is when he was in the WEC (not good enough to make it to the UFC) getting beat by Palahares, then getting beat by Maia. THEN TAPPED to Anderson. Yea he deserves the next shot though.

Get your facts straight friendo....he never lost to Palhares

And if he did fight Paul, he would bury that tree stump where he stands.

Last edited 10/14/11 3:18PM server time by chael_sonnen
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #16   10/14/11 3:17:36PM   

jiujitsufreak74

,,[],, *******,,[],,

jiujitsufreak74 Avatar

Career:1,056-572
Chips:

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

just about to post the same thing, although he would have to avoid the ground at all costs against Palhares

Post #17   10/14/11 3:24:24PM   

prophecy033

REBEL WITH A CAUSE

prophecy033 Avatar

Career:2,037-1,201
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by TeamDEY

I don't like Bisping at all. Nor do i want to see him get the next shot. But I can see we have a lot of Chael lovers here. But Chael was right, Anderson has been ducking him for 6 years. That is when he was in the WEC (not good enough to make it to the UFC) getting beat by Palahares, then getting beat by Maia. THEN TAPPED to Anderson. Yea he deserves the next shot though.

Just because we think Chael should fight Silva next in no way implies we're Sonnen lovers (except for Chael_Sonnen). I wanna see the best possible fights and that one is THEY best possible fight for Silva. I could give a shit what the rankings are

Post #18   10/14/11 3:28:57PM   

Cooler

Banned for Cheating

Cooler Avatar

Career:886-472
Camp: The Evolutionaries
Chips:

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

Posted by TeamDEY

lol at sonnen beating palhares

Post #19   10/14/11 3:32:34PM   

Hendo67

MMA Sensei

Hendo67 Avatar

Career:1,066-730
Camp: East Coast Pitbulls
Chips:
Damn, one thing i've learned since this thread has began... Myself and Bisping have the same amount of top 10 talent.

Post #20   10/14/11 4:30:44PM   

prophecy033

REBEL WITH A CAUSE

prophecy033 Avatar

Career:2,037-1,201
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by Hendo67

Damn, one thing i've learned since this thread has began... Myself and Bisping have the same amount of top 10 talent.

Post #21   10/14/11 4:33:54PM   

bigrand826

MMA Regular

bigrand826 Avatar

Career:833-506
Chips:

Posted by TeamDEY

Palhares? I think you mean Filho. Anyway, Chael has beaten more top 10 guys in the last week than Bisping has beaten in his entire career.

Post #22   10/14/11 5:39:19PM   

Omega_8

MMA Regular

Omega_8 Avatar

Career:1,035-639
Camp: THE NATION OF DOMINATION
Chips:
I'm so sick of hearing Chael Sonnens name, the guy is a good fighter but he had his chance. it doesn't matter that Silva was beaten pretty badly, because he still won the fight. all i hear is people constantly saying that Sonnen "dominated" for 23 and a half minutes, well guess what, Silva dominated the final ten seconds when he forced the tap. if anything, Sonnen showed that even after damn near killing Silva for five rounds he still couldn't get the job done. now i'm no fan of either guy, but Sonnen running his mouth trying to make Silva look bad if he doesn't accept the call out is just down right ludicrous. Silva is the first dominant, and i mean truly dominant champion in UFC history. If he doesn't want to fight Sonnen then he shouldn't have to. Chael got a chance, he blew it, give it to someone who earned a shot through fighting, not though shit talking.

sorry for spelling errors..i just woke up. what was the first thing i saw when i woke up? well it was an article saying that Sonnen has given Silva 24 hours to make a decision...please...who does Sonnen think he is?

Post #23   10/15/11 1:07:22PM   

State_Champ

MMA Sensei

State_Champ Avatar

Career:1,466-874
Camp: The Evil Empire
Chips:
This thread makes me want see Bisping vs Stann and/or Sonnen.

Bisping vs Stann would probably be an entertaining fight (I'm not sure who I'd pick).

A Bisping vs Sonnen title eliminator match would be cool by me (I'd pick Chael).

I don't know if Chael currently deserves another shot at Silva... I think any conclusion would hinge entirely on subjective criteria for the term "deserving" as the UFC doesn't seem to have much of a policy regarding this subject.
It is important to remember that MMA is sports-entertainment and thus perpesctives appealing to both aspects (sports AND entertainment) have value here.

I think that what makes a challenger deserving is a combination of these:
(1) The fighter has beaten top fighter(s) in the division. - Chael beat Okami, Marquardt, Stann, and Miller.
(2) The fighter presents an intriguing potential match- Chael nearly dethroned Silva once, and has strong wrestling which is generally viewed as Silva's weakness.
(3)The fight is in demand. The UFC exists to make money therefore anything which influences their PPV/ticket sales is very important.- Chael hypes fights very well ( borrowing heavily from pro-wrestling).

And one more important factor in determining whether a 'deserving' fighter should get to be a challenger for the title: Are there (many) other contenders?

Each of the above points must be weighed relative to the other points to determine whether a contender is deserving.
Example: Jon Fitch-
(1) Beats top opponents.
(2) Does not present an intruiging potential match (arguably, he is the same fighter he was when he first fought GSP, thus a similar outcome is expected).
(3) There doesn't seem to be much demand from fans for a Jon FItch title shot.
(4) WW has many fighters who could be (also)considered deserving.
- Jon Fitch COULD be considered undeserving for these reasons. However, by a pure 'sports' perspective I would think Jon would be deserving of a title fight (Although the draw against BJ Penn could be troubling).

IMO, Chael is the opponent many people want to see since he is one of the few fighters in the UFC to have made an interesting fight against Anderson Silva. He presents the uncertainty that makes fights great; with Chael there is not necessarily an attitude of "Silva will destroy this guy," because they already fought once and Silva didn't destroy him (although he definitely beat him).

The fight is intruiging to many people and Chael is not so far distanced from title contention that it would be crazy to consider giving him a title match, therefore he can and has been considered to fight Anderson SIlva soon.
Who else is there?

Last edited 10/15/11 3:04PM server time by State_Champ
Edit note/reason: n/a
2 total post edits

Post #24   10/15/11 2:12:51PM   

40ouncetpkid

Belt Contender

40ouncetpkid Avatar

Career:289-174
Camp: Octagon Winners
Chips:
Really?........really..........really?

Its one thing to say Chael doesnt deserve a shot which can be explained, BUT BISPING? hahaha the only top 10 fighter HE MIGHT have ever beat is Chris leban, but at the time he wasn't top 10 and would barely be top 10 right now. So beating Mayhem gets you a title shot huh?

Stann was really the only other option and Chael smoked him. Really, who else deserves a shot and bisping should not even be an option. Chael almost beat him it was a 4 3/4 round beatdown, so i'd def like to see it again.

Post #25   10/15/11 2:42:27PM   

noahgenda

Standup Guy

noahgenda Avatar

Career:315-179
Chips:
obviously he meant filho, not palhares, which says a lot more, cause paulo is a fucking mess. i actually think palhares v sonnen would be a really interesting fight, and would probably pick palhares. its not like sonnen is a particularly skilled striker. that stann fight is the first time hes finished someone in like 5 years or something. hes basically a wet blanket that wins by position and pitter patter

Post #26   10/16/11 12:41:25PM   

poppa_gump

Learning to Sprawl

poppa_gump Avatar

Career:1,079-624
Camp: Nuthin But The Best
Chips:
Just for the hell of it why doesn't Anderson go up to LHW if there is nobody worthy of fighting for his MW title. It has been said that he only has 4 fights left in the UFC, why does't he take his belt and Jones' belt (if he is soooo good) and then take Georges' belt and walk away from the sport as the only three belt holder in the history of the UFC.
If entertainment is what sells PPV the just watch the sales figures skyrocket on these superfights.

If these hypothetical scenarios are unreasonable then why doesn't Palhares get a shot?

Post #27   10/19/11 7:14:06PM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-505
Chips:
Are you secretly Michael Bisping?

Post #28   10/19/11 9:49:28PM   

kizzane

MMA Regular

kizzane Avatar

Career:897-462
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
I think State_Champ gave a pretty good objective criteria and view of the status quo.

That said, IF what Ed Soares said about Mr. Silva having only 4 or so fights left is true, I say give Chael one of those remaining fights if he can win 1 more. Put Sonnen against Belfort or Munoz. He wins, give him another shot.

What can I say about Bisping that hasn't already been said ...

I think after Miller, Bisping should be forced into a mandatory fight with Epic Beard Man and if he wins that then maybe he gets his title shot. I mean since we're just throwing things out there.

Post #29   10/20/11 1:15:33AM   

Page 2 of 2     1     2