Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Fedor Emelianenko released from Strikeforce

Print  
  Page 2 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

Manak

Belt Contender

Manak Avatar

Career:164-106
Camp: UFC-PRIDE-MMA
Chips:

Posted by Aether

Posted by kingsmasher

He did always put on good fights he will be missed for that....I dont see M1 doing much in the states now thats for sure...

What I dont understand then why even buy Strikeforce...Makes absolutely no sense...Someone please explain it to me...They were about to go under werent they for their own financial reasons werent they? Unless Zuffa thoguht that would get them in the room with showtime to negotiate...

Im confused...

I guess when I think about it theyve really only cut Fedor and Overeem two people who were difficult...I understnad Overeems cut cause he liked to fight elsewhere and thats risky when he woudl prolly headline A card and if he were to get injured and thats something IM sure the UFC has seen too much of this year...

Maybe just to make sure no one else could buy them. There's always a chance of some Mark Cuban / Donald Trump type person dropping a ton of money into the organization to try to turn some kind of profit if they think they see the opportunity. It would be an easy way to enter the market without having to worry about any of the startup costs. It's probably worth it for the UFC to make sure that they get rid of one of their biggest competitors while farming whatever contracts they feel are worth taking.

agreed also i though the main reason they did buy them is cause someone was going to buy SF to compete with the UFC

Post #16   8/4/11 4:26:16PM   

Manak

Belt Contender

Manak Avatar

Career:164-106
Camp: UFC-PRIDE-MMA
Chips:

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by kingsmasher

Posted by tn_rebel

No Fedor, Henderson, Diaz, Shields, or Overeem? Someone please give me a reason to continue to watch Strikeforce.

IM betting Strikeforce and UFC combine before the end of the year...I bet new years eve is a big card of fights of the SF and UFC champs for one champion...When Dana said in his interview about big things at the end of the year IM seeing this is all it can be...

Won't be this year...contracts prevent that from happening.

what contracts?? they just got cut unless it is not from SF also is overeem gonna do the K-1WGP

Post #17   8/4/11 4:28:12PM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,803-1,547
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by Manak

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by kingsmasher

Posted by tn_rebel

No Fedor, Henderson, Diaz, Shields, or Overeem? Someone please give me a reason to continue to watch Strikeforce.

IM betting Strikeforce and UFC combine before the end of the year...I bet new years eve is a big card of fights of the SF and UFC champs for one champion...When Dana said in his interview about big things at the end of the year IM seeing this is all it can be...

Won't be this year...contracts prevent that from happening.

what contracts?? they just got cut unless it is not from SF also is overeem gonna do the K-1WGP

Most importantly, the contract between Showtime and Strikeforce.

Post #18   8/4/11 4:34:29PM   

Wolfenstein

Heavyweight Champ

Wolfenstein Avatar

Career:1,304-730
Chips:
Not too surprising since he's still not much of a draw, and comes with a big price tag. It made sense to pay the piper so to speak when he was winning, even if he wasn't a draw...it was still a big deal to have what many considered the top p4p fighter. Now that it's not the case, outside of fulfilling some hardcore fans wants, it doesn't make a lot of sense from a business perspective.

There was a mention of Tito Ortiz, and how they have a somewhat similar situation. That is true in the sense that they both hit on a losing streak, but the major difference is Tito Ortiz has a following. Even amongst casual fans, or people who barely know a thing about MMA, many know his name.

Post #19   8/4/11 4:44:43PM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Wolfenstein

Not too surprising since he's still not much of a draw, and comes with a big price tag. It made sense to pay the piper so to speak when he was winning, even if he wasn't a draw...it was still a big deal to have what many considered the top p4p fighter. Now that it's not the case, outside of fulfilling some hardcore fans wants, it doesn't make a lot of sense from a business perspective.

There was a mention of Tito Ortiz, and how they have a somewhat similar situation. That is true in the sense that they both hit on a losing streak, but the major difference is Tito Ortiz has a following. Even amongst casual fans, or people who barely know a thing about MMA, many know his name.

Plus Tito is only making a flat 250k these days with no PPV cut, while Fedor is getting 7 figures.

Post #20   8/4/11 4:58:16PM   

prophecy033

REBEL WITH A CAUSE

prophecy033 Avatar

Career:2,037-1,201
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by kingsmasher

Posted by tn_rebel

there won't be any Strikeforce champagne other then the women by the end of the year

Post #21   8/4/11 5:10:12PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,460-1,306
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
I am not surprised
Three losses in a row three stoppages
And rodgers was beating him as well till he got hit
Dream will sign him

Post #22   8/4/11 5:15:26PM   

BustedKnuckle

MMA Sensei

BustedKnuckle Avatar

Career:659-381
Chips:
WEll SF seems to be on its way out. And for the UFC to pay Fedor what he was getting i am sure was ludacris to Dana and the boys. Also I understand that with the impending doom that awaits SF that the HW stable has limited room. Guys like Griggs, and Del Rosario, Cromier and such are up and comers, finishing fights and building a fan base. Fedor is at the last stage in his career and going out on his shield a lot like Chuck did. I have nothing but respect for the man, also I do like the possiblity of a Fedor/Overeem superfight ...........cmon DREAM cowboy up and put it together.

Post #23   8/4/11 5:20:37PM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by prophecy033

Posted by kingsmasher

Posted by tn_rebel

there won't be any Strikeforce champagne other then the women by the end of the year

You mean like this stuff?

Post #24   8/4/11 5:45:04PM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,887-1,050
Chips:
Its his salary that got him cut. Business wise its tough to justify paying him that much.

Post #25   8/4/11 6:13:42PM   

Cooler

Banned for Cheating

Cooler Avatar

Career:886-472
Camp: The Evolutionaries
Chips:
i only support bellator, dream and other small orgs from here on out

Last edited 8/4/11 6:26PM server time by cooler
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #26   8/4/11 6:24:52PM   

RearNakedJoke

In Full Mount

RearNakedJoke Avatar

Career:1,226-867
Chips:
hey look at the positive side he and M-1 still have contracts with Showtime. With his management doing his match making he'll be back to his winning ways in no time!

Post #27   8/4/11 6:33:12PM   

pmoney

P$ Pimpin'

pmoney Avatar

Career:1,522-929
Chips:
I don't even know what to say in this thread. I enjoyed watching Fedor fight. Still do. It's too bad how things went for him. The last time he looked good was when he ruined Tim Sylvia in less than a minute. After that, he was getting picked apart by Andrei Arlovski (from where I was sitting) until he got the one punch KO. Same with Rogers, he was getting stomped pretty good until he landed that F-Bomb.

I can only imagine how stoked Dana White was to make the announcement they were cutting Fedor. He probably messed his Depends.

Fedor seems like a good dude. I hope he finds success wherever he goes from here, in whatever he does.

Post #28   8/4/11 8:57:27PM   

joshjr

Josh "The Babyface Assassin"

joshjr Avatar

Career:538-351
Camp: MMA Weekly
Chips:
That is easy. Cyborg and Corano.

Post #29   8/4/11 10:04:43PM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Career:1,120-670
Chips:
as a Fedor nuthugger, i will just say this as i may risk being warned/banned or what not:

Fedor is still the MMA GOAT. he needs to change camps, drop M1, and get some wins back if he still plans to fight. oh and ^#@&* Dana White

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #30   8/4/11 11:18:49PM   

Page 2 of 3     1     2     3