Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Does GSP's "Safe" Gameplans Bother You? (Poll)

Print  
Does it bother you that GSP has lost his killer instinct?
Yes, it bothers me alot. 33 41%
No, not at all. 40 50%
I could care less. 7 9%
  Page 2 of 4     1     2     3     4  
Posted By Message

tepid55

MMA Sensei

tepid55 Avatar

Career:2,938-1,607
Camp: Pride FC Forever
Chips:
The objective in a fight is to win, not o be entertaining.

Post #16   5/1/11 11:26:12PM   

ajp10k

MMA Regular

ajp10k Avatar

Career:154-118
Camp: Midwest Training Center
Chips:
Yea GSP is boring to watch. But people say Fitch is boring and never finishes fights that are GSP fans that don't complain about fights like GSP vs Shields, thats hypocritical.

Post #17   5/2/11 12:01:55AM   

Ordep

Go Falcons!

Ordep Avatar

Career:1,039-621
Camp: Beat Down System
Chips:

Posted by DeadHead988

Amost all of GSP's recent fights have been boring as hell. I consider him the best in the world, but I never look forward to seeing him fight.

Has gotten to the point he brings nothing new to the table. He'll wipe the floor with the other guy and win a decision. I'm sure all GSP fans and nuthuggers love this and praise him. Sure he wins, sure he dominates, sure he'e the best and sure there's nothing new coming from him.

Post #18   5/2/11 12:11:27AM   

cmill21

Heavyweight Champ

cmill21 Avatar

Career:444-230
Chips:

Posted by tepid55

I don't pay $50 a month not to be entertained. Finish a damn fight GSP.

Post #19   5/2/11 12:45:24AM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,894-1,054
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
I get bored by it, yeah. But it doesnt bother me so much. I think if anything, his "safe" style of fighting exposes him to more danger as the more time he spends in the cage the more likely it is that an opponent catches a lucky break - like Jake shields punching his eye.

I think his choice not to pursue finishes in order to minimize risk, exposes him to more risk overall. Gsp should have finished Koscheck - Gsp could have finished Sheilds - Gsp hasnt made an effort to finish anyone since Jon Fitch.

Post #20   5/2/11 3:23:16AM   

UFC_Fanatic

In Full Mount

UFC_Fanatic Avatar

Career:1,499-922
Camp: Hand Grenade Hillbillies
Chips:
I say the UFC should see if they can get Diaz vs GSP to happen, and after GSP wins due to Diaz's weak wrestling, or at least it was weak the last time we saw a good wrestler shoot on him, then he moves up to 185, but doesn't get an immediate fight with Silva. Sure, I want to see that fight, and I believe that Silva would beat GSP via KO, he's too big and can kick and punch GSP from the other side of the cage. I'd want to see GSP earn it like any other MW. That doesn't mean he has to string together 3 or 4 wins to get the shot, because his body of work says that he should really only have to fight one or two top 10 fighters at MW to get the shot at the belt. I say if he is going to fight a top 10 guy, fight Sonnen. 2 real reasons, 1) I want to listen to the hilarious rants that Sonnen will go on about GSP being boring, and 2) I believe that Sonnen will truly test GSP's potential as a MW. Sonnen has solid striking, and phenominal wrestling, possibly one of the best wrestlers in MMA. Sonnen would be a tough test because he is a big powerful dude at the weight class that GSP is going to really have to work to beat because TDs won't come easy, if at all, he'll probably get tested off his back at some point, and the striking would be relatively competitive. Great fight that makes sense if you ask me.

Post #21   5/2/11 3:46:35AM   

Rabi

Heavyweight Champ

Rabi Avatar

Career:1,933-1,134
Camp: Canadian Power Team
Chips:
I think GSP gets to much stick for his style, some one stated that he hasnt tried to finish a fight since the Fitch fight, i think thats a bit harsh, Hardy's arm was full extended twice but he refused to tap, Koshchecks eye was mashed which would have stopped most fighters, but Koshcheck is tough. GSP is the best WW in the world and as the champ he only fights the best which is why its hard to stop People. Matt Hughes was a legend at WW before GSP and GSP stopped him twice, I think it is up to his oppenent to push the action if GSP is winning the fight. With regards to his next fight, t'd like to see him fight Nick Diaz, Shields exposed a weakness with his striking and as we know Diaz is a wizard on the ground and is also a much better striker then Shields. Would be interesting to see what GSP's game plan would be against Diaz.

Post #22   5/2/11 5:31:07AM   

State_Champ

MMA Sensei

State_Champ Avatar

Career:1,474-877
Camp: The Evil Empire
Chips:
IMO:
I thought it was GSP's "safe" gameplans that are bothersome.
I don't fault GSP for wanting to win with as little risk as possible because that makes perfect sense to me.
However, as a fan, I like to see drama in a fight. Finishes are nice, of course, and if the fight doesn't finish then I like to see some drama.

Lately, prior to GSP fights I have felt that he would win a dominant decision and that his opponent was not really a threat to him at all. Then when he fights it appears that he wins a dominant decision and that his opponent never really threatens him at all (no more than being in a fight is inherently threatening).

Still, kudos to GSP for constantly winning.

It would be too selfish of me to say that GSP should take more risks for my entertainment, but it is merely honest for me to say that I would like it if he did.
If GSP won a back-and-forth "war" I would be entertained.
A perfect example of this phenomenon is the fight between Gray Maynard and Nate Diaz. I wanted Diaz to win and the fight was entertaining to me because I felt, at times, that he might win. In contrast I did not enjoy the fight between Nate Diaz and Clay Guida because Guida blanketed Diaz to the point that I FELT as though Diaz did not stand much of a chance.

It seemed that the "safe" fighting style bothers me. But it only bothers me because of his dominance with this style. If he fought exactly the same and I felt that he was constantly in danger of being submitted or knocked out then I would probably be more entertained. Thus I can only conclude that his dominance in winning a decision is what is bothersome to me rather than his "safe" style.

But could GSP said to be fighting a "safe" style if he was under serious threat?

Last edited 5/2/11 8:59AM server time by State_Champ
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #23   5/2/11 8:28:49AM   

kingsmasher

BANNED

Career:258-155
Chips:

Posted by FastKnockout

His lack of finishes doesn't bother me. I believe at this moment, GSP is the peak of MMA, not only physically, but mentally too. His decisions are due to executing his gameplans perfectly, and that includes not placing himself in dangerous situations, such as in his fight with Shields where he rocked him, but didn't try to ground and pound his way to finish, which would have put him in Shield's gaurd. When I'm watching a fighter as dominant in the cage as St. Pierre, I have no issues with a lack of finish.

I beg to differ mentally at his peak...He seems to get frustrated and if he gets hit he really becomes more careful...Thing is he would dominate a guy on paper like Diaz but Diaz might really get in his head and embarrass him in a fight...With the Diaz mental game....I would bet on GSP of course but would not doubt he could embarrass GSP in a fight....with antics and GSP gets sloppy and gets cuaght on the side of the head like Serra...GSP will get caught cause I question him taking a punch really...

GSP is the stand up Jon Fitch...Boring!!!

Last edited 5/2/11 10:55AM server time by kingsmasher
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #24   5/2/11 10:51:19AM   

kingsmasher

BANNED

Chips:

Posted by tepid55

Dana White believes the exact opposite..

Whats really funny if you are satisfied with GSP you should never have a bad words against JON FITCH...thats a fact..

Post #25   5/2/11 10:53:41AM   

kingsmasher

BANNED

Chips:

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

Almost like the same thing with Machida for GSP here at least for me. When Machida really wasnt finishing people.

It's whatever though, I'm not a GSP fan.

Whens the last time GSP finished someone like Machida did Couture..>That would be never...

Post #26   5/2/11 10:56:40AM   

cowcatcher

Steady MODdin'

cowcatcher Avatar

Career:2,568-1,469
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by kingsmasher

Whens the last time GSP finished someone like Machida did Couture..>That would be never...

The only other guy ever to finish someone like that was Daniel-san, so I don't think that's a fair comparison.

Post #27   5/2/11 11:23:18AM   

roadking95th

In Cael We Trust!

roadking95th Avatar

Career:1,351-714
Chips:

Posted by BustedKnuckle

If GSP's attack was a ley n pray technique I would have a problem with it. But the guy is so good at every aspect of the sport, he takes whatever his opponents weakness is and exploits it to no end all fight. With Hardy it was wrestling. With Kos, Hughes, Shields it was his boxing. The guy is phenominal and I hope his eye injury isn't very serious?!?

This is the opposite of how I feel. When most LnP it is because it is the only tactical advantage they have. As you have already stated GSP is phenominal, great at all aspects of MMA. Even so, he doesn't finish the fight.

People bitch about Fitch. People bitch about Anderson when he doesn't engage. People bitch about wrestlers when they first start out. Well guess what? It is time to start bitching about GSP.

I am stating this about GSP not as a normal fighter. If he was a normal fighter I would probably give him more eeway. He is obvisously more talented than his opponents. I don't blame him. It's smart. However, I won't support him and I won't be excited to watch him ever, taht is uness he moves up to MW and has someone to push him. Only then will we know how great he is.

Post #28   5/2/11 1:25:55PM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-505
Chips:
I find him to be pretty boring these days and I no longer look forward to seeing him fight.

Does it bother me? Not really, I just don't really get excited or care when I hear about a GSP matchup. It's up to GSP whether he cares about being popular or not, he obviously is successful with his methods, if he doesn't care that people find him boring then good for him, I guess.

Post #29   5/2/11 1:52:53PM   

sbulldavid

Heavyweight Champ

sbulldavid Avatar

Career:1,445-841
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
I don't really enjoy his fights, but I respect his greatness, maybe he's got a glass jaw and he's doing what he has to do to win, I just don't know. He wouldn't be the first fighter that doesn't like getting hit, but he gets the job done.

Post #30   5/2/11 6:36:38PM   

Page 2 of 4     1     2     3     4