Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Koscheck Play acting?

Print  
  Page 2 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:746-420
Chips:
This is all a clear case as to why that knee should be legal. The way it is now it takes a weapon away from strikers and gives the wrestlers a advantage. Everyone complains about boring fights on the ground yet we have rules that make it easier to get it to the ground.

Post #16   5/9/10 5:10:46PM   

CwB

MMA Sensei

CwB Avatar

Career:221-151
Chips:
I thought it was BS, but it doesn't make me think any less of Kos, as its impossible for me to think any less of the guy as it is.

What i really want to know is how Dana feels about the phantom knee and if it has any effect on the coaching gig/title shot. Not that it should, but I wish it would.

Post #17   5/9/10 5:24:17PM   

CanadianCripplr

MMA Regular

CanadianCripplr Avatar

Career:1,377-772
Camp: Canadian Power Team
Chips:
Seems stupid to me that either of these two fighters would be considered to be role models or coaches for young fighters on TUF. Neither are leaders or good sportsmen.

Post #18   5/9/10 5:41:50PM   

jae_1833

TTTHS

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:2,497-1,576
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Illegal move....lame rule.....a little bit of over-reacting....and a bad sportsman....completely lame fight.
Why on God's green Earth either of them would have been considered worthy to face GSP, regardless of how this fight turned out, is beyond me to begin with.

Post #19   5/9/10 9:17:41PM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,830-1,011
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Did anyone else feel it was absolutely brilliant for Daley to throw that knee when he did? Down a round, about to be down two. He already lost on the scorecards, why not throw the knee? Take the point deduction and continue the rest of the fight against a koscheck that wouldnt be the same.

Only problem is it completely missed. Entirely. There is zero chance you could get hit with that knee, and your head doesnt change trajectory.

I think he should have thrown it again. I mean, whats the worst that could happen? It cant be worse than Koscheck whispering in his ear in the third round about how he won the fight without hitting him.

Post #20   5/9/10 10:11:26PM   

Caesarrrr

Standup Guy

Career:77-70
Chips:
Watch the replay. Perhaps Kos was faking a bit, especially since he said he was hit in the eye, however before the knee look at his forehead, and then after look at it. There is clearly skin scraped off around his hairline after the knee. idk if you've ever been kneed in the face, but it does take some force to scrape skin off.

Post #21   5/9/10 10:18:52PM   

GDK

MMA Regular

GDK Avatar

Career:1,651-1,150
Chips:
When watching i was suprised
1. that Semtex would throw the knee
2. That Kos would react like that

He must have gotten him really badly
Especially since Kos asked the ref "what happened?"
Kos is usually a tough son of a gun and a hard nut to crack
Anthony Johnson tried, Kos came back even though i though he had a good case for staying down

But the replay shows the knee missing or just grazing hair
Hardly a savage blow

Utilll my friend sitting next to me points out that he got hit by a knee before that
And dodged the second one
It was hard to see but alas there it was, connection was made, a sly right knee from semtex connecting with Kos's head (you can see it better from the top angle, just before Semtex hops back for the grazing knee)
Kos then reels backward luckily missing a second left knee from Daley
Grasping the damage from the first knee and complaining
The second missed knee then gets replayed over and over making Kos look like a fool
When asked if he got hit after the fight Kos said "absolutely, I got hit by something"

And thinking about it, it kinda makes sense
If Kos can adjust from a takedown to dodging a knee the moment he saw it coming. And grab his head half a second after it wizzes past
That would be mythical Bruce Lee speed that only exists in movies
Or maybe he is that quick to shift from offence to faking an injury

The first knee may have been an accident in the process of a takedown
But the second knee makes me think that the first contact was also in malice
Who knows
But one thing for sure is that Semtex doesn't give a crap about the rules

GDK

Post #22   5/10/10 8:31:55AM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:746-420
Chips:

Posted by Pookie

Did anyone else feel it was absolutely brilliant for Daley to throw that knee when he did? Down a round, about to be down two. He already lost on the scorecards, why not throw the knee? Take the point deduction and continue the rest of the fight against a koscheck that wouldnt be the same.

Only problem is it completely missed. Entirely. There is zero chance you could get hit with that knee, and your head doesnt change trajectory.

I think he should have thrown it again. I mean, whats the worst that could happen? It cant be worse than Koscheck whispering in his ear in the third round about how he won the fight without hitting him.

Didn't think of it that way sure I can see where your coming from. Its a stuipd rule that helps wrestlers and hurts anyone trying to keep it on the feet. Whats the worst that can happen with that knee? Kos gets Ko'd. Most ppl who this happens to IMO flop we have seen enough in Pride that its not the end all be all Death blow that seals the fight. It is very effective but fighters have fought on after being hit with it before. But it always seems the guys in the octogon flop when it happens to them.

Post #23   5/10/10 4:59:23PM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Career:1,446-842
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:

Posted by postman

Posted by Pookie

Didn't think of it that way sure I can see where your coming from. Its a stuipd rule that helps wrestlers and hurts anyone trying to keep it on the feet. Whats the worst that can happen with that knee? Kos gets Ko'd. Most ppl who this happens to IMO flop we have seen enough in Pride that its not the end all be all Death blow that seals the fight. It is very effective but fighters have fought on after being hit with it before. But it always seems the guys in the octogon flop when it happens to them.

I find this weird as well. What's up with that?

Post #24   5/10/10 6:04:51PM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Career:534-389
Chips:
I don't care much for the rule but it's there so they need to abide by it. Whether or not it connected there wasn't a reason in hell it should have been thrown. It's not like those other scenarios where the fighter was on their way up and then went back to their knees as soon as they saw it coming for them. Kos was cleanly down and had been when Daley threw it. Kos played it smart.

Post #25   5/10/10 8:47:04PM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Career:759-539
Chips:
Was the knee even illegal? Both of Koscheck's hands were off the mat. I thought it was a 3 or more points on the mat situation that made a kick/knee to the head illegal.

Post #26   5/11/10 1:38:07AM   

lohmann

A Black Belt in Jiu-Jitsu

lohmann Avatar

Career:1,611-877
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by Rush

Was the knee even illegal? Both of Koscheck's hands were off the mat. I thought it was a 3 or more points on the mat situation that made a kick/knee to the head illegal.

The NSAC, generally the leaders in matters like this, defined it as:

15. Kneeing the head of a grounded opponent.
A downed opponent is any fighter who has more than just the soles of their feet on the ground. If a fighter is caught in a crouched position where the ring ropes or the fence is the only thing keeping the fighter from the ground the fighter will be considered a downed opponent. A fighter can be kneed to the body when they are on the ground.

link

Last edited 5/11/10 1:57AM server time by lohmann
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #27   5/11/10 1:57:22AM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Career:759-539
Chips:

Posted by lohmann

Posted by Rush

The NSAC, generally the leaders in matters like this, defined it as:

15. Kneeing the head of a grounded opponent.
A downed opponent is any fighter who has more than just the soles of their feet on the ground. If a fighter is caught in a crouched position where the ring ropes or the fence is the only thing keeping the fighter from the ground the fighter will be considered a downed opponent. A fighter can be kneed to the body when they are on the ground.

link

Fair enough. I think that rule has been refined over the last few years, but it is what it is.

One interesting point I do want to make is that a number of people are saying that Koscheck was acting or working for the foul and that as ok. I think it needs to be said that faking an injury is also illegal according to the rules of MMA.

Post #28   5/13/10 12:32:31AM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Career:534-389
Chips:
Well, one thing we know is that Koscheck is eating crow.

Post #29   5/13/10 12:51:52AM   

Page 2 of 2     1     2