Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Who do you think is the fighter to have Shogun's Number?

Print  
  Page 2 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

chickmagnet

MMA Sensei

chickmagnet Avatar

Career:529-344
Camp: The Pit
Chips:

Posted by Ordep

Injured hand?
First, lame excuse. Second, what difference does that make? He was backpedaling like always but Shogun was smart enough to not fall on the trap. Unless he wasn't fighting forward because of the "injury" yeah right.

well, whose name did Buffer call? injured hand or no Machida went home with the belt.

Ad: FanDuel launches Mixup daily fantasy sports for casual fans

Post #16   4/29/10 12:11:42AM   

sbulldavid

Heavyweight Champ

sbulldavid Avatar

Career:2,116-1,275
Chips:
Shogun Nuthugger Here ! LOL. I still think Machida is his equal, Shogun should have won the first fight but, the crying is over, he's gotta do it again and that is a tough task. Shogun has the best tools in the world, he's the better fighter on the ground, but he'll probably never get it there. He still has to play the guessing game for 5 rounds and he's been dropped often in his career, if Machida drops him it's going to be a short night. A big part of Shogun's game is his finishing skills, but he's going to need to land something solid on Machida's chin first. I think that if he can dominate the same as he did the last fight he will be aggressive enough to get the late KO, but I think that Machida will go in as the slight favorite.

Post #17   4/29/10 12:25:17AM   

warglory

Heavyweight Champ

warglory Avatar

Career:535-344
Chips:

Posted by Ordep

I've always said Bon Jones have very skinny legs, Shogun could easily leg kick him into misery.
I cant think of anyone to have "his number" you can make the case for some to beat him but it wont be like a sure shot or anytime (i.e. number).

Injured hand?
First, lame excuse. Second, what difference does that make? He was backpedaling like always but Shogun was smart enough to not fall on the trap. Unless he wasn't fighting forward because of the "injury" yeah right.

What is this, 2008 all over again? Machida doesn't backpedal, he is evasive, there is a huge difference. You make it sound like he refused to exchange with Shogun when in reality for every leg kick Shogun threw Machida would answer with a punch. Machida has every tool to beat Shogun, and I think he will.

Post #18   4/29/10 12:18:40PM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Career:534-389
Chips:

Posted by sbulldavid

Shogun Nuthugger Here ! LOL. I still think Machida is his equal, Shogun should have won the first fight but, the crying is over, he's gotta do it again and that is a tough task. Shogun has the best tools in the world, he's the better fighter on the ground, but he'll probably never get it there. He still has to play the guessing game for 5 rounds and he's been dropped often in his career, if Machida drops him it's going to be a short night. A big part of Shogun's game is his finishing skills, but he's going to need to land something solid on Machida's chin first. I think that if he can dominate the same as he did the last fight he will be aggressive enough to get the late KO, but I think that Machida will go in as the slight favorite.

Um, how is Shogun better on the ground? Both are BJJ black belts but Lyoto also trained in Sumo. And were these the shots that you said he needed to land?

Image Attachment(s):

Photo Attachment 1
Photo Attachment 2
Photo Attachment 3

Post #19   4/29/10 4:42:52PM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:2,212-1,253
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
I think their ground games are very different. Shogun transitions extremely well and is hard to control. Machida holds position very well and would likely hold top position.

If Machida was on Top, i can see him winning the round by sitting in guard, posturing, and controlling. If Shogun was on top, i can see him improving position landing Gnp and losing his position in favor of seeking damage.

For their respective skillsets, i think they are both equally good on the ground as their bjj skills compliment their fighting styles.

WIth that said, i think Machida has some of the best takedown defense in the game. I dont like shogun's odds of winning if he tries for takedowns. He'll just tire himself out.

Post #20   4/29/10 4:54:02PM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Chips:

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

I've gotta defend my boy Machida and call out Pookie at the same time. First I will post a prop that Pookie gave me on August 6, 2008. "Machida's nuts, they have more than enough room for the both of us."

Machida definitely has the power to defeat Shogun, if anything Shogun didn't have the power to knock out Machida since as you say "he landed the more powerful shots." Lyoto will game plan accordingly and also, correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Shogun get another mark in the loss column when he fought Machida?

Aww, you noticed

I dont think Machida has the power necassary to make shogun abandon his aggressive gameplan. But shogun did prove his power was enough to debilitate machida's base and mobility. He worked his way up, Machida rarely got hit in the face so of course there's not going to be a knockout.

He did get a loss marked in the column, but that means little compared to how effective his gameplan was for countering Lyoto's damn near untoachable style of fighting. In my opinion, Lyoto's way of fighting is not adequate for dealing with powerful leg strikes, and coupled with the fact that Lyoto has never had to deal with them - i dont think he will adapt as well as Shogun. A fighter who's made his name by adapting his game to the styles hes faced.

Post #21   4/29/10 5:00:37PM   

lohmann

A Black Belt in Jiu-Jitsu

lohmann Avatar

Career:1,804-980
Chips:
This fight is going to be great.

It could end in ten seconds, but the answer will be worth it.

EDIT: Anderson Silva.

Last edited 4/29/10 5:03PM server time by lohmann
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #22   4/29/10 5:01:35PM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Pookie

I dont think Machida has the power necassary to make shogun abandon his aggressive gameplan. But shogun did prove his power was enough to debilitate machida's base and mobility. He worked his way up, Machida rarely got hit in the face so of course there's not going to be a knockout.

He did get a loss marked in the column, but that means little compared to how effective his gameplan was for countering Lyoto's damn near untoachable style of fighting. In my opinion, Lyoto's way of fighting is not adequate for dealing with powerful leg strikes, and coupled with the fact that Lyoto has never had to deal with them - i dont think he will adapt as well as Shogun. A fighter who's made his name by adapting his game to the styles hes faced.

You don't think that Anderson Silva can help Machida with leg kicks?

Post #23   4/29/10 5:10:00PM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Chips:

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Posted by Pookie

I think if he can than he already did going into the first fight.

Also, even though Anderson and Shogun are both muay thai fighters, i think they have completely different styles.

Post #24   4/29/10 5:14:23PM   

warglory

Heavyweight Champ

warglory Avatar

Career:535-344
Chips:

Posted by Pookie

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Posted by Pookie

I think if he can than he already did going into the first fight.

Also, even though Anderson and Shogun are both muay thai fighters, i think they have completely different styles.

Yeah but he now has experience under his belt which is a huge factor. Now that he knows the power of Shogun's biggest offense, I think he will have the proper education to train with.

Post #25   4/29/10 5:44:31PM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Chips:
It's not so to say that Anderson didn't help him going into the first fight, I just don't think they anticipated that Shogun was gonna put a premium on the leg kicks. Machida is like a Peyton Manning. He's a master game-planner. Which is why up until the Shogun fight he was the least hit fighter in MMA history. I think he will gameplan accordingly. Obviously, there's only enough room on Machida's nuts for one of us

Ad: FanDuel launches Mixup daily fantasy sports for casual fans

Post #26   4/29/10 6:30:16PM   

enrique1

Learning to Sprawl

Career:540-478
Chips:
i would love too see a rematch between Forrest & Shogun. The first fight Shogun wasn't ready and not familar with the octogon....... Shogun would streamrool over Forrest in the rematch...

Post #27   4/29/10 7:29:07PM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Chips:
I think that was just a bad match-up for Shogun. I don't think the results would be too much different if Griffin re-matched him. Just my humble opinion.

Post #28   4/29/10 7:44:25PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:
I was at the first fight sitting pretty close.. and I still have to say that there was no clear cut winner of that fight from the way I saw it.

Shogun has the power advantage for sure. He definitely landed the bigger shots.

That being said, Lyoto clearly has the speed advantage from the way I saw it. I have never seen anyone that was anywhere near his size move so fast in my life. Especially his leg speed.

It's going to be interesting how it plays out. I remember Pookie talking about leg kicks potentially hurting Lyoto's style but I honestly didn't buy it going into the first fight. I thought his recognition of leg strikes was too quick for him to get caught. Honestly- middle of the Octagon it was. But when Shogun squashed Lyoto's range by using the cage effectively that's when he could land on Lyoto. Which was another thing I remember talking to Pookie about. You've got to squash Lyoto's ability to use diagonal movement to retreat. Which Shogun seemed to do pretty well with great offensive footwork that I clearly underestimated.

The only answer I can honestly see Machida coming up with to counter Shogun's excellent footwork and use of the cage is to use more hand defense and keep his hips under him in order to defend those leg kicks. If you notice Machida never gets hit in the face because when he's attacked he pulls his upper body backwards and thrusts his lower body forward in order to take away space and make his opponents reach to touch his chin. That's why head hunter type fighters will always have trouble with him and that's why if you take away his ability to retreat diagonally backwards his legs are exposed.

Anyways- my point begin I think I will pick Shogun in that rematch unless Machida comes out with more active hands and less movement backwards into the cage. I think it will be damn close again, though. Shogun will more than likely catch a couple shots during some pursuits and Lyoto will more than likely catch a couple body/leg shots when he's had his range stuffed.

Post #29   4/29/10 7:45:33PM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Chips:
I can't help but wonder if Lyoto is going to implement more of a ground game for this rematch. I think it would be an effective tool for him to use since Shogun clearly had issues trying to take him down in their first fight. I understand that Machida is a counter fighter but that would be all the more reason to use his takedowns because it's probably not something that Shogun would be expecting.

Post #30   4/29/10 7:53:30PM   

Page 2 of 3     1     2     3