Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

REPORT: Brandon Marshall (WR) traded to the...

Print  
  Page 2 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

emfleek

Your Mom Is A Whore

emfleek Avatar

Career:3,180-1,718
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Davone Bess isn't exactly a scrub. Granted, he's going to see a drop off in catches with the arrival of Marshall, but in my opinion, it's pretty much a guarantee that Henne is better this year. Any time you upgrade at the WR position, your QB gets better.

Chad Henne just went back to square one.

So gaining a STUD receiver doesn't make him better, but losing a 4th (possibly 5th) receiver drops him back to "square one"?

Last edited 4/16/10 3:01PM server time by emfleek
Edit note/reason: n/a
2 total post edits

Ads FanDuel launches Mixup, a fun version of daily fantasy sports for casual fans

Post #16   4/16/10 2:49:02PM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Career:534-389
Chips:
No, he was a stud at Hawaii but having three options is always better than two. Ask Brees, Manning, Manning, Brady...etc, I know I'm naming the NFL's elite but let's be real, Cassell, who hadn't started a game since high school, had a pretty studly year with the multiple options of that Patriots offense. Then...the Chiefs. The spread offense is becoming the norm in the NFL. There's almost little difference in stats between your second and third option nowadays. Sometimes there's little difference between the first, second and third. On a team like the Colts and Saints, it doesn't matter who you are, if you're open, expect to catch the ball. Albeit, those teams have tremendous options no matter who they are throwing the ball to but the point remains. It made no sense for the Dolphins to trade Ginn Jr. especially for a fifth round pick.

Most mock drafts have the Dolphins selecting a tackle or linebacker in the first round. There's some speculation that if Dez Bryant is there they could select him. However, with Parcells in charge, I don't see him taking Bryant just because he is available. Parcells is a master strategist and will more than likely fill the voids.

With the Dolphins not having another pick until the third round this makes it difficult for them to get a high quality receiver unless they find a diamond in the rough, which Parcells could do. They could trade up but I don't think there's enough of a stock in this years draft at the WR position to make it worth their while to do so.

Post #17   4/16/10 3:14:19PM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Chips:

Posted by emfleek

Davone Bess isn't exactly a scrub. Granted, he's going to see a drop off in catches with the arrival of Marshall, but in my opinion, it's pretty much a guarantee that Henne is better this year. Any time you upgrade at the WR position, your QB gets better.

Chad Henne just went back to square one.

So gaining a STUD receiver doesn't make him better, but losing a 4th (possibly 5th) receiver drops him back to "square one"?

I would hardly call Ginn a fourth or a fifth. After the departure of Ginn, the Fins have Hartline, Marshall, Bess, Camarillo and Turner. Now Turner is more of a possession receiver, that was his role at USC. He's yet to prove anything in the NFL. Camarillo is clearly their fifth best option. For the sake of this argument, because we are talking about receivers, I'm excluding Fasano.

Ginn Jr clearly made that team better. Now it's just Hartline, Marshall and Bess. Ginn was probably the third option on that team. Stats wise Bess was their first option with Ginn and Hartline posting relatively similar numbers across the board as far as receivers go. The Fins don't have a 1000 yard receiver. Marshall is a stud, but he's also a troublesome stud who hasn't really had a completely healthy season since he's joined the league and comes with numerous off the field issues.

Last edited 4/16/10 3:25PM server time by blueskiesburn

Post #18   4/16/10 3:24:54PM   

ncordless

MODulation

ncordless Avatar

Career:2,076-1,211
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Not to mention that I believe the days of having serviceable QB's, an amazing defense and winning a championship are coming to an end. Right now it's leaning towards having a high powered offense and a serviceable defense.

I have heard that one before... back when the west coast offense was the "new thing" that the spread packages are today.

Football is still football and will always be football... there is no offensive or defensive package that is going to change the fact that a really strong defense with a medicore offense (especially one that can control the clock) can win championships while a team with a really strong offense and medicore defense cannot.

Usually, the super bowl is won by a team that can play both sides of the ball well. But if the choice is between a really strong O and a strong D, give me the strong D every time.

Post #19   4/16/10 3:25:23PM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Chips:
I would agree but the problem is that the Jet's were pretty much bottom half or abysmal in every offensive category last year with the exception of rushing. If you know that's all a team can do to beat you then you just load 8 in the box and stop the run. Not to mention that the Jets lost productivity in the backfield. They didn't replace it. That #1 in the league rushing stat will not hold true this upcoming season. They were 31st in the league in passing yards per game. The only team worse than them were the Browns. And they were only roughly 20ypg better than the Browns. Even the Lions were MUCH better than the Jets in yards per game passing.

It's a one sided affair with the Jets right now. I'm not a Jets hater, I realize it's starting to look like that, I root for Sanchez as a lifelong SC fan but he's not the guy right now and the numbers prove it.

Last edited 4/16/10 3:35PM server time by blueskiesburn

Post #20   4/16/10 3:32:25PM   

NatedawgThaM

MMA Sensei

NatedawgThaM Avatar

Career:676-444
Chips:
YES YES YES YES YES!!!!!!!!!!!! HUGE DOLPHINS FAN!!!!

GINN MADE US BETTER? HAHA Yeah he's good for kick returning but Im not crying that he's gone. He dropped the game winning pass against the colts, dropped a key reception when trying to come back against the saints. Not to mention all the other dropped passes. Maybe he would have been better this year since he wouldn't be relied on as the go to guy, but Im still not upset.

Bess is a solid receiver IMO Hes got potential and I consider him a sleeper this year. Glad we got Dansby too, I was scared since the Jets made those 3 huges gains last week but Dolphins caught up just like that with just one transaction. We need to keep taylor though to keep our defense decent. But it was obvious our main problem was our offensive playmaking ability. We made up for it with the wildcat 2 years ago but it only worked cuz it threw teams off but last year they expected it so it wasn't as effective. Our running game is solid, one of the best in the league IMO as Ronnie Brown always is up their(I know 2 years ago he was the leading league rusher before he hurt his knee) but thats all we had, Pennington was good for not making too many mistakes and being accuracy, but if we were done in games their was no way to comeback because you can't have the ball at the opponents 20, and run your way to the endzone with 2 minutes left in the game. So now we have a solid go to guy to go with henne who has the power to deliver him the ball.

Now all we need to do is keep Taylor for the pass rush and touch up our HORRIBLE pass defense. if we don't sign taylor or make huge changes with the draft or free agency to our secondary I won't expect much this year because if you have terrible pass defense and then don't even have a good pass rush, quarterbacks will have a field day with us. Obviously Taylor's a great positve team leader, still has something left in him, he loves miami so why have we not resigned him yet?

Post #21   4/18/10 2:11:27AM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Chips:
I'm sorry, the Dolphins did not catch up to the Jets with the acquisition of Marshall. You're delusional if you think that. The Jets are leaps and bounds better than the Dolphins and Jason Taylor is an aging linebacker whose biggest strength is his leadership. Ginn did make the Dolphins better regardless of his dropped catches. And how is Bess a sleeper? He led the Dolphins in receptions. He was third in the league for rookies in receptions and had the second most receptions in NFL history for an undrafted rookie.

Post #22   4/18/10 3:10:55PM   

NatedawgThaM

MMA Sensei

NatedawgThaM Avatar

Chips:

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

I'm sorry, the Dolphins did not catch up to the Jets with the acquisition of Marshall. You're delusional if you think that. The Jets are leaps and bounds better than the Dolphins and Jason Taylor is an aging linebacker whose biggest strength is his leadership. Ginn did make the Dolphins better regardless of his dropped catches. And how is Bess a sleeper? He led the Dolphins in receptions. He was third in the league for rookies in receptions and had the second most receptions in NFL history for an undrafted rookie.

Brandon Marshall > LT, Holmes, and Cromartie. Not combined but the better player of all 4 IMO. LT still isn't what he use to be. Holmes gets in too much trouble more then Marshall. Cromartie's good but still.

And because 80% of the fans I would bet never even heard of Bess. Thats why he's a sleeper. Just because you know all that doesn't mean everybody does.

Also I'm just saying Ginn is replaceable. Get another fast WR/CB that is sick with kick returns and he's already as productive as Ginn. Ginn is really a 2nd/3rd round talent IMO.

Last edited 4/18/10 7:36PM server time by Natedawgtham

Post #23   4/18/10 7:35:05PM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Chips:
Again, Marshall is riddled with injuries and has MULTIPLE off the field problems. IMO Holmes is a better receiver than Marshall. He's not injury prone. Sure, both of them act like jackasses of the field but Holmes comes without injuries. Even if you think Marshall is the better receiver the fact still remains that Holmes, Cromartie and LT are a combined MUCH better pick up than Marshall.

Marshall will never be an elite NFL receiver. I doubt he will even have a ten year career. He's been banged up since entering the league and can't keep his **** straight when he's not playing. Holmes hasn't been injured like Marshall has, and they were taken in the same draft. Holmes is clearly the better catch out of the two of them. If you ask 10 GM's which player do you want, a stud receiver who's been in the league for four years but hasn't had a healthy season and has numerous off the field problems or a good receiver with no injury issues but an equal amount of off the field issues, ten out of ten GM's will take the latter.

Marshall was fourth round talent, which is why he was selected there. Holmes was a first round pick. Even if you clean up their off the field issues you still have the following to deal with: pulled quads, pulled groin, cut right forearm, hip surgery, and a PCL tear. That's five injuries in four years. Please tell me how he's the better pick up.

Last edited 4/19/10 6:05AM server time by blueskiesburn

Post #24   4/19/10 5:59:21AM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Chips:
4 year career stats

Santonio Holmes: Receptions 235
Receiving Yards 3,835
Receiving Touchdowns 20
Total Return Yards 932
Total Return Touchdowns 1

Brandon Marshall: Receptions 327
Receiving Yards 4,019
Receiving TDs 25

Holmes has had close to 100 catches less and has almost the same amount of yards and TD's and none of the injuries. Not to mention he's a dual threat as a kick returner.

Last edited 4/19/10 6:20AM server time by blueskiesburn
3 total post edits

Post #25   4/19/10 6:17:56AM   

NatedawgThaM

MMA Sensei

NatedawgThaM Avatar

Chips:
Marshall was drafted out of central Florida. While Holmes was drafted out of Ohio State. Of course Holmes is going to get more exposure and be drafted higher. All I meant by the Ginn statement is he hasn't lived up to the 1st round talent, I mean I think we could have addressed other needs. Marshall has proven to be a STEAL in that draft.

You bring up injuries and being taken in the same draft, not to mention Holmes was taking higher not to mention you keep saying Marshall hasn't had a healthy season YET Marshall STILL has the higher numbers? End of question Marshall is the better pick up.

Not to mention Marshall's starting at the beginning of the season and Holmes is going to miss the beginning of the season. Which is key when you can't afford to lose a week in the NFL. We picked up Karlos Dansby too replacing the getting older Joey Porter. Another sick addition.

Ads FanDuel launches Mixup, a fun version of daily fantasy sports for casual fans

Post #26   4/19/10 6:12:21PM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Chips:
I'm still looking at the long term and who's going to have a more productive NFL career. Anybody can have great numbers for a couple years or a year and then fizzled out. I could bring up Rick Ankiel of the Cardinals.

Ginn has yet to live up to the potential but I think he will have enormous success opposite Crabtree in San Francisco. Holmes will miss the first four games, yes, but as I've already stated I don't think having him there will necessarily improve the Jets passing game anyhow because of the Sanchez factor. I am saying that on the right team Holmes can be very effective. He has just been on two teams that favor the power running game. The point of showing those numbers was to say that Holmes can be just as effective given the opportunity. He put up those numbers in a system that pounds the run. The Broncos haven't had that power running game since Shannahan left. Cutler is a passing QB and so is Orton.

Post #27   4/20/10 6:40:15PM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Chips:
So much for Taylor re-signing with the Dolphins...he signed with THE JETS!

Post #28   4/21/10 2:23:40AM   

NeaRMisS

MMA Regular

Career:69-53
Chips:

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

So much for Taylor re-signing with the Dolphins...he signed with THE JETS!

Really upset that the dolphins treated him like this. This just hurts. I hope he kicks ass for the jets, as I am a huge taylor fan but seriously hope we can still 2-0 the jets next season. Time will tell....

Post #29   4/21/10 10:40:22PM   

Page 2 of 2     1     2