Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Whats next for Frank Mir

Print  
Whats next for frank mir?
Freakshow match: Kimbo/James Toney 8 14%
Junior Dos Santos 18 31%
Cain Velasquez 6 10%
Antônio Rodrigo Nogueira rematch 17 29%
A move too strikeforce 3 5%
Someone Undeserving of a fight 7 12%
  Page 2 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

lohmann

A Black Belt in Jiu-Jitsu

lohmann Avatar

Career:1,616-882
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by Pookie

He's lost twice recently and Kongo is not a meaningful win. This puts him below santos and velasuqez. You either have to give him a meaningless fight or Gonzaga.

He's also linked to the most popular feud in MMA history. As long as Lesnar's champion, interest for a rubber match will be there so he'll always be at most two wins from a title shot.

Whomever they give Mir next, his opponent will probably receive much more hype going into the fight than his skills justify. My guess is the winner of Nelson-Struve, since Gonzaga poses a little threat, at least.

Post #16   3/29/10 6:05:46AM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,262-1,196
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Give him Cro Cop.

Post #17   3/29/10 9:25:58AM   

sbulldavid

Heavyweight Champ

sbulldavid Avatar

Career:1,378-801
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
I forgot about Gonzaga, but that makes the most sense.

Last edited 3/29/10 10:11AM server time by sbulldavid
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #18   3/29/10 10:10:04AM   

GDK

MMA Regular

GDK Avatar

Career:1,651-1,150
Chips:
I would like
Cain Vs Mir
To legitemize Cains claim for a title shot
So Jr can Vs Kongo (Both coming off a win)
And Nog can Vs Gonzaga (Both coming off a loss)
While Lesnar Vs Carwin for the belt.
Winner of Struve/Nelson can Vs Duffee/Russow

But I suspect Dana will save Cain for later
Leaving a Mir Vs Jr matchup
Probably Kongo Vs Nog

Post #19   3/29/10 12:35:34PM   

MisterFreeze

Standup Guy

MisterFreeze Avatar

Career:317-283
Chips:
It all depends! Do you want Frank to lose again? In that case give him Junior Dos Santos.
Do you want to give Frank an actual shot at winning again? Give him a lower level guy, maybe CroCop or Mustapha Al Turk.

Post #20   3/29/10 1:04:13PM   

the-james

Standup Guy

the-james Avatar

Career:891-471
Chips:
A bout with Gonzaga makes the most sense, Gonzaga is better than mir everywhere imo tho so the ufc might throw him an "rebound" fight like Tuchscherer or the winner of Rothwell/Yvel maybe even toney but thats unlikely

Post #21   3/29/10 9:42:04PM   

TheCatFather

Standup Guy

TheCatFather Avatar

Career:1,891-1,285
Camp: BedlamMMA
Chips:
I don't think he can hang with JDS or Velazquez and I am not interested in a Nog rematch. I can see him fighting a Roy Big Country or maybe Kimbo. Right now he has to go back to the drawing board and figure out what he wants, does he just want to be a stepping stone fighter or does he want that gold? I think his days are numbered but lets wait and see.

Post #22   3/31/10 2:20:35PM   

gartface

Heavyweight Champ

gartface Avatar

Career:1,406-898
Camp: Hand Grenade Hillbillies
Chips:
A lot of people are losing faith after one loss... I think he could give Dos Santos or Cain problems if he can get them to the ground. That's a big if, but at the same time, this sport is very unpredictable at times.

Post #23   3/31/10 3:21:52PM   

BustedKnuckle

MMA Sensei

BustedKnuckle Avatar

Career:659-381
Chips:

Posted by eyeforeigneye

give Mir the winner of Nelson/Struve, it'll be a good rebound win for Mir to stay legit or it'd be a huge win for either of those dudes.

Hit it on the head my man. And I think a fight between Big Country and Frank would be a great fight. Somones else beat me to the punch with GG as well. It would be a stand up fight with Frank Winning IMO. He can't keep on this track of getting his head beat in though.

Post #24   3/31/10 4:57:40PM   

jarod1005

Learning to Sprawl

jarod1005 Avatar

Career:-
Chips:
Doesn't matter! He is done as a legitimate force in the heavyweights. He will be a reclycle fight much like, Nogueira, Kongo, Gonzaga, Cro Cop, etc. The afforementioned will never be real heavyweights champs, albeit, they have each lived to fight another day........ somehow.

I knew was going to lose as soon as he said that he would bulk up to 265 lbs. for the Kongo fight. I mean, power is not, and has never been his game. His ground game (i.e., Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu) and his semi-boxing were his strengths. Outside of Sylvia, he has never really beaten anyone of substantial quality; Hardonk, Christison, Sims (twice) and Abbott. None of those guys were ever going to be (UFC) champions.

Wrestlers are physically much stronger that jiu-jitsu fighters. Now, throw in some stand up boxing, sprawling, rolling and brutal ground and pound, and you have the more dominant specimen.

Let's see:

Lesnar and Carwin annihilated Mir.

Carwin crushed Gonzaga.

Marquardt defeated Maia.

Cain Velasquez.

Silva likes to stand more than grapple. But he will if he has to (i.e., Travis Lutter).

Rich Franklin and Vitor Belfort.

Rashad and "Rampage" are always going to be wrestlers/boxers.

Liddell, 'nuff said. He lost 4 out of last 5 fights, but they were all against stand up type of fighters.

Last but not least, Matt Hughes. This guy can smash any Gracie Jiu-Jitsu.

Nope. There is nothing bright on the horizon for Frank Mir. He can fight "Country" Nelson...... lol.... hahahahaha......

Interviewer: What's your prediction for the fight?
Clubber Lang: My prediction?
Interviewer: Yes, your prediction.
[Clubber looks into camera]
Clubber Lang: Pain!

Last edited 4/5/10 1:29PM server time by jarod1005
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #25   4/5/10 1:28:47PM   

State_Champ

MMA Sensei

State_Champ Avatar

Career:1,433-855
Camp: The Evil Empire
Chips:
What's next for Frank Mir?

Learn to move when you get hit, Frank!!!

He just stayed stationary ate the punches of Lesnar (in the 1st round of their 2nd fight) and Carwin (in the 1st round of their first fight)....

Seeing Frank Mir lose makes me almost as happy as seeing Rashad Evans lose

Post #26   4/5/10 5:28:44PM   

Omega_8

MMA Regular

Omega_8 Avatar

Career:988-604
Camp: THE NATION OF DOMINATION
Chips:
I think Mir's best options are not in the UFC. he should head to Strikeforce, he could get a fight in with the winner of Arlovski/Silva, and if he needs a tune up match before then, then he could fight Roger Gracie. course im sure Mir still has a handful of fights left on his UFC contract so i dont see this happeneing.

since he's likely going to be staying in the UFC, hes going to have to settle for being the 4th maybe 5th best heavyweight. he cant beat Cane, or JDS, and he obviously cant beat Carwin. he could fight Roy Nelson, but i dont see that fight happening. Kimbo or James Toney would be stupid, and a waste of time.

sooo i think we're going to see either Mir/Gonzaga(i think Gonzaga would have a good chance in this one, i dunno why but its just the vibe im getting)

and if not that then i think we shoud see Mir/Herring. a win for Mir would give him a win over a semi-decent opponent, while a win for Herring would really do nothing other then make me happy haha.

Post #27   4/6/10 3:45:34PM   

CwB

MMA Sensei

CwB Avatar

Career:221-151
Chips:
GG, Big Country, Rothwell all get a

But just saw this article today,

Ohio Tests Amateur Cruiser Weight

I know Mir has bulked up recently to the 265 limit but, he still cant compete with the big boys and if he cut his walk around weight back to 240'ish he could make the 225 cut off

Post #28   4/6/10 4:22:55PM   

Page 2 of 2     1     2