Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Fedor Emelianenko Signs with Strikeforce

Print  
  Page 2 of 5     1     2     3     4     5  
Posted By Message

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,327-1,229
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
This can only mean one thing...

More FREE events for UFC fans (counter-programming, b*tches!!!).

Post #16   8/3/09 1:54:33PM   

Mayhem13

MMA Sensei

Mayhem13 Avatar

Career:2,175-1,292
Camp: Team Sakara Eye Punch
Chips:
Well, obviously I woulda rather seen him sign with the UFC...but this would be my second choice for sure.

I would much rather see him fight Rogers, Overeem, Arlovski (again) and Werdum....then go to Japan and fight Jose Canseco, Minowa and Nortje

Last edited 8/3/09 2:27PM server time by mayhem13
Edit note/reason: n/a
2 total post edits

Post #17   8/3/09 2:22:47PM   

snakeplissken

Standup Guy

snakeplissken Avatar

Career:1,747-1,230
Camp: BAMMA UK
Chips:
Seriously people have you not worked it out yet? It's all a big smoke screen by Fedor & the UFC... Fedor's been on the payroll from the very start allowing Dana and the UFC to wipe out all the competition by putting every promotion out of business so the UFC can reign supreme, it just so happens that Strikeforce is next so the UFC can get Carano and Overeem on cheap deals.

However let's just hope that the Russian Kryptonite doesn't wield it's power on the UFC when he (Eventually) gets there...

Post #18   8/3/09 2:49:11PM   

moob

In Full Mount

moob Avatar

Career:1,323-880
Chips:
Disappointing in a way, as this significantly narrows his potential opponents.

What bothers me is the posters who believe Fedor is dodging anyone - why would he need to dodge anyone?

Bottom line is the UFC didn't wanna co-promote an event, and it's their ego that's getting in the way of what the fans want.

Last edited 8/3/09 2:52PM server time by moob

Post #19   8/3/09 2:50:41PM   

whardin19

MMA Sensei

whardin19 Avatar

Career:1,004-606
Camp: B-Robs Terror
Chips:
I'm not going to sit here and say Fedor dodged the UFC (even though I think he did). But this guys demands were crazy and maybe just maybe this guy has lost his mind with his 30-1 record and no ones brought him down yet. There are a few fights at Strikeforce that will be good. But after that Fedor has nothing to fight there. I just hope we never hear of Fedor to the UFC again.

Post #20   8/3/09 2:51:46PM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,327-1,229
Chips:

Posted by moob

Bottom line is the UFC didn't wanna co-promote an event, and it's their ego that's getting in the way of what the fans want.

Um, no...it's smart business. How's Fedor's track record with companies so far?

Post #21   8/3/09 2:59:00PM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-505
Chips:

Posted by moob

Disappointing in a way, as this significantly narrows his potential opponents.

What bothers me is the posters who believe Fedor is dodging anyone - why would he need to dodge anyone?

You can replace "ego" with "business sense". What does M-1 have to offer along the lines of co-promotion? Absolutely nothing. It has nothing to do with ego, it's called running a business. M-1 can do absolutely nothing to help the UFC when it comes to promoting.

Fedor isn't worth the amount of money he gets paid. He might be the best, but he does not have great drawing power. I'm sure that the UFC knows that Fedor's pricetag is bigger than his drawing power and any second tier promotion that picks him up will surely die under the combined stress of his paycheck and the UFC's counter-programming. Strikeforce and DREAM will likely soon be dead and the UFC should be able to tighten their stranglehold on the market while forcing top fighters without a home to settle for less money, including Fedor.

Post #22   8/3/09 3:03:37PM   

moob

In Full Mount

moob Avatar

Chips:

Posted by emfleek

Posted by moob

Um, no...it's smart business. How's Fedor's track record with companies so far?

I think that's immaterial when it comes to giving the fans what they want.

It's hardly like the temporary employment of Fedor is likely to decimate the UFC as a business - that's not a credible argument imo.

Post #23   8/3/09 3:09:01PM   

moob

In Full Mount

moob Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Aether

Fedor isn't worth the amount of money he gets paid. He might be the best, but he does not have great drawing power. I'm sure that the UFC knows that Fedor's pricetag is bigger than his drawing power and any second tier promotion that picks him up will surely die under the combined stress of his paycheck and the UFC's counter-programming. Strikeforce and DREAM will likely soon be dead and the UFC should be able to tighten their stranglehold on the market while forcing top fighters without a home to settle for less money, including Fedor.

Sorry, but I'm dead against the whole idea of the UFC monopolizing the sport.

Post #24   8/3/09 3:10:54PM   

scobac

BANNED

scobac Avatar

Career:165-137
Chips:

Posted by moob

Posted by Aether

If the ufc is a monopoly it's not their fault the other promotions are killing themselve with poor bussiness sense (lack of ego).

EDIT: giving the fans what they want (as you say) is only good for right now, the ufc has the sports future in mind and as a fan myself thats what I want.

Last edited 8/3/09 3:20PM server time by scobac

Post #25   8/3/09 3:18:38PM   

Nightmare27

In Full Mount

Nightmare27 Avatar

Career:570-410
Camp: Strikers Inc.
Chips:
I guess that I am the only one who is glad to see this. If he isnt going to the UFC this is the next best thing.

Post #26   8/3/09 3:22:22PM   

Gannon

MMA Regular

Gannon Avatar

Career:2,162-1,175
Chips:
Sad about this one. Fedor doesn't have anybody to fight there.

Post #27   8/3/09 3:22:58PM   

moob

In Full Mount

moob Avatar

Chips:

Posted by scobac

Posted by moob

Posted by Aether

If the ufc is a monopoly it's not their fault the other promotions are killing themselve with poor bussiness sense (lack of ego).

EDIT: giving the fans what they want (as you say) is only good for right now, the ufc has the sports future in mind and as a fan myself thats what I want.

Other promotions have generally shot themselves in the foot, granted, but you simply cannot state that the UFC didn't have a hand in their demise on any level.

Whilst the UFC popularised the sport of MMA, there is room for other outfits to give fighters a chance - the UFC simply doesn't have the capacity to accommodate them, which in the end is neither good for the sport or the fans.

Last edited 8/3/09 3:26PM server time by moob

Post #28   8/3/09 3:25:29PM   

scobac

BANNED

scobac Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Nightmare27

I guess that I am the only one who is glad to see this. If he isnt going to the UFC this is the next best thing.

next best thing for who? him? fans? If he kills that promotion it's a bad thing, strikeforce puts out some good cards and if they get destroyed over 2 or 3 events with fedor then I hardly think it's worth it for the fans in the long run.

Post #29   8/3/09 3:25:53PM   

scobac

BANNED

scobac Avatar

Chips:

Posted by moob

Posted by scobac

Posted by moob

Other promotions have generally shot themselves in the foot, granted, but you simply cannot state that the UFC didn't have a hand in their demise on any level.

Whilst the UFC popularised the sport of MMA, there is room for other outfits to give fighters a chance - the UFC simply doesn't have the capacity to accommodate them, which in the end is neither good for the sport or the fans.

Bottom line is these other orgs do themselves in, ofcourse ufc is looking out for themselves with counter programing but there is plenty of room for co exsistence if the right choices in the org are made, it's not dana's or zuffa's fault these promotions cant promote themselves properly to gain popularity, all they seem to do is jump the gun to try and win the top promotion race while the ufc understands its a marathon.

Post #30   8/3/09 3:34:47PM   

Page 2 of 5     1     2     3     4     5