Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

how would nick diaz fair in the UFC ethier MW or WW

Print  
Nick in the UFC again?
MW title contender 2 3%
MW top tier fighter 3 5%
MW gate keeper 9 14%
WW title contender 14 21%
WW top tier fighter 26 39%
WW gate keeper 12 18%
  Page 2 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

PABLOMAFIOSO

In Full Mount

PABLOMAFIOSO Avatar

Career:979-657
Chips:
Nick can't ever crack the top 8 at MW or the top 15 at WW IMO. [.

WTF? Nick Diaz can walk straight into the top 10 of the UFC WW division! who is number 15 if Diaz can't quite make it?

Post #16   4/12/09 8:58:34PM   

slapshot

In Full Mount

slapshot Avatar

Career:546-340
Camp: Ultimate Fighter Top Team
Chips:
Nick would do fine, people forget it was him that walked away from the UFC and not the other way around he was fighting at WW at the time, there are some fighters that might pose a problem for him but most dont want to go to the ground with him.

Nicks frame is definitely large enough that he could jump up to WW with little issue MW might be a stretch. The thing is I dont think Nick wants to fight for the UFC so it's really a moot point.

I struggle to think of 8 fighters in either division that Nick absolutely cant beat. Top 5 at welter weight and top ten in middle weight sounds about right to me. There are a lot of Diaz haters out there that dont respect his skill so nuff said.

Posted by grappler0000

The UFC's WW division is stacked with wrestlers...and wrestlers are Nick's kryptonite. We've seen it before.

I dont agree, looking back on his loses yes a good number of them were wrestlers however the fights were mostly striking on the feet and not on the ground.

Last edited 4/13/09 2:28AM server time by slapshot
Edit note/reason: n/a
3 total post edits

Post #17   4/13/09 2:17:30AM   

mentalcase

Crazy asshole

mentalcase Avatar

Career:1,723-896
Chips:

Posted by grappler0000

The UFC's WW division is stacked with wrestlers...and wrestlers are Nick's kryptonite. We've seen it before.

this is one of the things i dont like about the UFC rules and cage when powerful wrestles can hold the more skilled fighter down and neutralize there bjj (nate diaz vs clay guida)

nicks 4 losses in the UFC were by decision and he was never in any danger in any of those fights

nicks only ever been beaten down once that was by Jeremy Jackson when they were young nick has revenged that loss twice since then

Last edited 4/13/09 4:20AM server time by mentalcase
2 total post edits

Post #18   4/13/09 4:12:40AM   

State_Champ

"I love you, my bitches!"

State_Champ Avatar

Career:2,289-1,424
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
Diaz is awesome, I love to watch the guy fight. It would be great if he came to the ufc now. I don't even care about what weight class he's in.
I think he would do really well in the UFC overall.

Post #19   4/13/09 12:42:17PM   

HulkRage

Standup Guy

HulkRage Avatar

Career:1,211-825
Camp: Mountain Top Fight Camp
Chips:
He was and would be a good gatekeeper for UFC WW.
If he could make and keep MW he would do OK, same for LW.
He is a scrapper and good all around, I think he could hang with most fighters he could match weight with.

Post #20   4/13/09 3:34:14PM   

FedortoAll

Learning to Sprawl

Career:879-453
Camp: fightlockdown
Chips:
Nick Diaz is an exciting fighter, but I don't think he'd be a contender at MW. There are simply too many good grapplers there. At WW, I could see him being a gatekeeper, but never a contender. While beating Shamrock is a nice notch on his belt, it doesn't mean all that much to me. Frank wasted his prime on the sidelines and he fought poorly on saturday.

Post #21   4/13/09 4:18:31PM   

SociopathX

MMA Regular

SociopathX Avatar

Career:210-126
Chips:
diaz would roll through the welterweight division. He'd beat GSP TOO!
WAR DIAZ

Post #22   4/14/09 10:39:39PM   

jocka

In Full Mount

jocka Avatar

Career:237-170
Chips:

Posted by SociopathX

diaz would roll through the welterweight division. He'd beat GSP TOO!
WAR DIAZ

LOL you have to be sarcastic, if he does come back he would easily be top 10 if not top 5 at WW. GSP-Alves-KOS-Fitch would beat him but except for them i don's see how else beats him.

He is way too small for MW.

I just hope he comes back to the UFC WW division, i love to see him fight.

Post #23   4/15/09 9:11:20AM   

gartface

Heavyweight Champ

gartface Avatar

Career:1,410-903
Chips:
UFC welterweights who would beat him:
1. Georges St. Pierre - Demolish on ground
2. Jon Fitch - Dominate on ground
3. Josh Koscheck - Dominate on ground
4. Mike Swick - Dominate on ground
5. Thiago Alves - Dominate in stand up
6. Diego Sanchez - Dominate on ground
7. Martin Kampmann - Close fight all around, but I think he bests him 9 times out of 10
8. Matt Hughes - Dominate on ground
9. BJ Penn (given he ever moves back up) - Dominate in the stand up
10. Karo Parisyan - Close decision again

UFC Middleweights who would beat him:
1. Anderson Silva - Dominate everywhere
2. Dan Henderson - Dominate on ground
3. Rich Franklin - Dominate in stand up
4. Yushin Okami - Dominate on ground
5. Nate Marquardt - Dominate everywhere
6. Demian Maia - Dominate on the ground - As good as Nick is on the ground Demian is that much better.
7. Michael Bisping - Dominate in stand up
8. Yoshihiro Akiyama - Close fight, but Akiyama wins in stand up
9. Goran Reljic - Dominate in stand up
10. Rousimar Palhares - Dominate on ground
11. Thales Leites - Dominate on ground

Nick is a good fighter, I'll give him that. I think that there was a great overreaction after his win over Frank Shamrock. That's the worst I think I've ever seen Frank Shamrock fight. If Nick was fighting a good striker during that fight, he would have gotten stopped. He leaves himself way too wide open throughout the fight, I don't know if he actually finds it effective or is just trying to get into the other fighter's head. I see Nick as a gatekeeper if he was ever to come back into the UFC, which I don't see ever happening in the first place.

Post #24   4/16/09 9:46:35AM   

Franklinfan47

Bow Down

Franklinfan47 Avatar

Career:3,077-1,712
Chips:
MW is out of the question if you ask me, he can beat some cans but the bigger middleweights would be too much for him in size and strength. Frank Shamrock is one thing, but a guy like Marqaurdt or Okami would hurt him.

I think he could be competitive at ww, so that would be his best bet, but even there, he'd never beat gsp, fitch, alves, koschek, imo. People forget that he's been in the ufc before and only had mixed success.

Post #25   4/16/09 10:27:41AM   

slapshot

In Full Mount

slapshot Avatar

Career:546-340
Camp: Ultimate Fighter Top Team
Chips:

Posted by gartface

UFC welterweights who would beat him:
1. Georges St. Pierre - Demolish on ground
2. Jon Fitch - Dominate on ground
3. Josh Koscheck - Dominate on ground
4. Mike Swick - Dominate on ground
5. Thiago Alves - Dominate in stand up
6. Diego Sanchez - Dominate on ground
7. Martin Kampmann - Close fight all around, but I think he bests him 9 times out of 10
8. Matt Hughes - Dominate on ground
9. BJ Penn (given he ever moves back up) - Dominate in the stand up
10. Karo Parisyan - Close decision again

LOL well you got 2 out of ten right...

Post #26   4/18/09 2:50:43AM   

gartface

Heavyweight Champ

gartface Avatar

Career:1,410-903
Chips:

Posted by slapshot
LOL well you got 2 out of ten right...

Which 8 are wrong, and why?

Post #27   4/18/09 3:05:46AM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:2,212-1,253
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
i dont know if 8 of them are wrong, but i do think some of them are inaccurate.
How i see things -

Georges St Pierre - The fight i see diaz getting his ass handed to him, with his tendency to like to fight on the bottom and a lack of head movement, i see him getting the worse on the feet and really battered on the bottom.

Fitch - I think fitch would probably take the decision due to staying on top, but i dont think as far as damage is concerned that Fitch wouldn't be able to impose his will too much on the ground. In the clinch i dont see fitch being able to batter Diaz like he would against alot of other welterweights, Diaz's clinch game and dirty boxing is often overlooked, hes really effective at that range. And on the feet at long to mid range Diaz would surely get the best of fitch in my opinion. I think Fitch would win a decision but i do think it would be boring with fitch playing it safe for the win.

Koscheck - with joshs tendency to stand up, and the way he likes to throw his punches, he could very well get picked apart on the feet. His trusty overhand right i dont see landing very often, and with diaz's ability to continue to throw and get in koschecks face the pressure would throw koscheck off his game. However koschecks bread and butter, his takedowns, are more then enough to take the fight to the ground. I cant think of a recent fight that showed if koschecks submission defense has improved, assuming it has i can see him winning a decision. I dont think his ground and pound will be much of a factor as diaz's constant sub attempts should force him on the defensive.
This is a fight i can see diaz winning if koscheck doesnt fight a smart fight, however if he does play it smart and keep diaz on bottom i can see him winning.

Swick - Im not sure how swick will react to a high volume high pressure fight, and whether or not hell be able to take 3 rounds at diaz's pace, since traditionally fighters with that build, who throw as much umph as swick does in his punches, tend to fade later on in fights where they are pushed. I think this would be a hot bout fight and im not sure who id take.
However, swick would not dominate Diaz on the ground as you mentioned.
Swicks reach advantage and explosiveness could cause problems for diaz if nick doesnt adjust quick, but i do see Diaz's chin being able to absorb more than swick can throw.

Thiago Alves - He murders nick stylistically, im not sure how long diaz's body would be able to hold up. The leg kicks take away his base and theres no chance of him putting alves on his back. I think it would be a brutal fight to watch.

Kampmann - Similarly to Condit i could see Diaz outworking him on the ground and making a disputable case as to whether or not Diaz won. On the feet he doesnt have the dynamic style of striking condit does, and diaz's striking defense has a bit to be desired against technical fighters who like to counter like kampmann does. I think Kampmann would do very well in this match-up. Kampmann's style is very technically sound and should make Diaz eat leather in order to dish it back out in alot of exchanges, he has the right style to keep diaz off of him. An accurate counter puncher who likes to operate at range.

Hughes - Right now with the layoff and the noticable deterioration of skills i think diaz would beat hughes, along with alot of other younger up and coming fighters.

Penn - Penn wins through samoan might and durability.

Karo - I personally think diaz won the first fight, and since that point i think diaz has improved more than Karo has. I think Diaz would beat him (again).

Hazellett - Diaz's bjj is good enough to nullify Hazellett's main strength, which is the ground game. On the feet its diaz all the way, i see this as an easy fight to pick.

Hopefully that rambling made sense

Last edited 4/18/09 4:04AM server time by pookie

Post #28   4/18/09 3:43:00AM   

team_demon_fighter

MMA Regular

team_demon_fighter Avatar

Career:751-523
Camp: Team Nightmarez
Chips:

Posted by seanfu

not good when he make the same money fighting other ufc washouts.

He would have been a ufc champ right now if they still did long fights but they don't. The Diaz brothers style is shitty for decions.

And probably even worse in a cage.

Diaz would wash out of either division, and 185 is WAYY to big for him. Nick could make 160 if there was one. Nick can't ever crack the top 8 at MW or the top 15 at WW IMO.

If the brothers actually learned how to go for a shot or how to hit hard 1 punch out of 10 they might have an okay shot. Personaly I think Nick could crack the top 8 MW if he learned how to jab professionally and moved his head. But he won't.

Stephan Bonner effect, fighter first, mixed martial artist second.

wow, this guy doesnt watch mma much at all. or he is just a diaz basher. im pretty sure his "non-powerful" punches have knocked out and tko multiple ppl. including shamrock and lawler.

Post #29   4/18/09 2:26:28PM   

scobac

BANNED

scobac Avatar

Career:165-137
Chips:
MW is to far fetched for somebody with diaz's frame, but im sure he'd be man enough to step up and take on anybody in any weight class. I think he would be a top 5 WW. gsp i think would be the only sure loss for diaz, kos and fitch being the next two toughest for him, I think nick would break alves will the longer a fight between them went. serra, karo, hughes, kampman, condit, larson, matt brown, goulet, lytle, I would give diaz the advantage goin into those fights (I think they are all capable of beating him though). Anthony Johnson, hazelett, swick, davis I think would be a toss up goin into the fights. I guess im huggin his nuts a bit in this post but to whoever said he would only be a top 15 is straight hatein him.

Post #30   4/18/09 8:44:54PM   

Page 2 of 2     1     2