Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Not So Fast: Rampage-Rashad NOT YET Official For 98

Print  
  Page 2 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

slapshot

In Full Mount

slapshot Avatar

Career:509-316
Camp: Ultimate Fighter Top Team
Chips:

Posted by wapttn

Posted by bls1919

Mna i really hope that Machida get the next shot at the LHW title. Not that i hope Page is hurt or anything, just think Machida is the rightful owner of the number 1 contender spot.

I still dont understand this logic. Both are highly skilled elite fighters so from there you gotta look at a guy's recent history of fights to determine who deserves the title shot more right?

Machida's big wins:

Bonnar... why a win over the preTUF bonnar is considered a notable win is beyond me.

Penn... Penn is a light weight who looks tubby at 170 let alone whatever he was weighing in at to fight a 205er. Beating penn is a significant accomplishment at 155.. still notable at 170.. but after that, especially the penn who was training an hour a day... not notable.

Franklin... notable. I dont think its worth as much as beating franklin now... franklin really didnt hit his stride until he went down to middle weight and fought for the ufc, but still notable.

Sokoudjou... ya the guy was hyped up at the time, but since his loss to cane and babalu, how much is this win really worth?

Ortiz... the guy hasnt won a fight decisively since cote in 04 (shamrock doesnt count)

Thiago silva... not sure why a win over houston alexander and antonio mendes makes any fighter a notable win

So the only wins which should really count towards this title shot argument are soko, ortiz, and silva right? Not one of these fighters is a top10 fighter. So... a fighter who has yet to beat a top 10 fighter deserves a titleshot over rampage?

Rampage's last few fights:

So lets look at his last 5 fights and forget that he has wins over lindland, arona, liddell, and randleman.

Liddell... He took the belt from liddell in his prime, by knock out. 'nuff said.

Henderson... 5 round war of attrition in which he decisioned one of the toughest fighters in the game and the last fighter who wore the pride mw belt.

Griffin.... I personally thought that fight should've gone to a 6th round... but I think most agree that it could be argued either way. Regardless, it was a very, very close fight.

Silva... devastating KO over a top 10 fighter who's had your number in the past... impressive

Jardine... It didnt look like he found his rhythm until 20 something seconds left in the 3rd, but still won every round decisively.

So...... rampage has 4 wins over top 10 fighters in his last 5 fights.. with the loss being a close decision. He has more wins over top10 fighters since he lost his title than machida has had... period. If rashad was defending his title on this card like he should've then I'd say Machida definitely deserves the shot over anybody else who isn't tied up in another fight... but rampage's wins over jardine and silva are greater arguement than machidas wins over silva, ortiz and sokoudjou. If they are both available, then rampage deserves the nod.

On a side note, I'd personally like to see rampage not take the fight... he deserves to go home, spend time with the family, heal up (he said that he overtrained), and take the winner of machida/rashad. I think that machida is a very poor matchup for rashad.. but that greg jackson could have something very interesting up his sleeve for machida.

Its very simple really, the UFC books fights by who can sell more tickets and they always have. They dont hide the way they pick cards and Dana has said many times that its a business and they book fights accordingly. The debate over who deserves it more and who actually will get the fight are two different topics based off two different types of criteria.

P.S. Jardine won the first round and one could argue he was winning the third round before the last second knockdown, either way the first and third rounds were very close. If you take the knockdown out of the second, Jardine would have won the points game. IMO it was a very close fight.

Last edited 3/9/09 2:18AM server time by slapshot
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #16   3/9/09 2:08:20AM   

MMAcca

Heavyweight Champ

MMAcca Avatar

Career:1,928-1,113
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Although i hope Rampage takes his shot, why should beating people in PRIDE count towards a UFC title shot ?

Post #17   3/9/09 2:14:23AM   

WheelchairBandit

Standup Guy

WheelchairBandit Avatar

Career:667-394
Camp: MMAForReal.com
Chips:
I seriously doubt if Rampage takes this fight.It's too soon-he will end up doing two training camps back to back.If he does that,he stands a very good chance of walking into the cage completley burnt out,and that's not something he can take a chance on with an opponent like Rashad Evans.

I don't think Rampage's handler's will let him take this fight.I think we'll end up seeing Rashad Evans vs. Lyoto Machida in May.

WB.

Post #18   3/9/09 3:20:54AM   

Playground_Samurai

I EAT POOP

Playground_Samurai Avatar

Career:2,359-1,249
Camp: Hand Grenade Hillbillies
Chips:

Posted by WheelchairBandit
I seriously doubt if Rampage takes this fight.

I disagree. While I agree that it would be the smart decision to not take the fight, I still think he will. I think it means the world to him to get that title back. With Dana saying, hey take the shot or we're giving it to somebody else, I think he'll end up taking it. If he's as desperate to prove he's the best as I think he seems, I think he'll take the first opportunity they give him.

Posted by WheelchairBandit
he will end up doing two training camps back to back.If he does that,he stands a very good chance of walking into the cage completley burnt out,and that's not something he can take a chance on with an opponent like Rashad Evans.

I agree. I think he wil walk into that fight physically and mentally exhausted. Rashad, on the other hand, will come in fresh and riding a hell of a high. With his great camp, game plan, and superiour athleticism, I say he wins this fight via UD.

Post #19   3/9/09 3:42:17AM   

WheelchairBandit

Standup Guy

WheelchairBandit Avatar

Career:667-394
Camp: MMAForReal.com
Chips:
He gets a title shot next whether he fights in May not.At the post fight presser Dana said that if Rampage decided he couldn't do the fight that was fine,and Lyoto would fight Rashad.He said the winner of that fight would fight Rampage later in the year.

So,there really is no incentive for Rampage to take this fight right now,other than the fact that the UFC is most likely throwing a huge bonus at him.After the $60,000 Fight of The Night bonus,I don't know if he really cares about that now though.

WB.

Post #20   3/9/09 8:02:49AM   

DCRage

Representin' The MA's

DCRage Avatar

Career:978-738
Chips:
And word is Rampage also injured his hand in the fight.

Article

Post #21   3/10/09 11:20:29AM   

Boo_Radley21

Heavyweight Champ

Boo_Radley21 Avatar

Career:605-425
Chips:

Posted by wapttn

Posted by bls1919

Mna i really hope that Machida get the next shot at the LHW title. Not that i hope Page is hurt or anything, just think Machida is the rightful owner of the number 1 contender spot.

I still dont understand this logic. Both are highly skilled elite fighters so from there you gotta look at a guy's recent history of fights to determine who deserves the title shot more right?

Machida's big wins:

Bonnar... why a win over the preTUF bonnar is considered a notable win is beyond me.

Penn... Penn is a light weight who looks tubby at 170 let alone whatever he was weighing in at to fight a 205er. Beating penn is a significant accomplishment at 155.. still notable at 170.. but after that, especially the penn who was training an hour a day... not notable.

Franklin... notable. I dont think its worth as much as beating franklin now... franklin really didnt hit his stride until he went down to middle weight and fought for the ufc, but still notable.

Sokoudjou... ya the guy was hyped up at the time, but since his loss to cane and babalu, how much is this win really worth?

Ortiz... the guy hasnt won a fight decisively since cote in 04 (shamrock doesnt count)

Thiago silva... not sure why a win over houston alexander and antonio mendes makes any fighter a notable win

So the only wins which should really count towards this title shot argument are soko, ortiz, and silva right? Not one of these fighters is a top10 fighter. So... a fighter who has yet to beat a top 10 fighter deserves a titleshot over rampage?

Rampage's last few fights:

So lets look at his last 5 fights and forget that he has wins over lindland, arona, liddell, and randleman.

Liddell... He took the belt from liddell in his prime, by knock out. 'nuff said.

Henderson... 5 round war of attrition in which he decisioned one of the toughest fighters in the game and the last fighter who wore the pride mw belt.

Griffin.... I personally thought that fight should've gone to a 6th round... but I think most agree that it could be argued either way. Regardless, it was a very, very close fight.

Silva... devastating KO over a top 10 fighter who's had your number in the past... impressive

Jardine... It didnt look like he found his rhythm until 20 something seconds left in the 3rd, but still won every round decisively.

So...... rampage has 4 wins over top 10 fighters in his last 5 fights.. with the loss being a close decision. He has more wins over top10 fighters since he lost his title than machida has had... period. If rashad was defending his title on this card like he should've then I'd say Machida definitely deserves the shot over anybody else who isn't tied up in another fight... but rampage's wins over jardine and silva are greater arguement than machidas wins over silva, ortiz and sokoudjou. If they are both available, then rampage deserves the nod.

On a side note, I'd personally like to see rampage not take the fight... he deserves to go home, spend time with the family, heal up (he said that he overtrained), and take the winner of machida/rashad. I think that machida is a very poor matchup for rashad.. but that greg jackson could have something very interesting up his sleeve for machida.

Exactly!!! Finally someone who sees it how it really is. Machida really hasn't beat that many good guys. Rampage has been fighting and beating (except Griffin) top ten guys in almost every fight other than Eastman. I don't get why people hold Machida so high up. The guys biggest win was over Tito... He kind of reminds me of Huerta...beat a bunch of lower guys then a guy who was considered more serious (Guida) but he still wouldn't hold a title in the UFC. Neither will Machida.

Post #22   3/10/09 11:44:46AM   

theguido

What the hell happened!

theguido Avatar

Career:428-321
Chips:

Posted by bls1919

seems like he's been waitin for a while

Post #23   3/10/09 12:08:46PM   

DCRage

Representin' The MA's

DCRage Avatar

Career:978-738
Chips:
One more update: Looks like Rampage is officially off, but the original source can be considered a tabloid so perhaps take it with a grain of salt until there's a more reliable report.

Article

Post #24   3/11/09 6:39:50AM   

Page 2 of 2     1     2