Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Quinton Jackson to determine Lyoto Machida's championship fate

Print  
  Page 2 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-505
Chips:

Posted by Ulfhethnar6

Posted by haggiswashere

If i was a machida fan I would be quite frustrated. Machida has gone like 3 fights where they said "win this and you get a title shot" And they keep giving him the shaft. It would be very frustrating. I say still let jackson get the shot if he wins but give machida it first. then no matter who the victor between rashad and machida, they will fight jackson next.

That makes the most sense to me. Rampage has only beaten Wanderli since losing, I don't know why he's even being considered above Machida. Evans shouldn't have to wait so long to get paid either.

Because of the way that he lost the belt. He lost a very close decision that a lot of people believe he won, then he came back to brutally KO a top ten fighter. Usually in that situation a former champ should get his title shot. I support Machida but he still hasn't faced any of the guys at the top of the division.

That being said, with the way they worked this whole situation out (poorly) I think that Machida should get his title shot now, only because Rampage is fighting Jardine when he should have just gotten his shot. That way Rampage gets the shot he has earned in a lot of people's opinion and Machida wouldn't have to wait so long after this fight. Now everyone is sitting around waiting for one fight to happen.

When you break it down it's clear that Rampage and Machida are the only guys who should be considered for a title shot right now, and given the way Rampage lost the belt and the level of competition he has faced, I think Rampage deserved his shot first. Now that he's tied up it should be given to Lyoto. The UFC's mistake was not scaling Lyoto's competition up after a couple of wins. He's continually being matched up with guys who are just outside of the top ten, or just barely at the bottom of it. He should have been given a fight against one of the top5 guys in the division instead of Silva.

Also, to whoever said forrest and brock got title shots just because they asked: That's not even close to true. They both beat top contenders and they were both fortunate enough to fall into a situation where there were no better suited contenders. Mir and Nog were scheduled to fight when couture came back and Brock had just beaten a top contender in Herring, he was the best choice to fight Randy. Forrest also beat shogun who was considered to be a top3 LHW at the time if not #1 by most. He was also lucky enough to fall into a situation where most other contenders had taken a major loss recently. Both guys got their shots by getting big wins and getting a little bit of lucky timing, both guys were valid choices for their title shots.

Post #16   2/1/09 4:55:02PM   

Bloodhound

Standup Guy

Bloodhound Avatar

Career:1,054-599
Chips:
this is what i want to see:
Rashad Evans Vs Lyoto Machida
winner fights Rampage if he beats Jardine, very simple

Last edited 2/1/09 5:25PM server time by bloodhound
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #17   2/1/09 5:24:37PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,339-1,246
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
i think machida is getting the okami snub for a title shot

Post #18   2/1/09 6:48:59PM   

lohmann

A Black Belt in Jiu-Jitsu

lohmann Avatar

Career:1,611-877
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by Aether

That being said, with the way they worked this whole situation out (poorly) I think that Machida should get his title shot now, only because Rampage is fighting Jardine when he should have just gotten his shot. That way Rampage gets the shot he has earned in a lot of people's opinion and Machida wouldn't have to wait so long after this fight. Now everyone is sitting around waiting for one fight to happen.

When you break it down it's clear that Rampage and Machida are the only guys who should be considered for a title shot right now, and given the way Rampage lost the belt and the level of competition he has faced, I think Rampage deserved his shot first. Now that he's tied up it should be given to Lyoto. The UFC's mistake was not scaling Lyoto's competition up after a couple of wins. He's continually being matched up with guys who are just outside of the top ten, or just barely at the bottom of it. He should have been given a fight against one of the top5 guys in the division instead of Silva.

I think the UFC has worked this out beautifully. Or, rather, they have a lot of open endings they can exploit to finally solve the milieu of the 205 division, packed full of big-name guys, three former champions, tons of solid and recognizable fighters with mixed records over the course of the last year, and young talent making statements seemingly monthly (Cane, Jones, etc.).

Assuming Evans's first title defense will be at UFC 100 on July 11th, the UFC has obviously prepared Machida (or Silva, should he have won the fight Saturday) as the backup plan in case Jackson implodes against Jardine. Assuming Jackson pulls off the victory, Machida needs another fight so that people don't casually forget who he is as the bandwagon hype transfers to another fighter as it always does at 205, and I can see him finally receiving a top-tier main-event fight against someone like a Forrest Griffin, Chuck Liddell, or Mauricio Rua - one that may help cement his status as perennial contender.

Post #19   2/2/09 5:11:49AM   

EvenFlow

banned

EvenFlow Avatar

Career:432-232
Chips:

Posted by D0wnUnd6e6r

Posted by cmb19932

Posted by MMAcca

Posted by Jesse_Canadian_MMA

that KO was phenominal, I think rashad is in trouble

All of the LHWs are in trouble. Whoever faces Lyoto will be beaten.

even shogun

shogun has nothing on machida, silch, zip, nada, zeeeero

If we see the the Shogun of old come back in the Liddell fight then I would give Shogun a legit shot at getting the belt and Lyoto vs Shogun could be a great fight.

Post #20   2/2/09 5:21:09AM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-505
Chips:
I understand all of that, I'm just saying it could have been done faster. Rampage and Rashad could be preparing for a fight right now, Machida could be fighting someone in the top 5 like griffin or jardine and then we have ultimately the same situation except we'd be seeing belts defended more frequently.

I just think they advanced Machida too slowly and gave Rashad too long of a break. Like someone else said, I think most of us want to see a champ defending more than 2 times a year.

Post #21   2/2/09 5:21:13AM   

EvenFlow

banned

EvenFlow Avatar

Career:432-232
Chips:
Since Rampage beat Wand I want Rampage regain the title and fight Machida.

Post #22   2/2/09 5:23:47AM   

lohmann

A Black Belt in Jiu-Jitsu

lohmann Avatar

Career:1,611-877
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by Aether

I understand all of that, I'm just saying it could have been done faster. Rampage and Rashad could be preparing for a fight right now, Machida could be fighting someone in the top 5 like griffin or jardine and then we have ultimately the same situation except we'd be seeing belts defended more frequently.

I just think they advanced Machida too slowly and gave Rashad too long of a break. Like someone else said, I think most of us want to see a champ defending more than 2 times a year.

Ah, I think the mystique of "100" is the problem. Jackson vs. Jardine would never have happened, and Evans would probably be defending instead if that particular number wasn't sitting in the middle of the year. I almost hope 100 is five title defenses, just to reset the timetable.

The UFC has this problem with almost every division - they're trying to find the right time and in the process backlogging divisions with contenders. (A year between title defenses for Penn - at least.)

Post #23   2/2/09 5:31:24AM   

StevieC

MMA Regular

StevieC Avatar

Career:548-340
Camp: Minnesota MMA Maulers
Chips:
Champions should fight ever 5 months(unless hurt) IMO. Evans waiting till July is 2 months longer than when he should fight, especially when he could probably fight right now if you asked him too. If he doesn't fight till July than he maybe will fight in December. Maybe. If Rashad only fights once this year that would be the dumbest thing.

He should fight Machida in May, and then have a Machida(Champion) vs. Rampage in October.

Leave UFC 100 for GSP vs Alves and BJ vs KenFlo....OR Brock vs Fedor :)

Post #24   2/2/09 9:26:44AM   

GDK

MMA Regular

GDK Avatar

Career:1,651-1,150
Chips:

Posted by prozacnation1978

i think machida is getting the okami snub for a title shot

The Okami snub
Haha i like it
It's the only way to explain it.

Post #25   2/3/09 5:15:23PM