Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Thiago Alves vs. Matt Hughes

Print  
How will this fight play out?
Alves - T(KO) 19 35%
Hughes - T(KO) 12 22%
Alves - Submission 0 0%
Hughes - Submission 9 17%
Alves - Decision 2 4%
Hughes - Decision 12 22%
  Page 2 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

CantAndleDaRiddum

I Got My Black Belt in MMA

CantAndleDaRiddum Avatar

Career:299-192
Chips:
well i got alves by tko, but its gonna be a close fight

Post #16   5/3/08 2:42:27PM   

DevonFoxy

MMA Sensei

DevonFoxy Avatar

Career:1,450-848
Chips:

Posted by NatedawgThaM
A. is wrong. Tito beat Matt Hughes in ADCC plus Matt Hughes is nothing but power. Every wrestler in the division would dominate him. Tito actually HAS wrestling skill with that great power. Tito is a better all-around wrestler then Hughes. Tito has taken down EVERYBODY he's ever fought at least once in the fight. Hughes can't say that.

So your saying because a 205 pound wrestler beating a wrestler who probably at that time was around 170 perhaps even less in a submission wrestling fight he has better wrestling that him?

Sorry but I have to disagree. Hughes is a two-time Division I All-American wrestler Tito won a junior college title and went to a regular college and did nothing. Sorry but when we talk about wrestling Matt Hughes has much better wrestling than Tito's. Dont get me wrong I like Tito and he has pretty good wrestling but Hughes is really in a different league.

Post #17   5/3/08 5:02:31PM   

CantAndleDaRiddum

I Got My Black Belt in MMA

CantAndleDaRiddum Avatar

Career:299-192
Chips:

Posted by DevonFoxy

Rodney Dangerfield got no respect and apparently Matt Hughes isn't getting any either.

I know Thiago has great stand up but Fitch was able to take him down and hes the only wrestler he has fought. I don't understand where people are saying he has great take down defense. He hasn't been put against a pure wrestle who goes for double legs other than Fitch and he lost that fight.

So perhaps I'm missing something here but I think people are perhaps underrating Matt Hughes in this fight which is shocking. I mean all Alves needs to do is defend the take down and he will win this fight but how many people have been able to do this? It's still Matt Hughes everyone. He looked like crap against GSP but GSP makes everyone look bad. He is tailor made to fight in this division as he is also a great wrestler with better stand up then the rest of the wrestlers in the division. Thiago is going to be great but in this fight it really irks me that people are picking against Hughes especially by TKO!!!! I agree that Hughes is past his prime and not going to get the title any time soon but he is still Matt Hughes. Just think about the pick before you do it is all I ask.

right now, 18 picked hughes, 9 picked alves

looks like respect to me

Post #18   5/3/08 5:28:23PM   

JBatch

In Full Mount

JBatch Avatar

Career:779-491
Camp: Triumph
Chips:
I am not sure why but I still think Hughes has got it in him to win this fight. The guy is a warrior, the greatest WW if not UFC champion thus far in the organization. I got to go with the farm boy I have never liked him but can not deny he is a great fighter.

Alves is dirty tho and an excellent striker if he does manage to pick Hughes apart and drop him I would not be sad.

Hughes is a stud and SHOULD be able to control this fight on the ground, possibly even submit Alves.

Post #19   5/3/08 5:58:04PM   

FredThaGR8

Learning to Sprawl

FredThaGR8 Avatar

Career:1,069-504
Camp: Team Frystal
Chips:
I went with my heart and picked Hughes, I know Hughes is on his way out and wouldn't be surprised when Thiago stalls on the ground considering he is from ATT and knocks my boy out late in the 3rd.

Post #20   5/3/08 8:38:52PM   

DevonFoxy

MMA Sensei

DevonFoxy Avatar

Career:1,450-848
Chips:

Posted by CantAndleDaRiddum

Posted by DevonFoxy

Rodney Dangerfield got no respect and apparently Matt Hughes isn't getting any either.

I know Thiago has great stand up but Fitch was able to take him down and hes the only wrestler he has fought. I don't understand where people are saying he has great take down defense. He hasn't been put against a pure wrestle who goes for double legs other than Fitch and he lost that fight.

So perhaps I'm missing something here but I think people are perhaps underrating Matt Hughes in this fight which is shocking. I mean all Alves needs to do is defend the take down and he will win this fight but how many people have been able to do this? It's still Matt Hughes everyone. He looked like crap against GSP but GSP makes everyone look bad. He is tailor made to fight in this division as he is also a great wrestler with better stand up then the rest of the wrestlers in the division. Thiago is going to be great but in this fight it really irks me that people are picking against Hughes especially by TKO!!!! I agree that Hughes is past his prime and not going to get the title any time soon but he is still Matt Hughes. Just think about the pick before you do it is all I ask.

right now, 18 picked hughes, 9 picked alves

looks like respect to me

When posted it though the amounts where much worse for Hughes and the post before mine mostly were not favoring Hughes

Post #21   5/3/08 10:36:31PM   

GSPCanada

Standup Guy

Career:637-415
Chips:
It's a fairly even fight typical grappler vs striker so anhing can happen. If you think Hughes has no chance you should not comment on mma. My pick is Alves but I wouldn't bet the house on him. Hughes has taken just about everyone down, who hasn't he taken down st. pierre in the 2nd 3rd figth? ya but who has taken st.pierre down. He was even able to take Penn down a few times the 2nd fight. The guy is still matt hughes and i'm a little surprised that so many people still recognize that. Hughes is on his way down and Alves is on his way up but Hughes can still be better.

I know its a little ridiculous for me to pick Alves and defend Hughes. I understand if Hughes is an underdog but people can't count him out completely thats just ridiculous

Post #22   5/4/08 2:51:45AM   

tylerlee123

Standup Guy

tylerlee123 Avatar

Career:994-615
Chips:
I would love to see Alves take it but man it would be sweet if hughes won

Post #23   5/4/08 4:11:13PM   

mrkennedy

MMA Sensei

mrkennedy Avatar

Career:4,175-2,431
Chips:
i got hughes by decision,but if alves can keep it standing that will be easy for him to win

Post #24   5/4/08 4:20:38PM   

kaskd

MMA Regular

kaskd Avatar

Career:1,207-662
Chips:
I won't even talk about the Fitch fight because that was a while ago, and Alves has matured. But looking at the recent Karo fight Alves can be taken down (I know that Karo uses a completely different style of takedown). My point is Hughes only has to get him down once (per round) because he has such great body control. Karo couldn't hold Alves down, but Hughes will and LnP for a UD.

btw all this bs that Hughes can't wrestle... wtf? Where is this all coming from? Have we that easily forgotten how dominant Hughes was? The only guys that beat him recently are freakin BJ Penn, the guy is insanely difficult to takedown, and GSP. Are we really putting Alves at that level?

Post #25   5/5/08 4:36:23PM   

JWils

Standup Guy

JWils Avatar

Career:1,467-773
Chips:
The keys to this fight are easy to identify. If it stays on the feet, Alves wins, if it is a ground fight, Hughes wins.

I think this fight will really show the MMA world what Hughes has left and if the game is passing him by. I understand why people are sort of overlooking Hughes' skills since he has got dismantled by GSP twice. But, look as GSP's most recent fights. The man has made everyone look like an amateur.

After thinking about this fight, this is really a perfect matchup for the welterweight division. If Alves wins this fight, the UFC instantly has another young stud contender to work with, if Hughes wins, the UFC still has one of their biggest names near the top of his division.

Very, very interesting matchup and I'm hoping Hughes shows that he still has "it".

Post #26   5/5/08 4:55:44PM   

vanillavick9

Learning to Sprawl

vanillavick9 Avatar

Career:478-329
Camp: Spurstalk.com Fight Club
Chips:
Hughes will take him down. Conrol the first round. Get an early takedown in the 2nd. Will attempt and fail submissions. Fight will stand up. Alves cracks his jaw.

Post #27   5/8/08 12:06:00PM   

keith-hackney1

Belt Contender

keith-hackney1 Avatar

Career:274-221
Chips:
Matt hughes will win via destructive ground and pound, i see hughes trapping the arm like he did against penn, when it gets to that point, fights over.

Post #28   5/8/08 5:18:35PM   

Page 2 of 2     1     2