Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Whose Better On The Ground Liddell or Silva?

Print  
  Page 2 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

NatedawgThaM

MMA Sensei

NatedawgThaM Avatar

Career:676-444
Chips:

Posted by tuvok500

Posted by NatedawgThaM

Wow this is a dumb question. Not trying to be mean.

Liddell hasn't been on his back in a UFC fight grappling wise since the 1st randy fight. Wandy is a freakin' BJJ black belt and trains with freakin Chutebox.

How do you ask this question?

Well, if the mmathematique was working like you think, Koschek would have dominated GSP all the way on the ground , Shogun would have dominated Forrest all the way on the ground, Karo would have been unbeatable on the ground and Nick Diaz would have destroyed his opponents ,not be destroyed by them !!

we are speaking about Liddell here who was eating BJJ black belt guys for breakfast !! ( a little joke here ) !!

The question asks who's better on the ground. Were not talking about sprawling here. In grappling Chuck's ass would have been tapping to every single one of those grapplers he beats. The statement "On the ground" makes me believe we are talking about who's better after the takedown when both are on the ground.

Chuck gets owned

Post #16   12/2/07 3:35:58PM   

bayonetxwork

In Full Mount

bayonetxwork Avatar

Career:114-60
Camp: TUFFS Fight Club
Chips:
Chute Boxe knows jits.

Post #17   12/2/07 5:25:41PM   

kevietre

Belt Contender

kevietre Avatar

Career:666-469
Chips:

Posted by NatedawgThaM

Liddell hasn't been on his back in a UFC fight grappling wise since the 1st randy fight. Wandy is a freakin' BJJ black belt and trains with freakin Chutebox.

Why would you answer it if you think it's dumb. I'm curious to see what people think. Whether the fight hits the ground or not neither fighter is notorious for the ground skills so you never know what's going to happen. Cro Cop and Kongo had some clinching in their fight along with other positiion and I thought that would be punches and kicks the whole fight.

Last edited 12/2/07 7:45PM server time by kevietre
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #18   12/2/07 7:43:45PM   

fedorwins1

MMA Sensei

Career:552-270
Chips:
Silva

BJJ blackbelt

Post #19   12/2/07 7:54:28PM   

Mastodon2

MMA Sensei

Mastodon2 Avatar

Career:188-114
Chips:
Silva

moot point though, this fight won't go to the ground!

Post #20   12/2/07 7:59:13PM   

cmill21

Heavyweight Champ

cmill21 Avatar

Career:444-230
Chips:
This fight will be decided in the clinch, if wand can get it it's done, if he can't chuck will probably be able to fire from the outside and wear him down. I have heard some pretty awsome news from XC about wand though, a fellow I was talking to who wen't there to train told me that Wand looks as cut as ever, and has been told he's been training like an absolute animal. The XC guys also told him there scared for chuck since wands focus and intesity has been rediculous during training for this fight.

Post #21   12/2/07 10:25:35PM   

JimiMak

WarWagon Never Die!

JimiMak Avatar

Career:454-333
Camp: JT WarWagon
Chips:
I think a lot of ppl haven't seen/are ignoring the Wand/CC 2 fight. When/If Wand gets beat up his JJ is good enought to go for. Seeing some ground work wouldn't be completely unexpected. If there will be a sub it'll be for Wandy but that is doubtful.

Post #22   12/2/07 10:42:39PM   

jomatty

In Full Mount

jomatty Avatar

Career:137-79
Camp: bet the rent
Chips:
its a total wash. if it were a grappling match then i think it is clear that wandy would have a major advantage. but the fact is that it is not a grappling match. the only guys who can take chuck down are guys like randy. couple that with the fact that wandy wont even try to take it down unless he gets rocked big time and does so out of desperation. chuck is a good wrestler with some of the best takedown defence in all of mma and he is also one of the absolute best at getting up when he is taken down. in 25 fights he has been subbed exactly once in his third pro fight against jeremy horn, one of the absolute best submission guys at the time, and it was by a weird standing arm triangle that put him to sleep. he is not gonna get submitted...totally non factor in this fight.

by the way i think chuck would be a better fighter if he was willing to use his wrestling and incorporate a little ground and pound. may be too late to teach an old dog new tricks, but in his fight with jardine it would have been a good idea.

Post #23   12/3/07 9:42:11AM   

jiujitsufreak74

,,[],, *******,,[],,

jiujitsufreak74 Avatar

Career:1,056-572
Chips:

Posted by jomatty

its a total wash. if it were a grappling match then i think it is clear that wandy would have a major advantage. but the fact is that it is not a grappling match. the only guys who can take chuck down are guys like randy. couple that with the fact that wandy wont even try to take it down unless he gets rocked big time and does so out of desperation. chuck is a good wrestler with some of the best takedown defence in all of mma and he is also one of the absolute best at getting up when he is taken down. in 25 fights he has been subbed exactly once in his third pro fight against jeremy horn, one of the absolute best submission guys at the time, and it was by a weird standing arm triangle that put him to sleep. he is not gonna get submitted...totally non factor in this fight.

by the way i think chuck would be a better fighter if he was willing to use his wrestling and incorporate a little ground and pound. may be too late to teach an old dog new tricks, but in his fight with jardine it would have been a good idea.

im going to have to agree with jomatty on this one. it doesn't really matter who has the best ground game because this fight is going to be a stand up war with two elite strikers trying to KO the other. besides, chuck has really well developed take down defense and if couture couldn't keep him on the ground then i don't think wandy could if he wanted to.

however to answer the question, wandy without a doubt has the better ground game because wandy has a black belt in BJJ and rolls with some of the best in the game at chute box. plus, just look at my avatar

Post #24   12/3/07 2:18:06PM   

themmadigest

MMA Regular

themmadigest Avatar

Career:8-1
Chips:
Liddell's BJJ is based on getting back to his feet. Silva is probably better based on pure BJJ in terms of working to submit his opponent. Having a blackbelt in BJJ, one would assume Silva has the better skills. I believe Liddell has a purple belt. He has worked with Eddie Bravo, but a lot of half-guard stuff, which is once again often designed for him to get back to his feet

Post #25   12/3/07 5:23:32PM   

zephead

The Dancer

zephead Avatar

Career:541-400
Camp: Ground'N'Pound
Chips:

Posted by kevietre

Posted by NatedawgThaM

Why would you answer it if you think it's dumb. I'm curious to see what people think. Whether the fight hits the ground or not neither fighter is notorious for the ground skills so you never know what's going to happen. Cro Cop and Kongo had some clinching in their fight along with other positiion and I thought that would be punches and kicks the whole fight.

He has a tendency to put people down

"To me the records were just a starting point," recalls John Paul Jones, "The most important thing was always the stage show. So many great nights. At our worst we were still better than most. At our best we could just wipe the floor with the lot of them. It was just a very good live band."

Post #26   12/3/07 6:19:39PM   

Pitbull09

MMA Sensei

Pitbull09 Avatar

Career:288-147
Chips:
If you want to know this for the fight, it really wont matter cause they are both planning to stand up and beat each others brains out./

Post #27   12/3/07 7:37:35PM   

NatedawgThaM

MMA Sensei

NatedawgThaM Avatar

Career:676-444
Chips:

Posted by zephead

Posted by kevietre

Posted by NatedawgThaM

He has a tendency to put people down

Wow, let me remind you of what I said. "I think this is a dumb question, Not to be mean" Meaning I thought the overall question was dumb. In no way,shape, or form was I calling "Kevietre" dumb or putting him down. I just thought the question was dumb because the obvious answer is Wandy unless your talking about who's better grappling wise if it starts on the feet. The question said "on the ground" so I took it as we were talking about who wins after the takedown which I am extremely confident IMO that Wandy is better with BJJ.

Your hating on me because I don't like your favorite fighter but maybe express that dislike a little too much. I think your taking it way to personal "Zephead". I don't dislike you at all and respect you as a MOD an all. I just think your taking my dislike of Chuck to heart. As if I hate you. All I said in the News forums was I'm rooting for Wandy since I think IMO Chuck has been exposed and I can't see him winning anymore. That's my opinion. I'm sure if Chuck wasn't your favorite fighter or I was talking about somebody else you wouldn't make such a big deal of that statement.

Post #28   12/3/07 8:36:09PM   

chickmagnet

MMA Sensei

chickmagnet Avatar

Career:529-344
Camp: The Pit
Chips:
chuck will not be taken town by wandy, if chuck sprawls and wandy
pulls guard i think chuck will break out of it and get back to his feet,
and IF wandy stands and exchanges with Liddell, wandy will go
to sleep which is going to happen!

WAR ICEMAN!!!!
WAR all Iceman fans

Post #29   12/3/07 8:53:26PM   

nibrack11

Banned

Career:99-53
Chips:
well any fight that chuck has been in the only time hes been on the ground is against randy and he lost or got back up but he never takes a shot at all but silva is better on the ground and you could tell easily.

Post #30   12/3/07 9:59:45PM   

Page 2 of 3     1     2     3