Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

UFN the most awkward MMA event ever?

Print  
Posted By Message

NatedawgThaM

MMA Sensei

NatedawgThaM Avatar

Career:676-444
Chips:
Here in PA for the first match the volume wasnt working...Then it looked like Joe Rogan was a 5 year old playing with match box car when he was trying to be serious about Nate Quarrys injury...

Then it was even MORE awkward for joe rogan doing them interviews because before he talked to liddel he was staring at the monitor while the whole world was watching him waiting for liddel to pop up and then before Forrest griffin came on he was staring at the camera for about 15 seconds like he just farted and was embarrassed...

I thought it was awkward and a little funny but it was a good night nevertheless, just had a little technical problems....

Plus Rogan asked Forrest "Do you think you have the advantage over Shogun because hes has never faught in a cage before?" and everybody on this fight knows the answer to that...

Good fight night but it was awkward as crap...was there any other mma event that had this much go wrong during a event?

Post #1   9/20/07 1:03:15AM   

loonytnt

MMA Sensei

loonytnt Avatar

Career:299-241
Camp: Diaz Fan Club
Chips:
there was thisone that people that where going to fight didnt have a fight so they trained 3-4 months for a fighter that was not real, i think that is bad

Post #2   9/20/07 1:06:40AM   

thepunisher

In Full Mount

thepunisher Avatar

Career:338-213
Camp: MMA Weekly
Chips:
I enjoyed watching the first fight without hearing Rogan or Goldy

Post #3   9/20/07 7:17:33AM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
it was just weird cus im just used to hearing their voices

Post #4   9/20/07 7:25:54AM   

thepunisher

In Full Mount

thepunisher Avatar

Career:338-213
Camp: MMA Weekly
Chips:
It took me a few seconds to figure out whaty was different becuase you could hear the crowd and the corners.

Post #5   9/20/07 7:33:33AM   

scoozna

Liver shot!

scoozna Avatar

Career:2,202-1,233
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by thepunisher

I enjoyed watching the first fight without hearing Rogan or Goldy

Ha! - me too, I even tried muting it during the Leben fight to see if it was better without them constantly talking. Toooooooo chatty.

They had a blank graphic right before talking to Chuck.
The interviews were a waste of time (neither Chuck nor Forrest sounded like they wanted to be there).
There was more than one time where they cut to a shot where the camera wasn't pointing at the action in the cage.

They really did crappy production job last night.

Post #6   9/20/07 9:13:43AM   

DCRage

Representin' The MA's

DCRage Avatar

Career:978-738
Chips:
I too had no complaints about the commentary missing that first round. In fact, I liked it better that way-it gave you more of a feeling of actually being there in the arena. As for all the other stuff, I felt they could've cut out some of the promos and stuff and easily fit in those 2 quick prelims-I wanted to see that 9 second KO! Surely they could've set aside the 4-5 minutes for the whole thing! Overall i gave the show a thumbs in the middle-slow to start but turned out decent once it got going. A little less than I expected though.

Post #7   9/20/07 9:47:48AM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Career:759-539
Chips:
Here were my problems with the event

1) 3/4 fights were not great showings IMO.

2) The audio sync was off

3) About 20% of the video was screwed throughout the event. At some points it was unwatchable

4) a lot of unnecessary garbage. I agree about Chuck and Forrest not looking like they wanted to be there. My wife thought that the original interview boxes had photos of them instead of video because they both looked frozen and stunned.

The only good part was the round where play by play was shut off because I can't stand Rogan and Goldberg. However, that means I had to listen to Matt Serra the whole round so it wasn't' much better.

Image Attachment(s):

Photo Attachment 1

Last edited 9/20/07 10:44AM server time by Rush
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #8   9/20/07 10:43:46AM   

rcg916

He's Back...

rcg916 Avatar

Career:523-269
Chips:

Posted by Rush

Here were my problems with the event

1) 3/4 fights were not great showings IMO.

2) The audio sync was off

3) About 20% of the video was screwed throughout the event. At some points it was unwatchable

4) a lot of unnecessary garbage. I agree about Chuck and Forrest not looking like they wanted to be there. My wife thought that the original interview boxes had photos of them instead of video because they both looked frozen and stunned.

The only good part was the round where play by play was shut off because I can't stand Rogan and Goldberg. However, that means I had to listen to Matt Serra the whole round so it wasn't' much better.

Wow. Were we watching the same show? I got very limited technical problems, and the fights themselves were awesome...

hmmmmm, guess we can chalk it up to "Different Strokes"...

Post #9   9/20/07 11:41:20AM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Chips:
The technical problems may have been my cable provider. They extended over to TUF 6 as well (another 60 mins of my life I want back) I would've been happy with the event had they aired the Diaz fight with the undercard fights, but 3/4 main card fights I saw did not impress me and I will not sugar coat it for anyone.

Contrary to last night, UFC 74 was one of the best events (if not the best) that I've ever seen, save the Babalu incident, but nothing can be perfect.

Post #10   9/20/07 1:53:59PM   

SteedTheDeed

Standup Guy

SteedTheDeed Avatar

Career:786-501
Chips:
i didn't notice their was no commentary.

Post #11   9/20/07 3:13:34PM   

taz3423

Learning to Sprawl

Career:1,911-1,115
Chips:

Posted by Rush

Contrary to last night, UFC 74 was one of the best events (if not the best) that I've ever seen, save the Babalu incident, but nothing can be perfect.

really UFC 74 one of the best events ever?
I thought it was a good card... I feel as if watching any Randy fight from here on out is just gripping to watch. The guy is a real life Rocky Balboa and its near impossible to root against him.

But I wouldn't consider UFC 74 one of the best ever or the best of this year even.
I mean I know its all opinion based but you dont think such cards are better?
Pride 32 The Real Deal, UFC Fight Night 10 (Fisher/Stout), The first WEC on VS.

I guess to each is own. But I really didn't feel as if UFC 74 was the best of this year.

As for UFN 11. I thought it was a solid showing. Martin/Leben was sloppy as hell. Martin obviously didn't train very hard and proves he doesn't even belong in the same breath as Anderson Silva who would dance around him and pepper him with strikes until he drops. Quarry/Sell was an entertaining fight, Longo really has done wonders for the boxing of the Serra Jiu Jitsu fighters its a shame Sell's chin didn't match his performance which was good up to the point of the knockout. Quarry really showed a lot of moxie for coming back from losing the fight and shaking off a year long break from fighting and pulling off another HL reel KO for the Pete Sell gets KTFO DVD. Diaz/JR was a good fight I thought JR came out strong and Diaz proved he is getting better with each fight. Thomas/Florian was a let down due to Din getting injured. It didn't really get to prove anything in terms of the LW division but oh well. I also think the undercards were good. I think UFC do something where they show prelim bouts on a Unleashed the following week. I'm officially jumping on the Cole Miller bandwagon as he put on a great showing. His reach, improved striking, and incredibly active submission attempts show a bright future.

Post #12   9/21/07 9:45:04PM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Chips:

Posted by taz3423
But I wouldn't consider UFC 74 one of the best ever or the best of this year even.

I was referring to UFC events only. I should've made that more clear.

I liked all the televised fights for UFC 74. There are certainly other events that have better fights (UFC, Pride, etc), but I felt that UFC 74 stuck out as being a great event as a whole and not just an average event with one really good fight. Again, like my problems with UFN11, it's just my opinion.

Last edited 9/21/07 9:56PM server time by Rush
Edit note/reason: n/a
2 total post edits

Post #13   9/21/07 9:55:30PM   

taz3423

Learning to Sprawl

Career:1,911-1,115
Chips:

Posted by Rush

Posted by taz3423

I was referring to UFC events only. I should've made that more clear.

I liked all the televised fights for UFC 74. There are certainly other events that have better fights (UFC, Pride, etc), but I felt that UFC 74 stuck out as being a great event as a whole and not just an average event with one really good fight. Again, like my problems with UFN11, it's just my opinion.

fair enough. i thought the ufn 11 undercard had some great fights in it. Alves is a beast and its great to see him back in the UFC, Maynard/Veres a quick KO, Miller/Garcia a hard fought technical battle, Hazelett showing some super slick BJJ, and the Cummo/Crocotoa is one of the funniest things i've ever ******* seen.. Crocotoa is a ******* clown. It has to be seen to be believed.. Crocotoa seriously was giving Cummo goofy faces the whole fight then he gets popped with a punch and starts looking at some distant figure in the stands (seriously)and wasn't paying attention and gets popped again and then dropped with a final punch.

I think those fights were more entertaining than Leben/Martin... and they could have fit in 3 of them in for that one fight. watch those if you can and maybe you will appreciate the UFN 11 a little more.

Post #14   9/21/07 10:47:15PM   

Pitbull09

MMA Sensei

Pitbull09 Avatar

Career:288-147
Chips:
Yea, Im in PA too (i think half this forum is) , but that was a terrible set up wit hthe porduction crew. The interviews were so akward and lame. But i liked no commentators in the first round, those shtos seemed to sounded more painful without announcers

Post #15   9/22/07 12:03:49AM