Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Henry Cejudo: Dana White apologized after shady judging ‘robbery’ - ‘You won the fight’ against Joseph Benavidez

Print  
Posted By Message

Braden

Heavyweight Champ

Braden Avatar

Career:2,143-1,293
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Cejedo dropped a split decision after 15 minutes of non-stop, high-level mixed martial arts action.

"You know it's bad when Dana White calls you to apologize for the judging," Cejudo said on “The MMA Hour” (transcription via Joe.CO.uk). “He literally called me two seconds right after I sent [a] text message to him. He was like, 'Listen Henry, I apologize. I'm sincerely sorry. You won that fight. Everybody I talked to -- Sean Shelby said you won the fight, everybody that was ringside, there was not one person in that arena that thought you didn't win that fight.'

"It was just a sincere apology and I don't really have a relationship with Dana White,” he continued. “I just happened to text him and he was apologetic."

Link

Post #1   12/6/16 1:21:27PM   

tildengolfer

Dub Nation

tildengolfer Avatar

Career:2,749-1,957
Camp: Pride FC Forever
Chips:
I would have to watch it again to give an honest answer. But, objectively when Cejudo was deducted that point, rarely do you see a judge look at the individual (who was penalized) and willingly give him/her the nod after a close round. I think the first round could go either way when Cejudo was deducted that point, I could see judges giving JoeBen the first round 10-8. But again, I would have to go back and watch it. We need a major revamp in judging criteria for MMA because it seems to be getting worse and worse, more and more botched calls and complete OPPOSITE scores for fighter like this one.

Post #2   12/6/16 2:47:44PM   

Nathan_Arizona

MMA Regular

Nathan_Arizona Avatar

Career:1,543-933
Camp: Playground Bullies
Chips:
Meh....I had it scored as a draw after the point deduction.

Dana probably also mentioned during that (alleged)phonecall that he shouldn't have kicked JB twice, square in the balls...just sayin'.

Post #3   12/6/16 4:24:02PM   

OnyxShadow

Fearless Leader

OnyxShadow Avatar

Career:2,790-1,414
Chips:
I'm a big fan of Cejudo, and I haven't actually watched the fight yet.

So with that context...

First infractions of strikes to the opponent's groin should always result in a point lost. Second infractions should be two lost points. Third infractions should be an instant disqualification. This type of foul (whether unintentional or otherwise) swings the balance of fights, there should absolutely not be an inadvertent motivation to commit it, and there should be a significant pressure to avoid doing it.

Post #4   12/6/16 5:27:55PM   

Jeffahn

Learning to Sprawl

Career:412-334
Camp: GAF: OT
Chips:

Posted by OnyxShadow

So with that context...

First infractions of strikes to the opponent's groin should always result in a point lost. Second infractions should be two lost points. Third infractions should be an instant disqualification. This type of foul (whether unintentional or otherwise) swings the balance of fights, there should absolutely not be an inadvertent motivation to commit it, and there should be a significant pressure to avoid doing it.

IIRC neither of the shots was intentional. Other refs have let people off for two or more groin shots, even in the same round.

Post #5   12/6/16 6:33:23PM   

aussiemma

Soup is not a meal

aussiemma Avatar

Career:2,578-1,492
Chips:

Posted by OnyxShadow

So with that context...

That's a bit rough. These strikes are never intentional...it should really depend on the severity of the low blow and also the position of both fighters when the strike is thrown. It's a bit silly how you say there should be significant pressure to avoid doing it...so what you're basically saying is to take out inside leg kicks all together ? Inside leg kicks are a great way to break down your opponents mobility...you may as well say there should be no strikes to the face to avoid eye pokes too...it's the same thing. I disagree with your whole post pretty much just way to harsh and limits the overall fight game. Groin strikes are always going to be a thing in MMA

Post #6   12/6/16 7:39:50PM   

jae_1833

Chin-tastic!

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:6,456-4,320
Chips:
The only judgeing/scoring I do is live...and I remember scoring it for Joey B. Either way, the promoter should stay a promoter in this case. Save that bs for the real robberies.

Post #7   12/6/16 9:35:35PM   

shaneTpain

GSP > everyone else

shaneTpain Avatar

Career:4,652-3,150
Chips:
Cejudo won this fight hands down. He pressured for 15 min straight & landed some good shots. Joe B did absolutely nothing PERIOD

Post #8   12/7/16 6:41:53AM   

tildengolfer

Dub Nation

tildengolfer Avatar

Career:2,749-1,957
Camp: Pride FC Forever
Chips:

Posted by Jeffahn

Posted by OnyxShadow

So with that context...

IIRC neither of the shots was intentional. Other refs have let people off for two or more groin shots, even in the same round.

This. I am sure being a ref is no easy task, by any stretch of the imgagination. There should be a bit of the 'chin' mentality going into a fight with the inadvertent ball strikes. Example: Dan Henderson is usually given more time to recover from shots by veteran refs whereas others are not given that benefit. Nutshots should be a bit in the same. Those with a trackrecord like Kongo should get an immediate 1pt deduction where the others with zero track record, like Cedjud gets one or two free passes. There are so many factors, I just don't find it right to deduct points immediately upon the first offense.

Post #9   12/7/16 6:29:29PM