Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

McGregor Breaks Silence, Ends Lengthy Retirement

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,953-1,167
Camp: Canadian Power Team
Chips:
But in a post to his Facebook page Thursday, the UFC featherweight champ wrote that he’d like to leave a certain part of the sport behind: the relentless promoting of his bouts.

"I have become lost in the game of promotion and forgot about the art of fighting," McGregor wrote. "There comes a time when you need to stop handing out flyers and get back to the damn shop."

Link

Last edited 4/21/16 12:38PM server time by bjj1605
Edit note/reason: n/a

Ad: FanDuel: Play Daily Fantasy Sports

Post #1   4/21/16 12:34:47PM   

DoTheMMAth

MMA Sensei

DoTheMMAth Avatar

Career:1,764-1,102
Chips:
So much for all the prevailing theories:

- he was shook up from his teammate injuring a man to death
- he was playing chicken in an attempt to get more money out of the UFC
- he didn't want to risk a 2nd loss in a row on a fight he probably won't win

In the end we still have a staredown of sorts between Conor and UFC brass. I'm guessing UFC will blink and Conor still fights at 200.

Post #2   4/21/16 12:46:14PM   

40ouncetpkid

MMA Sensei

40ouncetpkid Avatar

Career:357-238
Chips:
Kind of makes sense. He was talking a ridiculous amount shit like Rousey that there ass couldn't cash and got his ass whooped. So he can't really do any talking. He cant promote how he wants too and I do like he's trying to take this serious. But on another note you have to promote your fight in some capacity. You can't just be scared everybody's going to throw the shit you talked last time in your face

Last edited 4/21/16 12:58PM server time by 40ouncetpkid
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #3   4/21/16 12:57:46PM   

RhythmAndStyle

Straight Flexin'

RhythmAndStyle Avatar

Career:3,789-2,315
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Does this guy really not understand the business part of the game..every fucken athlete in almost every sport has to do press conferences and media..from boxers, to the NFL, NBA, NHL and so forth..it's in their contract to do so..reason why M Lynch was fined by the NFL last year and the same reason Nick Diaz was pulled from his fight..it's in ur contract..

Post #4   4/21/16 1:19:28PM   

JoeWarren33

MMA Sensei

JoeWarren33 Avatar

Career:4,112-2,545
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:

Posted by RhythmAndStyle

Does this guy really not understand the business part of the game..every fucken athlete in almost every sport has to do press conferences and media..from boxers, to the NFL, NBA, NHL and so forth..it's in their contract to do so..reason why M Lynch was fined by the NFL last year and the same reason Nick Diaz was pulled from his fight..it's in ur contract..

UFC and any other sport is VERY different in what is expected outside of the sport. At least what I have seen it is. Before a superbowl they have a day of interviews to do but before a big UFC Fight they are expected to do weeks of interviews, commercials, video game stuff, and conferences all over the place and different dates.

Post #5   4/21/16 1:25:15PM   

aussiemma

Soup is not a meal

aussiemma Avatar

Career:1,779-1,038
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by RhythmAndStyle

Of course he understands the business part, he's marketed himself to the biggest star the UFC has ever seen, this only adds more to his hype. Look at the numbers and record tweets there were when McGregor said he was retiring.. It's a numbers game.. It brings people in and more will watch the fight if it does actually go ahead. The UFC constantly notes the viewers and number of searches leading up to a big fight and by viewing that interest they can make a good prediction of their ppv buys.
Remember how mad Dana got when Nick got pulled from the fight.. Have you noticed he's not mad at all over this ? Dana is a promoter first and foremost and he knows people will eat this shit drama up and pay to watch the fight.

Post #6   4/21/16 1:33:41PM   

aussiemma

Soup is not a meal

aussiemma Avatar

Career:1,779-1,038
Chips:
This fight is definitely on again. Just watched mmadigest on YouTube and they show all McGregor's recent Facebook posts where he clearly states he's not retired and basically goes on about how he wants to focus away from the public eye for this fight. He said he will still do the big New York press conference that is coming up and then quietly go back to his training. He also states the significance of his tweet and how much extra publicity the UFC 200 card gets now because of it. Well played Mcgregror

Post #7   4/21/16 2:14:02PM   

finnish_line

Belt Contender

finnish_line Avatar

Career:517-331
Camp: Great Boxe
Chips:

He went above and beyond many times before.

If after giving 120% last time to the promotion he wants to give 80% this time, I'm okay with that. Work it out. Less small time stuff, McGregor concedes to do the Vegas and NYC pressers, something like that.

Post #8   4/21/16 2:33:22PM   

FlashyG

Heavyweight Champ

FlashyG Avatar

Career:4,406-2,459
Chips:

Posted by JoeWarren33

Posted by RhythmAndStyle

UFC and any other sport is VERY different in what is expected outside of the sport. At least what I have seen it is. Before a superbowl they have a day of interviews to do but before a big UFC Fight they are expected to do weeks of interviews, commercials, video game stuff, and conferences all over the place and different dates.

That's very true, but the UFC's business model is very different from all of those sports. None of those sports revolve around convincing people to give up money to watch, they all come for free. The only comparable business model is WWE.

It may suck for fighters but their livelihood is dependant upon their ability to sell their fights.

Post #9   4/21/16 2:52:07PM   

JLS

WWF Champion

JLS Avatar

Career:3,890-2,049
Chips:
I didn't read article but I do agree with whoever else thinks Conor will fight on the historical UFC 200 card.

I can see it now. DW and Co. Probably freaked out and over reacted. And now is sitting back thinking to himself "Maybe McGregor at 200 is a good idea , wonder if we can get to 2 million if we have GSP or Anderson Silva or both on this card?"

My theory.

Post #10   4/21/16 2:54:20PM   

Lungsofsteel

Belt Contender

Lungsofsteel Avatar

Career:2,096-1,383
Camp: FLBTV All-Stars
Chips:

Posted by DoTheMMAth

So much for all the prevailing theories:

- he was shook up from his teammate injuring a man to death
- he was playing chicken in an attempt to get more money out of the UFC
- he didn't want to risk a 2nd loss in a row on a fight he probably won't win

In the end we still have a staredown of sorts between Conor and UFC brass. I'm guessing UFC will blink and Conor still fights at 200.

Or he's on PED's.

Ad: FanDuel: Play Daily Fantasy Sports

Post #11   4/21/16 3:11:43PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:4,950-2,724
Chips:
Fights officially off now vs diaz.

No going back.

Post #12   4/21/16 3:28:07PM   

Five-Alive

“Water is wet, fire burns"

Five-Alive Avatar

Career:1,412-859
Chips:

Posted by prozacnation1978

Fights officially off now vs diaz.

No going back.

I can second that. The UFC was willing to pay him 10 mil, move his whole camp and equipment to Vegas so his training won't be affected, but he wouldn't budge so they wouldn't budge. It's officially off and a new main event is being sought out. Mmafighting has the details.

Post #13   4/21/16 4:36:04PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,953-1,167
Camp: Canadian Power Team
Chips:
I'm just disappointed the no one mentioned my headline..."Lengthy Retirement."

Post #14   4/21/16 7:47:58PM   

Sir_Karl

MMA Sensei

Sir_Karl Avatar

Career:3,435-2,455
Chips:

Posted by bjj1605

I'm just disappointed the no one mentioned my headline..."Lengthy Retirement."

I noticed it and thought it was rather hilarious.

Post #15   4/21/16 7:55:49PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2