Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Chael Sonnen thinks Conor McGregor made 'a big mistake'

Print  
Posted By Message

Five-Alive

“Water is wet, fire burns"

Five-Alive Avatar

Career:1,412-859
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
As everyone is by now aware, Conor McGregor tweeted that he was retiring. Shortly afterwards, Dana White announced that the UFC had removed McGregor from his scheduled bout at UFC 200. And for the rest of the afternoon and evening, MMA fans the world over desperately scoured the internet to figure out what precipitated all of this.

Well Chael Sonnen thinks he knows. Last night after all the hoopla, Sonnen did a Facebook live chat where he answered many listener comments surrounding McGregor's situation and talked about his knowledge of the behind the scenes workings.

"I don't have any inside info on this. Just being around the business since the 90's, I know how it works. I know how this whole thing went down. And if I tell you what I think, I guarantee I'm 98 percent right if not 100.

"Conor had a deal with the UFC. And Conor's now going back and trying to renegotiate and it just doesn't work that way. It can't. You can't write everything down, you can't get your contracts done all the time in this business. There's 500 guys under contract. There's not even that many employees in the UFC. I think there's like 340 employees with 500 fighters. There's 53 shows scheduled for a year that only has 52 weeks in the year. You have to be able to make a phone call, count on whatever the guy says, hang up the phone and that's the end of it. You have to be able to do that.

"Conor has a contract, he made a deal, somewhere he didn't sign it. Let the promotion go out, let the money get spent and then realized ‘I've got the upper hand. Now I can come back and renegotiate. Who's going to tell me no when the advertising is already done?' That's what he did. Guaranteed. With no inside knowledge, guaranteed that's what happened."

MMAFIGHTING LINK

Ad: FanDuel launches Mixup daily fantasy sports for casual fans

Post #1   4/20/16 9:06:19AM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:4,950-2,724
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
In chael i trust.

Connor made a huge mistake.

Fucking up the tent pole event of tentpoles.

Ufc wont ever forget this

Post #2   4/20/16 10:26:48AM   

McBrydeMats

Learning to Sprawl

McBrydeMats Avatar

Career:-
Chips:
Its all just a ploy for more hype...great promo game Connor

Post #3   4/20/16 10:33:04AM   

machodog76

MMA Sensei

machodog76 Avatar

Career:4,940-3,209
Camp: Team Global MMA
Chips:
Chael has thoughtful informed logically sound commentary I agree with? What Bizzaro world did I wake up to?

Last edited 4/25/16 3:14PM server time by machodog76
Edit note/reason: n/a

Ads FanDuel launches Mixup, a fun version of daily fantasy sports for casual fans

Post #4   4/20/16 10:35:16PM   

dbflex

Learning to Sprawl

Career:-
Chips:
Given Chael is no stranger to shooting himself in the foot you have to respect his insight here.

Post #5   4/25/16 1:50:28PM