Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

UFC 74 DIscussion

Print  
  Page 1 of 6     1     2     3     4   >>
Posted By Message

hippysmacker

Boondock Saints Mod

hippysmacker Avatar

Career:1,946-1,103
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
UFC 74: August 25, 2007 in Las Vegas, Nevada @ Mandalay Bay

Main Card Bouts:
-Randy Couture vs. Gabriel Gonzaga
-Georges St. Pierre vs. Josh Koscheck
-Joe Stevenson vs. Kurt Pellegrino
-Kendall Grove vs. Patrick Cote
-Roger Huerta vs. Alberto Gonzales Crane

Preliminary Bouts:
-Marcus Aurelio vs. Clay Guida
-Renato Sobral vs. David Heath
-Antoni Hardonk vs. Frank Mir
-Thales Leites vs. Ryan Jensen

Last edited 8/16/07 8:34PM server time by MMA
Edit note/reason: n/a

“Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie ,cheat ,or steal.for selfish gain. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil. Never back away from an enemy. Either fight or surrender. It is not enough to say I will not be evil. Evil must be fought wherever it is found.”
The Iron Code

Post #1   7/7/07 3:05:32AM   

TOMMYAYO05

MMA Sensei

TOMMYAYO05 Avatar

Career:481-312
Camp: Ultimate Fighter Top Team
Chips:
Yes this one is just as good as stacked maybe even better!

Post #2   7/7/07 4:05:33AM   

lehmkuhl

Learning to Sprawl

Career:36-21
Chips:
I think its a decent card. everyone wants to see randy again. i think the masses want to see grudge matches now. after tito vs . shamrock

Post #3   7/7/07 4:52:36AM   

jeremygreen

MMA Regular

jeremygreen Avatar

Career:212-145
Camp: The Pit
Chips:
I like this card actually better than stacked, hopefully it will be amazing.

Post #4   7/7/07 7:24:58PM   

NatedawgThaM

MMA Sensei

NatedawgThaM Avatar

Career:676-444
Chips:
It's a pretty good card. Randy & Ginzaga should be a good interesting fight which favors gonzage because of hs better stand up & good BJJ, Cote/Kendall will be a canidate for fight of the night, 2 young fighters trying to make a name, grove close to getting a title shot with a few more wins. I really don't see Josh/GSP that big of a deal. You all saw Diego/Josh, there too full of themselves. Wow Diego KO'd the most overrated fighter in mma joe riggs, who cares? Josh didn't even ko anybody he just got better GNP, so why he think he got KO power? I see GSP dominating and getting the victory in a decent fight if GSP can push the pace.

Post #5   7/8/07 12:06:06AM   

leeman

Learning to Sprawl

Career:98-63
Camp: Jujiden MMA
Chips:
i luv st pierre as much as the next guy but i can see koscheck giving him a good run for his money. Arguably the best wrestler and athlete in the ufc, koscheck seems to improve in between fights faster then anybody. It will be interesting how GSP comes back after the big KO might be a bit tentative, regardless should be a good fight.

P.S. nebody know whats up with diego? first hes fighting sakurai on the 74 card, then he says B.J. and now i hear its john fitch at ufc 76?

Post #6   7/8/07 3:45:11AM   

tepid55

MMA Sensei

tepid55 Avatar

Career:2,851-1,574
Camp: Pride FC Forever
Chips:
Couture/Gonzaga and Koscheck/St. Pierre could be awesome.

Post #7   7/8/07 5:06:36PM   

fedorwins1

MMA Sensei

Career:552-270
Chips:
Gonzaga takes it by dec. and I see Pierre getting a TKO.

Post #8   7/8/07 6:27:06PM   

leeman

Learning to Sprawl

Career:98-63
Camp: Jujiden MMA
Chips:
lol i never wanna count out randy but gonzaga isnt tim sylvia. He is a much bigger stronger fighter. Sure sylvia is 6 8 260 ish but hes a soft out of shape 260 who doesnt impose is his size at all. Gonzaga is about 240 but he is extremely powerful and can really imposes his strengh on people. If randy gets him to the ground hes just entering gonzagas world. However, even before the brutal headkick it wus clear that gonzaga is no joke on the feet either and is extremely agile and quick for a big guy. On paper Gonzaga easily, but fights arent won on paper and it is Randy couture so well just have to wait and see

Post #9   7/8/07 6:32:00PM   

samtherealdeal

Learning to Sprawl

Career:3-6
Chips:
As far as Stacked it wasn't that great of a card maybe if it was Silva vs Rich and Sean vs Nate Diaz or Evans vs everyone but Tito. This card looks much better. I like Randy but I think think Gonzaga is stronger and his style is better vs randy than lets say Tim Sylvia and Cro Crop. Randy seems to do better vs strikers with Chuck Liddel being an exception. As for georges I see him submiting Koshcheck .

Post #10   7/8/07 6:42:15PM   

taz3423

Learning to Sprawl

Career:1,911-1,115
Chips:
I think UFC 74 will end up being the best fight card of 07' thus far after its completed.

Randy/Gonzaga is going to be a good fight. Randy left the HW division because of his troubles with fighters that have Gonzaga's build and skill set (Ricco). I believe Randy is a better/smarter fighter now and Gonzaga looks like he is a beast so it is an intriguing match up. GSP/Koscheck #1 Contender Match Up is going to be a great fight. Both fighters are extremely athletic. GSP is one of the most dynamic fighters in MMA and Koscheck is improving with each fight and has nothing to lose and all to gain. I see GSP winning but Koscheck forcing it to go the distance. Stevenson/Pellegrino another title contender fight (wouldve been the #1 contender match if BJ would've moved up to 170) I think this could be a war. Pellegrino is a great ground fighter and Stevenson is a great wrestler with improving stand up. I think this could be a great technical match up. Babalu/Heath good to see Babalu fighting again. Cote/Grove could be a fun fight. It'll be interesting to see if Grove has shown more improvement like he has in every one of his fights. Lutter/Jensen hopefully Lutter will come in shape and show that his decent performance against Silva wasn't a fluke.

Another fight I heard was rumored is Marcus Aurelio vs Clay Guida. If that fight is booked that is an another awesome fight that rounds off an already stacked card.

I am really excited for UFC 74 and you should be too.

Post #11   7/9/07 12:14:46AM   

spikerman19

Standup Guy

spikerman19 Avatar

Career:266-174
Camp: Norcal Fight Team
Chips:

Posted by fedorwins1

Gonzaga takes it by dec. and I see Pierre getting a TKO.

ITS still all wierd for me,I am picking Gonzaga but he was involved
in the worst bout ever at ufc 56 against Jordan.It crazy when you think two years ahead,you dont think of James Irvin as the 205 lbs champ at ufc 95 but i guess any thing is possible

Post #12   7/9/07 12:31:00AM   

DevonFoxy

MMA Sensei

DevonFoxy Avatar

Career:1,450-848
Chips:
I'm so excited about this fight card mostly because all of the fights are up in the air. I cant wait to see how this one plays out. I mean as the Main Event you have Gonzaga vs Couture which is sure to be a good match but i mean when is it ever smart to pick against Randy?? Gonzaga looks like he is unstoppable after his demolition of Cro Cop but when everyone counts out Couture he performs that much better. Couture is gonna take it to the ground but i mean Gonzaga is a BJJ black belt and an explosive man for being as big as he is. Young guy thats never been in a title fight as Couture usually only fights in title fights lately lol. This fight is so hard to predict and even harder to know whats gonna happen in it. I cant wait and im sure the crowd will be really into it.

Gsp vs Kos. wow i was talking to my friends about this fight before it was announced as it was the only logical decision for the two. Both want a title shot. One just lost his title and he got dominated in his fight which he is used to doing to his opponents (personally i think he had a bad showing an is 20xs better then he showed against Serra) one is coming of the biggest win of his short career. I thought about this fight many times and i honestly dont know what could happen. I like Gsp in this one but i never will count out Kos especially when his wrestling wasn't even shown like he is gonna show at UFC 74. Kos would be 12-0 in the UFC if he didn't get caught and slack off in the match with Fickett with 30 seconds left. so i mean i think everyone is counting out Kos but i think the match will be much closer then everyone is thinking. This is the Main Event to me as i think it can be match of night easily. I'm curious of how GSP will come off his loss and it will definitely be the reason he wins or gets the L.

Joe"Daddy" Stevenson vs Kurt Pellegrino. many think Daddy is gonna run over him but personally i dont think they are giving Kurt enough credit for his credentials he has some crazy BJJ and is prolly training harder then ever after the Franca loss.(they train in the same camp) So i think this one is much closer then people are thinking. I dont think Stevenson is gonna walk over this guy like he did Melvin. On the other hand i think Stevenson is at the top of his game right now and is ready to get himself a title shot. I think now more then ever is the time you do not want to face Stevenson if your trying to get into the title picture because he is showing his great submission ability and his strength reminds me of only one other person in the 155 division....the champ Sean Sherk.

Kendall Grove vs Patrick Cote is another fight on the card which easily can be fight of the night. Grove is on a big time win streak in the UFC and it really looks like he unbeatable at the moment winning his last 3 fights in dominating fashion. He took out the favorite to win TUF Ed Herman in the finale and looks better and more explosive each time we see him in the octagon. Cote is no joke tho i mean when you train with GSP its not gonna hurt your game by any means. The predator just came off a Unanimous Dec. to get his first win in the octagon which has to motivate him and im sure he's ready to keep to his winning ways.

Travis Lutter vs Ryan Jensen is a lot better match (i think) then most people are thinking its gonna be. Lutter is coming off a disappointing loss and failure to make the weight for a title fight against the champ who looks invincible right now. But Lutter actually tested Silva and was doing very well against him untill he fell into a triangle choke and was forced to tap. I honestly dont know much about Ryan Jensen his record is 11-1 but record mean absolutely nothing when your in the octagon. I do know he has never been out of the second round with a fighter and when the match goes out of the first round he is 0-1. He is has a bunch of submission victories and a couple of TKO wins but i dont think hes ever stepped into a match with some one like Lutter and his only loss came from a submission which is what Lutter is all about. Should be a good fight.

Finally Renato "Babalu" Sobral vs David Heath. This match will be interesting on many levels i wonder how Babalu is gonna do coming off an upset in many minds loosing to Jason Lambert. Sobral is an amazing fighter and is very exciting with incredible credentials with wins over top guys like Mauricio "Shogun" Rua (in 1 of his 2 losses) and Jeremy Horn in the same night. The experience factor has to go to Babalu...however Heath is coming off his first loss in his career and is gonna be more focused then ever to be back in the fight for title shot contention. I win of Babalu would certainly put him back in the mix that is the LHW title picture. Its gonna be interesting to see who can come off a loss and take this fight.

All in all looks like a great fight card and i can't wait for this!!!!!!

Post #13   7/9/07 11:10:49AM   

IrishA-hole

Learning to Sprawl

IrishA-hole Avatar

Career:205-130
Camp: S.M.O.
Chips:
looks like a pretty good card. havent seen babalu in a while.

Post #14   7/9/07 12:48:08PM   

kaduey

In Full Mount

kaduey Avatar

Career:1,537-829
Chips:

Posted by leeman

i luv st pierre as much as the next guy but i can see koscheck giving him a good run for his money. Arguably the best wrestler and athlete in the ufc, koscheck seems to improve in between fights faster then anybody. It will be interesting how GSP comes back after the big KO might be a bit tentative, regardless should be a good fight.

P.S. nebody know whats up with diego? first hes fighting sakurai on the 74 card, then he says B.J. and now i hear its john fitch at ufc 76?

I haven't seen any improvement from Kos since he's been in the UFC. He'll continue to out wrestle his opponents to victory, except for GSP who will domintate him like he did Trigg, Sherk, and Hughes.

Post #15   7/10/07 10:31:23AM   

Page 1 of 6     1     2     3     4   >>