Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Chris Weidman breaks silence after UFC 194: ‘I'm really happy I lost'

Print  
Posted By Message

Wez

Standup Guy

Wez Avatar

Career:1,798-1,095
Camp: The Dirty Birds
Chips:
Chris Weidman accomplished more before his first professional loss than many fighters do in a lifetime. He defeated Anderson Silva -- the man many consider to be the greatest fighter to ever grace the middleweight division -- not once, but twice in capturing the UFC middleweight title. He defended that belt in subsequent challenges from Lyoto Machida and Vitor Belfort. But happy endings are rarity in the fight game, and for Weidman, his magical run came crashing to a halt at UFC 194.

Read more here....

(Courtesy of All That MMA on Twitter)

Ad: Find out about FanDuel's newly launch game called Mixup

Post #1   1/11/16 4:22:53PM   

pmoney

P$ Pimpin'

pmoney Avatar

Career:2,292-1,452
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
I was going to say, "So that's what a lie sounds like". After reading the article though, maybe Weidman isn't so full of BS. GSP lost twice, officially, and was able to avenge those losses and come back to be recognized as one of the best fighters the game has ever seen. Perhaps if Weidman puts his nose to the grind stone and makes some changes, he can reach that level.

Post #2   1/11/16 7:19:29PM   

aussiemma

Soup is not a meal

aussiemma Avatar

Career:2,134-1,216
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
It all came down to one move in that fight. That stupid spinning back kick he did whilst gassed was a big mistake that was the beginning of the end. Weidman was doing decent on the feet and rockhold was probably just edging him when on the ground

Post #3   1/11/16 10:12:02PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:5,491-3,027
Chips:
Not happier than I was

Post #4   1/11/16 11:26:21PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,953-1,167
Camp: Canadian Power Team
Chips:
My opinion: Weidman is a very good, but not a great fighter.

He had two very fortunate wins against an aging Anderson Silva. His best win to date, in my opinion, was Machida. I think Prime Anderson, and prime many of Anderson's opponents, beat Weidman handily.

Middleweight is in an odd place. I don't think either Weidman or Rockhold is going to be the guy who holds the belt for years and becomes a great champ. MW is where LHW was for a while after Chuck lost and I think we'll see the title change hands more times before it's through.

Post #5   1/12/16 1:04:08AM   

tildengolfer

Dub Nation

tildengolfer Avatar

Career:2,355-1,652
Camp: Pride FC Forever
Chips:

Posted by aussiemma

It all came down to one move in that fight. That stupid spinning back kick he did whilst gassed was a big mistake that was the beginning of the end. Weidman was doing decent on the feet and rockhold was probably just edging him when on the ground

I agree with this a bit. While I picked Rockhold to win in that fight and think Rockhold is the better fighter, Weidman could have won that by playing his game and fighting Rockhold, he didn't. He tried to be flashy and match Rockhold, that was his downfall. Had he ground it out, he might have won, but it's all speculatory at this point.

Post #6   1/12/16 1:54:08AM   

george112

The Playground OG

george112 Avatar

Career:2,341-1,506
Camp: Playground Bullies
Chips:

Posted by bjj1605

He had two very fortunate wins against an aging Anderson Silva. His best win to date, in my opinion, was Machida. I think Prime Anderson, and prime many of Anderson's opponents, beat Weidman handily.

Middleweight is in an odd place. I don't think either Weidman or Rockhold is going to be the guy who holds the belt for years and becomes a great champ. MW is where LHW was for a while after Chuck lost and I think we'll see the title change hands more times before it's through.

Anderson's Prime opponents beat Weidman handily?????? Do you really mean that??

Diaz
Bonnar
Lutter
Leben
Griffin
Maia
Okami
Cote
Irving

Are you smoking crack?? lol

Granted I will give Sonnen a pretty good shot if he would fight smart. But seriously, that is like the only one I would say had a decent shot at beating Weidman and even that would by no means be "handily"

Post #7   1/12/16 11:46:48AM   

GDPofMPG

FKA3.0

GDPofMPG Avatar

Career:3,269-2,033
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
I doubt weidman ever beats rockhold. He had a good first round but proceeded to look worse and worse as Luke adjusted and began to rise above on the feet, Chris was beaten and gassed in to the second. Saying the only reason he lost is because he was gassed out, desparate, and defeated enough to throw a poor kick is really missing the big picture. That kick came because of how the fight was going for Chris, very badly. It reminded me of how sonnen gives up in fights. The kick and subsequent ass whipping only hastened the inevitabla ass whipping Luke going to give him. He can't go strike for strike or kick for kick and he can't sustain an effective ground game with rockhold, he gassed out and lost trying to before getting wrecked. he would need big adjustments or improvements to avenge his loss to Luke

Last edited 1/12/16 1:23PM server time by gdpofmpg
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #8   1/12/16 1:22:16PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,953-1,167
Camp: Canadian Power Team
Chips:

Posted by george112

Posted by bjj1605

Diaz
Bonnar
Lutter
Leben
Griffin
Maia
Okami
Cote
Irving

Granted I will give Sonnen a pretty good shot if he would fight smart. But seriously, that is like the only one I would say had a decent shot at beating Weidman and even that would by no means be "handily"

Sonnen is actually one that I wouldn't ever pick against Weidman.

The guys I was thinking of were:

Okami
Belfort
Henderson
Franklin
and Marquardt

I think all of them, in their primes, are better than Weidman.

Post #9   1/12/16 1:59:25PM   

george112

The Playground OG

george112 Avatar

Career:2,341-1,506
Camp: Playground Bullies
Chips:

Posted by bjj1605

Posted by george112

Posted by bjj1605

Diaz
Bonnar
Lutter
Leben
Griffin
Maia
Okami
Cote
Irving

Sonnen is actually one that I wouldn't ever pick against Weidman.

The guys I was thinking of were:

Okami
Belfort
Henderson
Franklin
and Marquardt

I think all of them, in their primes, are better than Weidman.

OHHHHHHH you mean Belfort on TRT I gotcha ah might as well throw Henderson in there too.

But in all seriousness

As much as I am a fan of most of the guys you mentioned above I cannot see how any of those guys win with their showcased skill sets (i say that because I am talking about a fight between them where the fight went to a decision)

Okami- Can't really strike all to well. And his wrestling I would not put on par with Weidmans.

I would take Weidman via sub in under 3 rounds

Belfort- Well Weidman has already beat him so yeah........

Henderson- If Hendo would use his wrestling than yeah I could see a possibility of him winning. But unfortunately he is virtually a one trick pony and has been for a while. Weidman's speed, bjj, and wrestling would pretty much overwhelm Hendo imo.

Weidman via sub in the second half of the second would be my pick

Franklin- While Franklin was pretty well rounded, even himself in his prime was not nearly as fast or good on the ground as Weidman. I don't think Franklin would get finished however by Weidman, i just feel like it would be a lopsided decision full of takedowns and GNP

Weidman via lopsided UD

Marquardt- yeah......no. Weidman is just a better version of Marquardt IMO

Post #10   1/12/16 2:31:30PM   

airkerma

KE Released in MAtter

airkerma Avatar

Career:2,150-1,332
Camp: The Misfits
Chips:

Posted by GDPofMPG

I doubt weidman ever beats rockhold. He had a good first round but proceeded to look worse and worse as Luke adjusted and began to rise above on the feet, Chris was beaten and gassed in to the second. Saying the only reason he lost is because he was gassed out, desparate, and defeated enough to throw a poor kick is really missing the big picture. That kick came because of how the fight was going for Chris, very badly. It reminded me of how sonnen gives up in fights. The kick and subsequent ass whipping only hastened the inevitabla ass whipping Luke going to give him. He can't go strike for strike or kick for kick and he can't sustain an effective ground game with rockhold, he gassed out and lost trying to before getting wrecked. he would need big adjustments or improvements to avenge his loss to Luke

All very true

Ad: Find out about FanDuel's newly launch game called Mixup

Post #11   1/12/16 4:20:27PM   

tildengolfer

Dub Nation

tildengolfer Avatar

Career:2,355-1,652
Camp: Pride FC Forever
Chips:

Posted by GDPofMPG

People aren't mentioning that Rockhold had a staph infection and was taking antibiotics up to the day of the fight. He talked about it on FATK and said he wasn't going to pull out no matter what. He said his cardio was dog shit and that's why he looked so bad in the Weidman fight. And I believe him. I've watched him all through Strikeforce and his cardio was unreal. That Weidman fight he looked like something was wrong and now it makes sense to me.

Ads FanDuel launches Mixup, a fun version of daily fantasy sports for casual fans

Post #12   1/12/16 8:08:00PM   

Michael_Corleone

I'm knocking out all bums

Michael_Corleone Avatar

Career:2,431-1,376
Chips:

Posted by prozacnation1978

Not happier than I was

...remind me to never piss you off, lol.

Post #13   1/12/16 8:53:36PM