Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

What becomes of Conor McGregor with a loss at UFC 194?

Print  
Posted By Message

tildengolfer

Dub Nation

tildengolfer Avatar

Career:2,250-1,567
Camp: Pride FC Forever
Chips:
In this week’s Twitter Mailbag, what happens if Conor McGregor loses at UFC 194? And if he can’t beat Jose Aldo, who in the world can?

We’ll also walk the fine line between getting pumped for future fights without jinxing them, and discuss the UFC’s plans for a new rehab facility that might require some arm-twisting to get fighters to visit.

link

Ad: FanDuel launches Mixup, a fun version of daily fantasy sports for casual fans

Post #1   12/4/15 5:46:15PM   

GDPofMPG

FKA3.0

GDPofMPG Avatar

Career:3,269-2,033
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
He remains a quality fighter, probably stays obnoxious but with a mild temporary tempering of his shtick, mma fans tired of his shtick similar to those worn of rousey let their feelings be known, haters say he was garbage all along, barring ongoing injury issues he probably finds another title shot on the merits of his abilities but more likely asap like sonnen got.

Post #2   12/4/15 10:16:26PM   

airkerma

KE Released in MAtter

airkerma Avatar

Career:2,040-1,259
Camp: The Misfits
Chips:
He's talked such a big game though. It's hard to maintain that when you didn't back it up. To sonnens credit, he was able to keep up that shtick until the second loss to Anderson. At that point it was more talk with the knowledge he couldn't back it up...that Jones fight was one of the most lopsided title fights I've ever seen.

Back on point. With the amount he's made, the amount he will make in 1 week, and that he's already retired or seriously considered calling it a career earlier in his life, it wouldn't shock me to see him just kick back and call it a career if he loses.

Post #3   12/5/15 8:43:32AM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:5,215-2,873
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
If he loses he goes to 155

Post #4   12/5/15 4:18:11PM   

TheShaman

Standup Guy

TheShaman Avatar

Career:1,468-924
Chips:
He remains the best striker in the division. Depending on the nature of his loss and what transpires in the fight before that, he could even gain stock with fans or at least not lose any. It might be the fight of the century where both fighters become fan favorites and restore anything they might have lost or never had in the first place.

If he loses and looks bad doing it, it wouldn't be characteristic and I'm sure an online war between the fans would break out. I think Conor is the type of fighter who works to get better, and everything he has said about other fighters has been on point, if not a little harsh, and he will take that analytical ability and apply it to himself and eventually be the champ.

However, I think Mendes was more of a challenge for him stylistically. Everyone was saying "Yeah, if he beats Aldo just wait for Mendes to take the belt from Conor". I think one of his hardest tests has been passed, and the other test will be Edgar 2.0's footwork and seamless level changes. ...not that Aldo is a walk in the park for anyone. That's all the analysis I'm giving for free

Post #5   12/5/15 4:59:28PM   

jae_1833

Chin-tastic!

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:5,219-3,452
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
If he gets knocked out then he doesn't stay the best striker in the division, win or lose he will likely go to 155. I think the guy is ready to stop the weight cutting that he goes through to make 145. If he wins he will definitely defend the belt at least once, winner of Edger v Mendes just makes too much sense and good drama especially if it's Mendes.

Post #6   12/5/15 11:19:26PM   

TheShaman

Standup Guy

TheShaman Avatar

Career:1,468-924
Chips:

Posted by jae_1833

If he gets knocked out then he doesn't stay the best striker in the division

It's possible that he clearly gets outstruck, but that would involve more than a single punch, more of a Holm/Rousey or Dillashaw/Barao display, but not even necessarily to that extent. Also, examples that complicate such an assessment include JDS knocking out Cain, Serra beating GSP, and Villante dismantling Lawlor before getting put away in the second round.

I think there's enough analysis of Conor's striking available at this point that makes a fairly objective conclusion possible. You never know when two fighters get in the cage though. That's why they're fighting.

Post #7   12/6/15 1:56:17AM   

jasonnorin

Learning to Sprawl

jasonnorin Avatar

Career:-
Chips:
For me, Conor Mcgregor has a lot at stake in this fight than the current champ. That's because Conor has already released a lot of barbs against Aldo and if he can't back it up, then all of his trash talks from the past would make no sense. If he loses, then he will remain a great fighter that can indeed market his fights quite effectively. We can't change the fact that Conor is indeed one of the many reasons why combat sports is an exciting spectacle nowadays - that is why people are buying the idea of MMA. If he won't beat Aldo, I guess a rematch between the champ and Mendez will seal the deal. OR, a fight against Frankie Edgar.

Last edited 12/9/15 9:53PM server time by jasonnorin
Edit note/reason: n/a

Ads FanDuel launches Mixup, a fun version of daily fantasy sports for casual fans

Post #8   12/9/15 9:50:14PM   

GDPofMPG

FKA3.0

GDPofMPG Avatar

Career:3,269-2,033
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
What has me interested is what happens after someone wins this fight.

If Aldo wins, I think Dana might give McGregor an instant rematch at UFC 200.

The way things are going though at this point and for the greater part of the last year, if McGregor wins, he fights at UFC 200 and not against Aldo but either Edgar if he wins against Mendes or a LW.

My bold prediction you better not dig up come UFC 200 when neither fight.

Last edited 12/11/15 5:47PM server time by gdpofmpg
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #9   12/11/15 5:46:49PM