Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

The unthinkable: Holly Holm KOs Ronda Rousey in massive upset

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

Wez

Standup Guy

Wez Avatar

Career:1,702-1,033
Camp: Night Spiders
Chips:
The most dominant athlete on the planet got dominated on Saturday night. The nearly unthinkable happened: Ronda Rousey was beat up by Holly Holm and lost her UFC title.

Read more here....

(Courtesy of All That MMA on Twitter)

Ad: FanDuel launches Mixup, a fun version of daily fantasy sports for casual fans

Post #1   11/15/15 1:22:27AM   

nirvana184

MMA Sensei

nirvana184 Avatar

Career:2,190-1,293
Chips:
That head kick was one of the most satisfying knockouts that I've ever seen. It's right up there with Hendo's H-bomb over Bisping.

Post #2   11/15/15 1:39:05AM   

aussiemma

Soup is not a meal

aussiemma Avatar

Career:2,033-1,158
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
If they had a rematch which I don't think they will, I can't see Rhonda beating holm in a rematch. Holm was much bigger and just completely schooled her everywhere.

Post #3   11/15/15 1:43:42AM   

tildengolfer

Dub Nation

tildengolfer Avatar

Career:2,267-1,591
Camp: Pride FC Forever
Chips:
That fight was unreal. Holly had an answer for everything. Ronda looked like she was in a track meet trying to get after Holly. Sucks. But congrats to Holly. LikeJoe said, she fought the perfect fight. I just can't believe how little head movement Rousey used and seriously had no respect for Holly's striking and signature left high kick. I think Rousey let her ego get too big and thought she was untouchable.

Post #4   11/15/15 1:48:57AM   

Playground_Samurai

Spock>Every Superhero Ever

Playground_Samurai Avatar

Career:2,582-1,393
Chips:

Posted by tildengolfer
Sucks.

What sucks about it?

Post #5   11/15/15 2:00:32AM   

tildengolfer

Dub Nation

tildengolfer Avatar

Career:2,267-1,591
Camp: Pride FC Forever
Chips:
Dana in post fight press conference said 'the rematch makes sense, it changes a whole lot of things, it changes Cyborg, and it changes everything we had in the works..' With a little smile he finished the last statement. I think he had Cyborg lined up for a title shot against Rousey.

Post #6   11/15/15 2:02:34AM   

telnights

MODesty

telnights Avatar

Career:1,462-806
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
It was clear Ronda was unprepared for this fight and only people can blame that on is Ronda and her coach. They had way to much confidence in her stand up. The most shocking was Rondas coach telling her she was doing great at the end of round 1. But with that said Holly looked great tonight and will be happy to see how she does in a rematch or against strong wrestler like Tate.

Post #7   11/15/15 2:56:05AM   

UFC_Fanatic

MMA Sensei

UFC_Fanatic Avatar

Career:2,515-1,570
Camp: Team Global MMA
Chips:

Posted by tildengolfer

That fight was unreal. Holly had an answer for everything. Ronda looked like she was in a track meet trying to get after Holly. Sucks. But congrats to Holly. LikeJoe said, she fought the perfect fight. I just can't believe how little head movement Rousey used and seriously had no respect for Holly's striking and signature left high kick. I think Rousey let her ego get too big and thought she was untouchable.

Lets not pretend for 2 seconds that rousey ever displayed great head movement before. She always seemed to come out shot-out-of-a-cannon fast and run into something most fights. I remember her getting tagged with a hard shot at the beginning of her second fight with tate, and I saw it in most of her other ufc fights. She is a great offensive fighter but I always thought she might be lacking defensively and thought/worried that if she ever got into a situation with a fighter that she couldn't keep on edge with the threat of a throw might spell the end of her run and that's what happened tonight. No excuses can be made for her here. She was completely outclassed tonight. Looked like she didn't even belong in the cage with Holm.

Post #8   11/15/15 3:31:10AM   

VitoCapone

Standup Guy

VitoCapone Avatar

Career:3,373-2,191
Chips:
Best Knockout of 2015 in the UFC. Due to the fact Rousey was on the receiving end of that KO it is now my all-time favorite.

Post #9   11/15/15 3:42:45AM   

isk

MMA Sensei

isk Avatar

Career:5-3
Chips:
Rousey bullied the shit out of most opponents. It's not like she was fighting bums or anything; she simply had the mental edge and the physical gifts. And while she didn't have a good gameplan for this fight, she puts in the work.

A telling statement I read earlier is that, in Holm's first two fights, she looked tentative and points-based. That's partly due to nerves, but I think now we've shed light on how stylistically unfavorable those fights were for her. She prefers to command distance, land clean counters, and pick opponents apart.

But Rousey? Perfect matchup for Holm. A confident, aggressive, even wild opponent is a blessing for a counter fighter - especially one with a bit of power.

l'm not especially happy that Rousey lost. I like her, I think she's good for the sport and she gets loud about important stuff. But this wasn't her weekend, no denying that. Holm was fantastic.

Post #10   11/15/15 6:11:33AM   

FlashyG

Heavyweight Champ

FlashyG Avatar

Career:4,406-2,459
Chips:
I'm not as confident as everyone else here that Holm handles her like that in a rematch.

All Rousey really needs is a proper coach and that's an entirely different fight. Rousey shouldn't be trying to outbox a boxer, and she certainly shouldn't be trying to do it while chasing her around the cage.

If Rousey continues to train in the same place and in the same way then I agree Holm will light her up again, but if she's serious about getting the title back she'll be switching to a different camp and I think we'll see a new Rousey next time around.

Brilliant fight by Holm though, she made Ronda tire herself out for the first half of the opening round then opened up and brutally finished someone we've all wanted to see get humbled.

Ad: FanDuel launches Mixup, a fun version of daily fantasy sports for casual fans

Post #11   11/15/15 10:11:03AM   

aussiemma

Soup is not a meal

aussiemma Avatar

Career:2,033-1,158
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
^ agree somewhat that a new camp and coaches would do her better. Let's re-cap the fight though. Rousey did try to basically chase her with zero head movement or faints for most of the fight. When she did clinch she could not do anything, it went to the ground and rousey couldnt do anything there either. I also felt in the clinch exchange that there was a clear strength and size advantage to holm also.

I just think the same thing would happen again, the skill difference in the stand up was night and day. Not even between dillashaw vs Barao was there that much of a discrepancy in the striking, and we all saw that basically the exact same thing happened in the rematch. It's not like holm got lucky either, it was a clear systematic destruction of rousey.

We never see women get knocked out like that either, that was the most brutal Ko I've ever seen a woman take and that is going to take a lot to comeback from psychologically just to get back into the cage let alone against holm again.

Post #12   11/15/15 10:40:37AM   

FKA

IN DEREK CARR WE TRUST!!

FKA Avatar

Career:2,101-1,335
Camp: Team Global MMA
Chips:
Holm saved Ronda from cyborg lmao

Post #13   11/15/15 10:44:52AM   

Goatenstein

Belt Contender

Career:869-595
Chips:
Rousey finally fights someone her own size who is also a world class athlete and gets fucking wrecked easily.

Post #14   11/15/15 10:56:30AM   

GDPofMPG

FKA3.0

GDPofMPG Avatar

Career:3,269-2,033
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:

Holy Shit, It's been a handful of few years since I screamed like a little girl watching UFC like I did last night.

My apologies to Holm, I didn't give her a chance and overlooked everything. I really didn't think she would be able to stay on her feet. What a performance, a champion MMA fans deserve. She utterly destroyed Rousey and it was the best thing that has happened in the UFC is a while.

I am laughing at your pain Rousey!!! lol

Rousey basically became this fool last night:

What a idiot. Always good to see someone like that get what they deserve.

This isn't a good champion, this is a insecure dbag.

Holm is a legend, she is a champion, I like what the future of WMMA holds with women like her and Joanna as the title holders. Shit I don't even know what to say I'm so happy. I guess this is all that needs to be said:

Post #15   11/15/15 11:10:09AM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2