Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Joe Rogan comments on 'stoolgate,' believes Yoel Romero should have been disqualified

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

tildengolfer

Dub Nation

tildengolfer Avatar

Career:2,056-1,419
Camp: Pride FC Forever
Chips:
Calling the action from cageside at UFC 178, commentator Joe Rogan was closer to 'stoolgate' than just about anyone else.

Link

Ad: FanDuel: Play Daily Fantasy Sports

Post #1   10/3/14 7:26:26PM   

george112

The Playground OG

george112 Avatar

Career:2,004-1,312
Camp: Playground Bullies
Chips:
yep

Post #2   10/3/14 8:44:24PM   

Bustamante-Aoki

Belt Contender

Bustamante-Aoki Avatar

Career:3,481-2,125
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
Joe always close to the action, doesn't stop him from saying that chokes or sub attempts are really deep when anyone watching can see they aren't. He does it all the time, he never watches his monitor. Or he says I can't tell from this angle when the angle in the monitor clearly shows what's happening. He insists on looking through the cage and obstructing his view.

And I'm sure he hasn't re-watched the fight because he's saying it was a 30 second delay when it was only 16 seconds. I timed it.

Post #3   10/3/14 9:01:02PM   

xdanish020

Fight Chemist

xdanish020 Avatar

Career:4,732-2,616
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
He's 100% right, who in their right mind just leaves their fighter sitting on the stool in the cage for 28 seconds after he was supposed to get up? Romero's corner does. There needs to be something done about what happened, because it's so painfully obvious to everyone and their mother that they were just trying to buy more time for Romero who was hurt at the end of the second round. It's a shame, Kennedy was robbed, was a great comeback.

Post #4   10/3/14 9:32:53PM   

DoTheMMAth

MMA Sensei

DoTheMMAth Avatar

Career:1,764-1,102
Chips:

Post #5   10/3/14 9:37:45PM   

emfleek

Your Mom Is A Whore

emfleek Avatar

Career:3,169-1,711
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by Bustamante-Aoki

Joe always close to the action, doesn't stop him from saying that chokes or sub attempts are really deep when anyone watching can see they aren't. He does it all the time, he never watches his monitor. Or he says I can't tell from this angle when the angle in the monitor clearly shows what's happening. He insists on looking through the cage and obstructing his view.

And I'm sure he hasn't re-watched the fight because he's saying it was a 30 second delay when it was only 16 seconds. I timed it.

16 seconds. 30 seconds. 5 minutes. Shouldn't matter - Romero was in direct violation.

Post #6   10/3/14 9:48:53PM   

Bustamante-Aoki

Belt Contender

Bustamante-Aoki Avatar

Career:3,481-2,125
Chips:

Posted by emfleek

16 seconds. 30 seconds. 5 minutes. Shouldn't matter - Romero was in direct violation.

Direct violation of what (real) rule? There's no rule saying a fighter can't sit on his stool if the ref, security, cutman, and cornermen are arguing over Vaseline.

Post #7   10/3/14 10:09:54PM   

UFC_Fanatic

MMA Sensei

UFC_Fanatic Avatar

Career:2,320-1,440
Camp: Team Global MMA
Chips:

Posted by emfleek

Direct violation of what (real) rule? There's no rule saying a fighter can't sit on his stool if the ref, security, cutman, and cornermen are arguing over Vaseline.

There is a rule about standing to answer the bell though. if you don't stand to answer the bell, it's either disqualification or tko loss. When they claimed too much vaseline was on him, big john should have had him stand up and he should have just wiped it off himself or brought somebody in to do, which would've taken all of 2-5 seconds. It's the sitting there and refusing to stand to answer the bell that is a violation of the rules, and a flagrant one at that imo.

Post #8   10/3/14 11:45:49PM   

traveller77

Standup Guy

traveller77 Avatar

Career:1,467-756
Camp: Canadian Power Team
Chips:

Posted by emfleek

WTF was the stool doing in there at that point? It was there because his corner cheated and walked away while he was sitting on it.

UFC_Fanatic is absolutely right. The extra seconds due to the vaseline should have happened while he was standing, but he was parked on his ass stalling. Should have been a 2nd round KO or a DQ. I know you've decided to defend his actions no matter what is said, but you dont have a leg to stand on here, just like Romero when "seconds out" was announced.

Last edited 10/4/14 12:52AM server time by traveller77
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #9   10/4/14 12:51:48AM   

pmoney

P$ Pimpin'

pmoney Avatar

Career:2,049-1,289
Chips:
Thanks DoTheMMAth for the .gif. What else needs to be said or understood?

Call it a No Contest if you want. But DQ or TKO is fucking wrong.

Last edited 10/4/14 1:40AM server time by pmoney
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #10   10/4/14 1:39:08AM   

telnights

MODesty

telnights Avatar

Career:1,462-806
Chips:
Why are we still talking about this. Really people are still butt hurt their fighter lost.

For one the fighter couldn't answer the bell because there was no bell. The ref is the one that makes that call of when the fight starts back. What bothers me most about this hole issue is people claiming Romero corner cheated so he should have lost the fight. They just gloss right over the fact that Kennedy cheated to get Romero hurt in the first place. If your going to claim the rules say one thing in this instance then they apply to both fighters. But lets put all that aside, Kennedy didn't loss the fight because Romero got extra time he lost because he got his ass knocked out. END OF STORY!

Ad: FanDuel: Play Daily Fantasy Sports

Post #11   10/4/14 2:22:17AM   

aussiemma

Soup is not a meal

aussiemma Avatar

Career:1,687-991
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Why isn't anybody giving Romero props here. He was smart enough to get those few more seconds he needed, all he did was sit and wait for McCarthy to tell him to get up.

this is 100% mccarthy's fuck up.

Post #12   10/4/14 5:05:13AM   

airkerma

KE Released in MAtter

airkerma Avatar

Career:1,862-1,134
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by aussiemma

Why isn't anybody giving Romero props here. He was smart enough to get those few more seconds he needed, all he did was sit and wait for McCarthy to tell him to get up.

this is 100% mccarthy's fuck up.

Renzo did in a previous article. He said it was dirty but people are always pushing the boundaries so it was smart.

Some of these pro Romero posts make my head hurt. The logic being applied here is weak at best.
"His glove was grabbed, therefore no other rules need to be applied to the fight!"
"Joe Rogan doesn't watch monitors!"

I think a no contest makes the most sense to me, it could be argued Romero didn't keep his rest within one minute due to illegal blows but big john never noticed them.during the fight. Due to the appeal it could result in a nc, but probably won't.

Post #13   10/4/14 8:11:15AM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:757-423
Chips:
It's funny if john did wave it off we would be arguing no contest the other way due to the glove grab. I still don't like that when his corner left and he didn't stand. It's clear that's common practice corners leave, you stand, ref starts the round. It's pretty simple. The fights I have cornered it was our jobs not the commissions to take the stool. That might change state to state though. But honestly I do have a problem taking a win from one guy when they both cheated.

It was shitty all around but time to move on. The commission doesn't seem to care anyways.

Post #14   10/4/14 10:08:36AM   

JoeWarren33

MMA Sensei

JoeWarren33 Avatar

Career:4,033-2,483
Chips:

Posted by postman

It was shitty all around but time to move on. The commission doesn't seem to care anyways.

The commission doesn't care 99% of the time! Complete joke they are.

Post #15   10/4/14 10:20:26AM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2