Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Chips?

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

emfleek

Your Mom Is A Whore

emfleek Avatar

Career:3,180-1,718
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
I can't find anything explaining in detail what Chips actually are. Currency - I get that. But for what? Why does the house keep 10%? What can these Chips be used for?

I probably should've asked before starting a 1-on-1 Pool with a 10-chip entry (bring it, bitches!).

Ad: FanDuel: Play Daily Fantasy Sports

Post #1   4/26/14 11:35:54AM   

sbulldavid

Heavyweight Champ

sbulldavid Avatar

Career:2,116-1,275
Chips:
I started a one chip winner take all.

Post #2   4/26/14 11:38:54AM   

sbulldavid

Heavyweight Champ

sbulldavid Avatar

Chips:
looks to me like chips are going to be a source of revenue, they don't reset, but I would assume you can run out. You also have the house getting a cut. I'm no MMAthmatician but I see a scam and I'm all for it.

Post #3   4/26/14 11:56:51AM   

pmoney

P$ Pimpin'

pmoney Avatar

Career:2,080-1,312
Chips:

Posted by sbulldavid

looks to me like chips are going to be a source of revenue, they don't reset, but I would assume you can run out. You also have the house getting a cut. I'm no MMAthmatician but I see a scam and I'm all for it.

I could have sworn I saw something in the patch notes that said chips don't run out. Kind of like the bets, I think you get prediction bonuses w/ chips as well. We'll find out in a couple hours, I guess

Post #4   4/26/14 12:42:25PM   

Lungsofsteel

Belt Contender

Lungsofsteel Avatar

Career:2,095-1,383
Camp: FLBTV All-Stars
Chips:
idk but im all in

Post #5   4/26/14 1:29:54PM   

sbulldavid

Heavyweight Champ

sbulldavid Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Lungsofsteel

idk but im all in

Wish I could call, I can see into your soul and see you're fear

Post #6   4/26/14 1:50:31PM   

JLS

Heavyweight Champ

JLS Avatar

Career:3,827-2,007
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
I've already wagered 9 chips.

What's another one.

Post #7   4/26/14 1:55:45PM   

FlashyG

Heavyweight Champ

FlashyG Avatar

Career:4,406-2,459
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
The only thing I don't get about the Chips is what purpose it serves having the house take a cut of them?

Post #8   4/26/14 2:13:34PM   

emfleek

Your Mom Is A Whore

emfleek Avatar

Chips:

Posted by FlashyG

The only thing I don't get about the Chips is what purpose it serves having the house take a cut of them?

Exactly. Unless these chips can be used to purchase upgrades or extras of some sort, I don't see the point.

Post #9   4/26/14 2:28:46PM   

DoTheMMAth

MMA Sensei

DoTheMMAth Avatar

Career:1,764-1,102
Chips:
I think maybe should work on a better / more comprehensive instructions page at some point in the near future. Apologies if it's a little unclear.

For now here's the info from various places on the site about it, hope it helps explain it a little better.

From the patch notes post:

This is a new game/league entirely. Players create and enter "pools" in which their picks for a single event from any of our 3 leagues are matched against whoever else joins that "pool"

This game uses a new currency system, "chips". It costs chips to enter a pool. These chips are then awarded to the pool winner(s)

Pool formats include 1v1, winner take all, and tourney

Tourney pools award the top 25% point scores out of the chip buy-in of all players that entered said pool in a mathematically proportionate manner

Example: A player creates a fantasy pool for an upcoming MMA event. They select “tourney” as the game type, a max pool size of 80 people, with a buy-in of 5 chips. Once the event has taken place, the top 1/4 of point scores get chips added to their account total taken from the chip buy-in total of all the pool players (minus a 10% house cut) in an amount proportional to the place in which they finished in that specific pool. In this example the math works out to 77.3 chips for 1st place in the pool, 41.1 for 2nd, all the way down to 8.6 for 20th place

Pools may be scored using the standard pick'em game scoring (hot bout, underdog bonus, etc) or a simplified point system in which a smaller static number of points is tabulated (correct pick yields 3 points, detail(s) yield 1 point)

All players start with 10 chips. Participation in any of our 3 pick'em leagues will reward players with additional chips to ensure that you always have chips to work with, similar to the familiar synergy between the pick'em and betting leagues

From the getting started page:

Single Event Fantasy Pools Join or create fantasy “pools”, where your put your picks for any single upcoming event found in our 3 pick'em leagues against the picks of other players in a variety of formats (1v1, winner take all, and tourney-style). Joining a pool costs “chips”, which is a currency system built into the website. Everyone starts with 10 chips and can earn more by getting a top score in a pool and collecting “the pot”. You also earn chips simply by participating and making picks for any fight card.

Unlike our pick'em and betting leagues, there are no “seasons” the fantasy pools game. The chips you earn and accrue in this game don't ever reset.

From the fantasy pools main page instructions:

Pit your chips and your picks from any single event in our 3 pick'em leagues against other Playgrounders in a variety of pool formats.

Pool Types

One-on-One - a self-explanitory 2 player pool

Winner Take All - 3-50 players, 1 winner

Tourney - 12-100 players, top 25% of the pool's point scores are rewarded chips proportionate to their score rank in the pool

Scoring Formats

Standard - Your picks are scored using the native MMAPlayground league scoring, including hot bout and underdog bonus

Simplified - Correct pick: 3 points, correct detail: 1 point, no scoring bonus or multiplier on any bouts

Misc

Games that have more than 1 player but do not fill enough to process as the selected game type will be automatically changed to a lower game type and processed accordingly. Example: 7 players join a Tourney pool. In order to have more than 1 prize, at least 8 players must be in a tourney, thus this pool would be automatically changed to a Winner Take All format at the time of statistics execution.

House keeps 10% of chips.

There are no seasons - chips never reset.

All actions are final - you cannot unjoin or delete a pool. Be careful!

Pick'em syngery: earn more chips by making picks in any of our 3 pick'em leagues, with more ways to get chips coming after beta.

Post #10   4/26/14 3:26:38PM   

DoTheMMAth

MMA Sensei

DoTheMMAth Avatar

Career:1,764-1,102
Chips:

Posted by FlashyG

It's intended to simulate the way that a real money league works on most of the single event money league fantasy sites.

It wound up getting shot down for now ("too legally grey", but ya never know), but the game was originally being built to have a real money game, in which case a % would have to come out of winnings to pay transaction fees with paypal and credit card companies, handle the accounting and check writing, etc. The chips were going to be a simulation currency to run alongside the real currency. A way to play if you didn't want to risk real money.

It also adds a little variety to things: semi player vs player wagering, no seasonal resets, something to play if you start partway through a season or just don't pick 100% of every event for some reason.

Not sure what you guys would like to exchange them for, but I'm open to suggestions.

Last edited 4/26/14 3:37PM server time by dothemmath
Edit note/reason: n/a
2 total post edits

Ad: FanDuel: Play Daily Fantasy Sports

Post #11   4/26/14 3:33:23PM   

emfleek

Your Mom Is A Whore

emfleek Avatar

Chips:

Posted by DoTheMMAth

Not sure what you guys would like to exchange them for, but I'm open to suggestions.

Tasteful nudes and lube.

Post #12   4/26/14 3:42:06PM   

Poor_Franklin

Slight Reach Advantage

Poor_Franklin Avatar

Career:2,931-1,692
Camp: Fight Ducker
Chips:

Posted by emfleek

Posted by DoTheMMAth

Tasteful nudes and lube.

Post #13   4/27/14 1:27:02AM   

emfleek

Your Mom Is A Whore

emfleek Avatar

Chips:
Are they also earned per event? I started with 10 prior to UFC 172 and for some reason ended up having 25 when the event was over, even though no one joined my 1-on-1 pool because they're little girls

Post #14   4/27/14 6:20:11AM   

Kpro

I STAB WATERBEDS!

Kpro Avatar

Career:2,976-1,546
Chips:

Posted by emfleek

Are they also earned per event? I started with 10 prior to UFC 172 and for some reason ended up having 25 when the event was over, even though no one joined my 1-on-1 pool because they're little girls

On the beta site we got 10 for Primary, 5 for Casual, 5 or 10 for L2. For just participating. That's why you went from 10 to 25. So when someone hits 0, they can still do chips tourneys from chips earned making picks.

Post #15   4/27/14 8:05:50AM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2