Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Kids acting up in restaurants - Your opinion

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

Shawn91111

The MMAPlayground's Co-Creator

Shawn91111 Avatar

Career:2,701-1,415
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Ok so back-story. My brother went out to dinner with my other brother, his wife, their 2 girls (ages 6 and 3) and my parents and a few others. It was in a restaurant, an upscale TGI Fridays type of place. The 3 year old was screaming like a high pitch noise for 5-10 min. Now the girls father tried to stop it, but then made a game out of it and only encouraged it by doing so. Another diner came over and made comments about how that's not appropriate for the girl to act like that etc etc. My brother went off on her for speaking her mind and told me that kids will be kids.

Hearing all this, I agree with the lady. You're paying good money to enjoy going out, you don't need to hear that. I have a 5 year old. He is extremely polite and well mannered. But kids being kids, they do get tired and have melt downs etc. And he has before and I just remove him from the place and calm him down, and if he doesn't then I just will leave or sit in the car with him until everyone in my party is done. I will not be one of those parents that are oblivious of other people and have no care about it.

So my question is. How do you feel when you are out to eat and see kids doing this? Are you "kids will be kids" or " that's not appropriate behavior" sort. Also those with kids, how do you handle your children acting up in restaurants?

Post #1   6/1/13 8:38:43PM   

Lungsofsteel

Belt Contender

Lungsofsteel Avatar

Career:950-603
Camp: FLBTV All-Stars
Chips:
you beat em

Post #2   6/1/13 8:53:21PM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,296-1,214
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by Lungsofsteel

you beat em

I seriously hope that's a joke.

Anyways - I'm with you, Shawn. When my oldest acts up in public, I remove her from the establishment and talk to her until she calms down. If that doesn't work, like you said, we'll take our food to go or wait for everyone else in the car.

I don't pay to eat in the company of screaming/obnoxious kids and I don't expect others to.

Post #3   6/1/13 8:58:44PM   

infestructure

NOW KITH

infestructure Avatar

Career:734-445
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
I don't have any children, but will speak up if a kid's noise has gone on too long and the parent hasn't taken the sufficient steps to quieting them down.
A few times I've growled at kids on flights and they've shut right up. The parents react by either trying to fight me or thank me.
It all depends on the circumstances though. If someone told my kid to shut up they would have the shit slapped out of them, so I'm a little hypocritical.

Post #4   6/1/13 9:05:01PM   

george112

The Playground OG

george112 Avatar

Career:1,232-801
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
I also dont have kids but i look at it like this.

If your kid is screaming their head off and YOU do nothing. Ill give you the meanest look youve ever seen

like come on you KNOW people are staring and thinking about how annoying your kid is. put a stop to it

Post #5   6/1/13 9:20:44PM   

hotrodttt

Ridin the MMA WW since 02 !

hotrodttt Avatar

Career:2,599-1,392
Chips:
I got smacked in the back of the head (military dad)

Post #6   6/1/13 10:15:45PM   

VILLIN

Human/Sloth Hybrid

VILLIN Avatar

Career:1,837-1,058
Chips:
It is a public setting and people are expected to behave in a certain manner, that includes children. If you can't control your child's behavior then you shouldn't put them in that position. At no point should it get the circumstances that other diners have to ask you to control your child.

Post #7   6/1/13 11:19:39PM   

kopower

Heavyweight Champ

kopower Avatar

Career:2,263-1,218
Chips:
On a few occasions, my 1 1/2 year old has acted up in a resteraunt, and we pulled the server over, and asked for to go boxes, and left. Sometimes there is nothing you can do,and just have to leave when your child is acting up.

What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in the playground is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no props, and may the mods have mercy on your soul.

Post #8   6/2/13 12:20:25AM   

tcunningham

Combat Sport and Fitness

tcunningham Avatar

Career:508-351
Chips:
I'm single with no children but I'm smart enough to know when a parent should be disciplining their kid. If the kid is ruining other people's meal then they need to be dealt with

Post #9   6/2/13 1:44:37AM   

airkerma

KE Released in MAtter

airkerma Avatar

Career:1,040-604
Chips:
Kids will be kids and as such the parent should be defusing the situation. Nobody wants to hear from someone else that they need to work on their parenting, but if your kids are making a scene and you do nothing you suck. The way people let their kids scream their heads off and act up in public is unfathomable. If I was in that position I would be mortified not apathetic. This also goes for plane rides, hotels, airports, and stores. The worst is when I hear kids actively talking back or demanding things and the parent gives in. Once again, if that was me I would be mortified and things would get draconion.

Side note, yesterday I found it ironic that when I hold the door for hood rats they thank me, yet some average adult yesterday couldn't be bothered acknnowledge me holding the door. I don't require gratitude nor do I get off on doing something for someone else, I just think its so easy to do and rude not to.

Post #10   6/2/13 8:48:45AM   

papercut

Hulk Status

papercut Avatar

Career:1,290-1,016
Chips:
I advocate spanking children should have somewhat of a fear of repercussions for acting up. Parents nowadays try to be friends to kids first and never want to be disciplinaries.

Post #11   6/2/13 9:11:14AM   

SpiderSilva

PFM

SpiderSilva Avatar

Career:1,821-1,143
Chips:
With my kids Mrsspidersilva is first to act on the situation. Sometime to early or to late but when I get involved it stops. The kids know I mean business when I want em to stop acting up. Also when the kids are just with me I have zero problems in public.

I AM THE LAW!!!!

He's been known to cure narcalepsy by just walking into a room. His orgin donation card list his beard. He is a lover not a fighter but he's also a fighter so don't get any idea's he is SpiderSilva I'm the baddest man alive

Post #12   6/2/13 9:42:57AM   

airkerma

KE Released in MAtter

airkerma Avatar

Career:1,040-604
Chips:

Posted by papercut

I advocate spanking children should have somewhat of a fear of repercussions for acting up. Parents nowadays try to be friends to kids first and never want to be disciplinaries.

People get all butt hurt if you do it in public, yet as a child the fear of the humiliation of being spanked in public kept me in line. On the other hand the 'brow hit' is simple and effective. Just a hard flick right between the eyes, hurts like a bitch, gets the point across, and doesn't do any real damage.

Post #13   6/2/13 9:46:28AM   

cowcatcher

Steady MODdin'

cowcatcher Avatar

Career:2,542-1,461
Chips:
You guys got it right, you have to remove your kids from the place if they are freaking out.

I'm guessing some of you parents have been to a Chuck E. Cheese's with your kids. That place is the single worst place on earth when it comes to parents not watching/disciplining their kids. Some parents seem to think that when you go there you can just turn your kids loose and drink a beer in the dining area. There will be 8-12 year olds running around full speed crashing into toddlers, kids who's parents aren't watching them sitting on the rides even though they don't have any tokens, and parents pushed to the edge by the other shitty kids there that then act like asses and want to start fights/arguments. It's pure insanity and I find myself nearing a meltdown every time I go there(which has become less and less frequent over the years). I fucking hate that place. Tangent rant over.

Post #14   6/2/13 11:06:43AM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,436-1,301
Chips:
I don't have kids.

But I would definitely tell them and teach them to be polite in places like restraunts and movie theaters

Post #15   6/2/13 11:13:58AM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2