Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Cool boxing clips

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

Svartorm

Hammer of the Gods

Svartorm Avatar

Career:2,077-1,253
Chips:
It's a rainy day at work, so I've been watching some boxing clips on youtube and wanted to share a few.

I love this clip from George Foreman.

Foreman vs Cooney

He had such an odd punching style because he used bare-knuckle boxing techniques passed on to him by boxing legend Archie Moore. Defensively he loved the stonewall with the crossed arms as a shield in front of him, which you never see anymore. He threw such sharp straight punches with squared shoulders, and at 7:12, throws one of my bare-knuckle favorites, an axe punch. Don't see stuff like this anymore!

DREAM 1 - 2nd in Pts
Cage Rage 23 - 6th in Pts
Secondary League Season 3 - 12th in Pts
Secondary League Season 7 - 16th in Wagers
Primary League Season 7 - 26th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 6 - 30th in Pts
Secondary League Season 1 - 31st in Pts
Primary League Season 6 - 39th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 7 - 41st in Pts

Post #1   5/9/13 3:01:05PM   

Svartorm

Hammer of the Gods

Svartorm Avatar

Chips:
Here's my current favorite in the boxing world. Mr. Gennady Golovkin.

GGG

The guy is pure brutality and has the highest KO ratio in his weight class in history. He shuts people off with anything he throws, including jabs. In his last fight, he literally punched his opponent through the ropes and out of the ring.

DREAM 1 - 2nd in Pts

Post #2   5/9/13 3:13:41PM   

Svartorm

Hammer of the Gods

Svartorm Avatar

Chips:
Ernie Shavers was an illiterate heavyweight boxer from Alabama, and is reputed to be one of the hardest punches to have ever lived. Guys described his punching power as being a life-changing experience, and even into his forties, he was one hit quitting people. You'll notice a lot of the "KO"s are actually stoppages where guys are out on their feet and then fall over later, which is about the worst kind of head trauma possible. The punch he lands at 2:01 is like Bisping vs Henderson times ten.

Ernie Shavers

DREAM 1 - 2nd in Pts

Post #3   5/9/13 3:52:40PM   

SmileR

Buy the ticket, take the ride

SmileR Avatar

Career:1,284-761
Chips:

Posted by Svartorm

Ernie Shavers was an illiterate heavyweight boxer from Alabama, and is reputed to be one of the hardest punches to have ever lived. Guys described his punching power as being a life-changing experience, and even into his forties, he was one hit quitting people. You'll notice a lot of the "KO"s are actually stoppages where guys are out on their feet and then fall over later, which is about the worst kind of head trauma possible. The punch he lands at 2:01 is like Bisping vs Henderson times ten.

Ernie Shavers

Damn. . .

Thanks for posting these, man. Its helped me through a boring evening of work.

I've met Ernie several times now and he's always been a gent. He lives not to far from where I live and still bounces on several clubs around the city.

Last edited 5/9/13 5:23PM server time by SmileR
Edit note/reason: n/a

I was born to lead, not to read!!!!

Post #4   5/9/13 4:46:45PM   

SmileR

SmileR Avatar

Chips:
Whats your thoughts on Frazier? If its power ponchers you're watching today he's got to be in there. Check this video out. . .Smokin' Joe

Post #5   5/9/13 4:56:44PM   

Svartorm

Hammer of the Gods

Svartorm Avatar

Chips:

Posted by SmileR

Posted by Svartorm

Ernie Shavers

Damn. . .

I've met Ernie several times now and he's always been a gent. He lives not to far from where I live and still bounces on several clubs around the city.

That's the funny thing about truly dangerous people. They tend to be really nice because they have nothing to prove. I have no doubt he'd utterly flatten someone in an altercation, even today.

DREAM 1 - 2nd in Pts

Post #6   5/9/13 5:43:27PM   

Svartorm

Hammer of the Gods

Svartorm Avatar

Chips:

Posted by SmileR

Whats your thoughts on Frazier? If its power ponchers you're watching today he's got to be in there. Check this video out. . .Smokin' Joe

He's probably one of the greatest ever, considering he dominated the heavyweight division during one of its peak times, and really would have been a Light Heavyweight by today's stardards. Everything he threw off his left side was a fucking laser. Only guy better in the pocket was Rocky Marciano.

DREAM 1 - 2nd in Pts

Post #7   5/9/13 5:50:08PM   

SmileR

SmileR Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Svartorm

Posted by SmileR

Posted by Svartorm

Ernie Shavers

Damn. . .

That's the funny thing about truly dangerous people. They tend to be really nice because they have nothing to prove. I have no doubt he'd utterly flatten someone in an altercation, even today.

I've got no doubt! The guy had the biggest hands I've ever seen! He completely engulfed my hand and I've got pretty big hands!
I was talking to him at an event in Aintree racecourse once an he met an english rugby player called Lawrence Dallaglio who is a 250lb monster and his hands where noticeably bigger then his.
He's such a cool guy and didn't think anything about spending 45/50 minutes just chatting to me.
He said the heaviest hitters he's ever heard of were Forman, Tyson and Bruno. He was shocked Bruno was scared of Tyson when they fought and from his tone he sounded a little disappointed with him. He also said he wasn't that impressed with Lewis but did say he was the last great HW.
He really is such a cool guy, I'm a big fan.

Post #8   5/9/13 6:30:39PM   

SmileR

SmileR Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Svartorm

Posted by SmileR

He's probably one of the greatest ever, considering he dominated the heavyweight division during one of its peak times, and really would have been a Light Heavyweight by today's stardards. Everything he threw off his left side was a fucking laser. Only guy better in the pocket was Rocky Marciano.

Marciano was a terror in close and a absolute savage in the ring. There hasn't been a guy like him since. Have you ever seen Eubank vs Benn? Thats one of my favourite fights ever.

Post #9   5/9/13 6:38:38PM   

jakewalters

BJ PENN FOREVER

jakewalters Avatar

Career:804-509
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
I love this one. The title says it all

LINK - Mike Tyson kills Marvis Frazier

Post #10   5/9/13 11:30:44PM   

papercut

Hulk Status

papercut Avatar

Career:1,290-1,016
Camp: The Original Gangsters
Chips:

Ali

Post #11   5/9/13 11:49:47PM   

Svartorm

Hammer of the Gods

Svartorm Avatar

Chips:

Posted by SmileR

I've got no doubt! The guy had the biggest hands I've ever seen! He completely engulfed my hand and I've got pretty big hands!
I was talking to him at an event in Aintree racecourse once an he met an english rugby player called Lawrence Dallaglio who is a 250lb monster and his hands where noticeably bigger then his.

Hand size has a lot to do with KO power, so I certainly believe it. I don't know if you've ever been to the Boxing Hall of Fame in Canastota, NY, but anytime someone is inducted, they cast their fists in plaster and make bronze models. They have Primo Carnera's hand, and it looks like a 20lb sledge hammer. Check this shit out:

DREAM 1 - 2nd in Pts

Post #12   5/10/13 12:06:15AM   

Playground_Samurai

I EAT POOP

Playground_Samurai Avatar

Career:2,359-1,249
Camp: Hand Grenade Hillbillies
Chips:

Posted by Svartorm

Last edited 5/10/13 12:56AM server time by Playground_Samurai
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #13   5/10/13 12:55:32AM   

jakewalters

BJ PENN FOREVER

jakewalters Avatar

Career:804-509
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by Svartorm

Posted by SmileR

Hand size has a lot to do with KO power, so I certainly believe it. I don't know if you've ever been to the Boxing Hall of Fame in Canastota, NY, but anytime someone is inducted, they cast their fists in plaster and make bronze models. They have Primo Carnera's hand, and it looks like a 20lb sledge hammer. Check this shit out:

WOW! The Ambling Alp!!

That's wild man.

Post #14   5/10/13 1:05:53AM   

SmileR

SmileR Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Svartorm

Posted by SmileR

I haven't been yet but its on my bucket list for sure. Those hands almost look fake, I can't imagine what getting hit by that would feel like. Have you ever watched a documentary on Carnera I can't remember its name but I'll find out and post it. His career was facinating and he's refaired to as boxings Sinatra throughout.

Post #15   5/10/13 6:03:06AM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2