Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Quebec commission declines to hear Alessio Sakara's UFC 154 appeal request

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

FastKnockout

$ Impin' Ain't Easy $

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:1,762-985
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Patrick Cote's controversial UFC 154 disqualification victory over Alessio Sakara will stand.

On Friday, Quebec's La Regie des alcools des courses et des jeux (the baord that governs combat sports in the province) declined to hear Sakara's protest that referee Dan Miragliotta mishandled the bout, which took place Nov. 17 at Montreal's Bell Centre.

French-language outlet LaPress.ca was the first to report the board's decision.

Link

Post #1   11/25/12 4:43:12PM   

isk

In Full Mount

isk Avatar

Career:-
Chips:
Absolutely agreed with Sakara's camp. The match should be a No Contest, with a rematch lined up as soon as both guys are healthy and available. We'd probably resolve some unfinished business, as I seriously doubt we'd see a trilogy of weirdness similar to Santos/Prindle.

Post #2   11/25/12 5:03:24PM   

george112

The Playground OG

george112 Avatar

Career:1,232-801
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
Oh well. It wouldn't have changed anything had they looked at it. He still broke the rules. Not sure what he was trying to accomplish with the appeal.

Post #3   11/25/12 5:04:26PM   

jae_1833

TTTHS

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:2,600-1,654
Chips:
I think they would have stood by the call because they already discussed it with the ref when it happened so they saw it as pointless......we will still get a rematch I am sure.

Post #4   11/25/12 6:34:11PM   

frizzzlecake

MMA Sensei

frizzzlecake Avatar

Career:493-296
Chips:

Posted by george112

Oh well. It wouldn't have changed anything had they looked at it. He still broke the rules. Not sure what he was trying to accomplish with the appeal.

To take a unjust loss off his record. Dan shit the bed clearly, he didn't open his mouth once saying any of the strikes were bad, but then goes and say's he's DQd?

I remember when Shane Crawin Mauled Mir's back of the head, and Dan was there and if I remember right was telling Shane to watch the back of the head.

Sakara shouldn't be penalized for a ref's inconstant behavior.

It's like the NFL overturn's someone's victory because a ref clearly missed a blown call.

just how i feel about it.

Post #5   11/25/12 7:14:42PM   

george112

The Playground OG

george112 Avatar

Career:1,232-801
Chips:
Yeah the ref messed up but sakara knows the rules. He should get a loss off his record because he had a brain fart?

The rules don't say you can punch a guy in the back of the head until the ref says stop.

That's my take on it

I get what your saying about the NFL but in the NFL or any other sport where something gets overturned, either the player or the ref fucked up. In the sakara fight BOTH the ref AND the fighter fucked up.

Last edited 11/25/12 7:31PM server time by george112
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #6   11/25/12 7:25:05PM   

telnights

MODesty

telnights Avatar

Career:1,376-760
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
I will say the same thing I said in the last topic about this.

Sakara broke the rules its that simple. He knows the rules its not like he wasn't informed on them many times. Cote was unable to continue due to those illegal strikes so it is a DQ. Now Dan Miragliotta I feel is one of the worst refs in MMA and him not giving Alessio a warning was a mistake but it doesn't change the fact the fight was ended due to many illegal strikes.

I still feel it was the right call. If a fight ends due to a clearly illegal strike/s it should always be a DQ.

Post #7   11/25/12 9:04:05PM   

Samps

MMA Regular

Samps Avatar

Career:610-346
Chips:
Jones/Hamill. Forgot who the ref was, but there was no warning given to Jones. They stopped the bout and officially ended it once it was clear Hamill could not continue. This is the same situation, where there was no warning and the fight continued, it was just that the fight was ended due to illegal shots. And I feel that this fight will be just like the Jones/Hamill fight, no true fan will say Cote BEAT Sakara, just like how Hamill didn't BEAT Jones, they simply have wins over them.

Post #8   11/26/12 12:16:12AM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Career:1,120-670
Chips:
what about Erick Silva vs Carlo Prater? Same thing. A fight stopped due to illegal strikes is a DQ

Last edited 11/26/12 12:38AM server time by bubbles

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #9   11/26/12 12:37:47AM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,787-1,542
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Jones/Hamill was different. There were illegal strikes. The fighter couldn't continue. BUT, his inability to continue had nothing to do with the illegal strikes. Chalk that one up to a ref that screwed up big time.

Cote/Sakara was appropriately called a DQ. For those that think it should've been a NC, that's just not how the rules were written. If a ref determines the strikes to be intentional, he MUST disqualify the offender. I'll just quote myself from another thread:

The most important part of that is, of course, "intentional". While Sakara may or may not have intentionally cheated, he did "intend" to throw the strikes where they landed...which was in a foul zone. There is no arguing that. I think people have a hard time differentiating between the two. Forgetting the rules or having a brain-fart doesn't save you from committing an "intentional foul".

You DO NOT have to give a fighter a warning in order to produce a DQ. This seems to be the line of thinking that is tripping many people up. The only time that comes into play is if a point is taken and then the offender commits the same foul again. In that situation, whether the foul was intentional or not, if the other fighter is unable to continue, then the ref is forced to call a DQ.

Last edited 11/26/12 12:12PM server time by grappler0000
2 total post edits

Post #10   11/26/12 12:06:08PM   

BuffaloDave

Heavyweight Champ

BuffaloDave Avatar

Career:909-516
Chips:
While I don't think that Sakara should win any appeal, I think the Quebec commission shows a little bias, by not letting Sakara plead his case.

At least let him and his team explain themselves, in turn the commission can do the same, about there decision to call it a DQ.

Post #11   11/26/12 12:48:00PM   

BillsNewAccount

STACKING THEM BADGES

BillsNewAccount Avatar

Career:1,529-891
Chips:
Should have been a DQ. They gave the win to Hamil because a def guy looked ready to cry and if you don't agree with that decision you have no heart and are a monster.

Post #12   11/26/12 12:58:05PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,533-897
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
I wonder how the appeal was worded.

Here are my thoughts:

1) There is absolutely no doubt that the shots were illegal. If they even mentioned that they weren't in the appeal then I'm not surprised they wouldn't hear it.

2) The ref is not OBLIGATED to give a warning prior to a DQ. If an intentional illegal strike ends the fight, it's a DQ.

3) I don't think those shots were intentionally aimed at the back of the head. This fight should have been a No Contest. If an accidental illegal strike ends the fight, it is supposed to be a NC.

I think they should have heard the appeal based on point three.

Post #13   11/26/12 1:17:44PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,533-897
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by BillsNewAccount

Should have been a DQ. They gave the win to Hamil because a def guy looked ready to cry and if you don't agree with that decision you have no heart and are a monster.

Is this serious or were you trolling?? If you were trolling you definitely got me worked up.

Do you think Matt Hamill would want to be treated differently because he's deaf? I don't.

The downward elbows were illegal, yes, but they shouldn't be. I can dislike the rule that lead to the decision.

Matt Hammill is a professional fighter and ground and pound is part of the game. If he didn't want to get punched or elbowed I don't think he would be in the UFC. He's tougher than you're giving him credit for.

Post #14   11/26/12 1:20:41PM   

BuffaloDave

Heavyweight Champ

BuffaloDave Avatar

Career:909-516
Chips:

Posted by bjj1605

3) I don't think those shots were intentionally aimed at the back of the head. This fight should have been a No Contest. If an accidental illegal strike ends the fight, it is supposed to be a NC.

I think they should have heard the appeal based on point three.

I agree, and have said since it happened they weren't intentional, but you said it, . "If an accidental illegal strike ends the fight, it is supposed to be a NC", problem is it wasn't a strike, it was strikes, that's why I feel a DQ was fine here.

Post #15   11/26/12 1:24:02PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2