Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Dan Henderson: Nothing personal against Chael Sonnen, but title shot degrades sport

Print  
Posted By Message

prophecy033

REBEL WITH A CAUSE

prophecy033 Avatar

Career:2,146-1,245
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Dan Henderson has a way of saying a lot in about 140 characters.

On Wednesday the top contender saw Chael Sonnen get a title fight and "The Ultimate Fighter 17" coaching slot with light-heavyweight champion Jon Jones, and Henderson openly wondered if he should focus more on trash-talk than exciting fights.

Earlier today, he followed up that message and said he has nothing personal against Sonnen but that his title shot "degrades" the sport

Link

Post #1   10/18/12 11:01:10AM   

george112

The Playground OG

george112 Avatar

Career:1,321-858
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
Dan is right. Makes the whole contender process null.

It's clear the UFC just wants to bank and try to pump some life back into TUF. Personally I still won't watch. I'll watch the fight though but be frustrated watching it knowing its going to be even longer before Jones defends the belt against someone relevant.

Nothing against Sonnen but he's gonna find out real quick he can't hang

Post #2   10/18/12 11:04:51AM   

prophecy033

REBEL WITH A CAUSE

prophecy033 Avatar

Career:2,146-1,245
Chips:

Posted by george112

Dan is right. Makes the whole contender process null.

It's clear the UFC just wants to bank and try to pump some life back into TUF. Personally I still won't watch. I'll watch the fight though but be frustrated watching it knowing its going to be even longer before Jones defends the belt against someone relevant.

Nothing against Sonnen but he's gonna find out real quick he can't hang

I'd rather watch TUF than the fight but that me

Post #3   10/18/12 11:14:01AM   

tcunningham

Combat Sport and Fitness

tcunningham Avatar

Career:540-380
Chips:
i think he is right IF they werent going to coach TUF. plus, i think the fans need some new faces for jones to fight. the vitor fight was awesome and i'm just glad he's not fighting rashad again

Post #4   10/18/12 11:42:26AM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:746-420
Chips:

Posted by tcunningham

i think he is right IF they werent going to coach TUF. plus, i think the fans need some new faces for jones to fight. the vitor fight was awesome and i'm just glad he's not fighting rashad again

Well what about Dan hes a new face for Jones. He has the resume at 205. Chael hasn't even fought 205 in how long? To be Honest I think this is Dana's way of making fighters think twice before dropping out due to injury.

Last edited 10/18/12 12:18PM server time by postman
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #5   10/18/12 12:16:01PM   

Dberntson

In Full Mount

Dberntson Avatar

Career:1,133-655
Camp: Burlingtonians Only
Chips:

Posted by postman

Posted by tcunningham

Well what about Dan hes a new face for Jones. He has the resume at 205. Chael hasn't even fought 205 in how long? To be Honest I think this is Dana's way of making fighters think twice before dropping out due to injury.

Exactly. I'd prop you if I could, but the site wont let me.

I'd understand if Hendo got passed over to a new, legitimate contender due to his injury, but giving a title shot to someone coming off a one sided loss is a lower weight division, who hasnt fought at 205 since 2005, is embarrassing and bull sh*t.

Post #6   10/18/12 12:44:01PM   

BuffaloDave

Heavyweight Champ

BuffaloDave Avatar

Career:947-534
Chips:

Posted by postman

Posted by tcunningham

C'mon Uncle Dana justified it by saying it's because Chael stepped up to fight Jones!!

Post #7   10/18/12 1:08:57PM   

Chael_Sonnen

Follow.The.Buzzards

Chael_Sonnen Avatar

Career:1,277-785
Chips:
Fighters not stepping up and "fighting" when called upon by Uncle Dana DEGRADES the sport......Hey Dan, simmer down and focus on rehabbing your injury.

Last edited 10/18/12 2:13PM server time by chael_sonnen

Post #8   10/18/12 2:12:49PM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:746-420
Chips:

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

Fighters not stepping up and "fighting" when called upon by Uncle Dana DEGRADES the sport......Hey Dan, simmer down and focus on rehabbing your injury.

Oh I disagree. 15 PPV a year and fighters getting title shots in a weight class they have not fought in years is far more offensive then not taking a fight on short notice. Dans injured Jons Injured clearly the only logical play is for them to get better and fight. This has everything to do with that crap TV show they put on the air, and the trash talking Chael will bring. I wonder if Chael will attack black america like he attacked the entire nation of Brazil..........That should go over well.

Post #9   10/18/12 3:11:24PM   

telnights

MODesty

telnights Avatar

Career:1,449-799
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
I agree with Dan. It's like letting Rashad Evans fight for the HW title just because he has fought at HW years ago.

Post #10   10/18/12 3:59:25PM   

Poor_Franklin

Slight Reach Advantage

Poor_Franklin Avatar

Career:1,715-978
Chips:
i wish it had been Dan & JJ, especially since the fight isnt until April, i'd assume dan would be ready to go by then.

also, since dan trains w/ chael, just make chael one of dan's coaches & let him run his mouth a lot. win/win for everyone & still sets up a possible Chael/JJ fight in the future if Chael earns it.

damn logic makes so much sense sometimes

Last edited 10/18/12 4:08PM server time by Poor_Franklin

Post #11   10/18/12 4:07:11PM   

kingsmasher

BANNED

Career:258-155
Chips:

Posted by postman

Posted by tcunningham

I think Dana is trying to make other fighters believe what you just said above but the real reason is just pay per view buys....Its all money...Lets be honest.....

Jones has other guys that really could be more relevant right now....Jones could fight the winner of Shogun and Gus....or even fight Glover.....Gus and Glover deserve a title shot before Chael.....I mean they have won fights at LHW already...

Chael should fight Bader....I think hed get KTFO...

Chael lacks punching power at 205....

Post #12   10/18/12 4:39:15PM   

Lucas

MMA Regular

Lucas Avatar

Career:1,562-923
Chips:
Of course sonnen stepped up at short notice that's the only way he would ever get a shot at the lhw title.

Post #13   10/18/12 5:32:46PM   

UFC_Fanatic

Belt Contender

UFC_Fanatic Avatar

Career:1,587-973
Camp: Playground Bullies
Chips:

Posted by Poor_Franklin

i wish it had been Dan & JJ, especially since the fight isnt until April, i'd assume dan would be ready to go by then.

also, since dan trains w/ chael, just make chael one of dan's coaches & let him run his mouth a lot. win/win for everyone & still sets up a possible Chael/JJ fight in the future if Chael earns it.

damn logic makes so much sense sometimes

Agreed. Not to mention Dan isn't getting any younger. Hendo vs Jones is a match that a lot of us die hards really want to see, and as old as Dan is we don't really have a lot of time before it is no longer an option. If Hendo loses to Machida it may put him far enough back in the contender hunt that we will never get to see that fight, and it would be a damn shame because of how much it would add to the legacy of both jones and Hendo. Hendo gets one last big win in a title fight to add to his resume as a future Hall of Famer if he wins, and if Jones wins it really cements his legacy as one of the greatest LHWs of all time with 2 wins over 2 legends of the sport in Belfort and Hendo.

Post #14   10/18/12 5:39:56PM   

Franklinfan47

Simply The Best

Franklinfan47 Avatar

Career:2,693-1,472
Chips:
Dan Hendo speakin the truth .

Whole situation is some grade A bullshit imo.

Sorry Chael!

Post #15   10/18/12 7:46:35PM