Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

UFC LHW Champ Jon Jones Apologises And Accepts Full Responsibility For UFC 151 Cancellation

Print  
  Page 1 of 4     1     2     3     4  
Posted By Message

MMAcca

Heavyweight Champ

MMAcca Avatar

Career:1,980-1,143
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Two days after the atomic bomb was dropped on MMA fans with UFC 151 going down the tubes, UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones has taken to Twitter to address his role in the event being canceled. As you absolutely have to know by now, Jones' original opponent Dan Henderson pulled out due to injury, and Jones refused a short-notice title fight with Chael Sonnen, causing Dana White to go on a tirade towards Jones and Greg Jackson. Jones apologized and accepted full responsibility for the UFC canceling a card for the first time ever.

LINk

Last edited 8/25/12 4:51PM server time by MMAcca
Edit note/reason: n/a
2 total post edits

Post #1   8/25/12 4:49:03PM   

MMAcca

Heavyweight Champ

MMAcca Avatar

Career:1,980-1,143
Chips:
The tweets:

Carrying the cross for my company's decision. If someone has to take the blame, I will accept full responsibility for the way UFC 151
— Jon Bones Jones (@JonnyBones) August 25, 2012

was canceled. I want to sincerely apologize to all the other athletes/fans who's time and money was waisted.

I feel terrible about the way that was handled.

Post #2   8/25/12 4:50:19PM   

Shawn91111

The MMAPlayground's Co-Creator

Shawn91111 Avatar

Career:2,850-1,476
Chips:
If anyone its the UFC's fault

Post #3   8/25/12 4:52:24PM   

george112

The Playground OG

george112 Avatar

Career:1,284-838
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
UFCs fault for cancelling

Jones fault for not saving

Post #4   8/25/12 5:09:01PM   

tuvok500

GSP will Comeback JUMP !!!

tuvok500 Avatar

Career:2,059-1,060
Camp: Canadian Power Team
Chips:

Posted by Shawn91111

what ?? in the pass the main event fighter that was not hurt always accepted to fight a new guy on short notice, they may had some trouble to find a replacement but they always found a relatively good replacement and the main event was saved, sometimes the co- main event was promoted if for example it was the champ that was injured and of course the title fight was out of question.

But here the fully healthy Jones refused basically to fight anybody on 8 days notice like if he didn't has a full camp, wasn't fully prepare for a 5 rds fight or wasn't the guy holding the belt !!!

Some card are more packed than other, it always been like that, it depend on many factors, so this card was no exception, the only exception was Jones's attitude.
You can't always have a co-main event that would give you an acceptable PPV in a case of main event cancelled, shit happen.

Post #5   8/25/12 5:20:43PM   

telnights

MODesty

telnights Avatar

Career:1,436-789
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
1. Did the UFC even ask anyone else other than a Sonnen? If so who did they ask and what did they say?
Sure doesn't seam like Zuffa did. If Zuffa did offer the fight to a bunch of real LHWs aren't they just as guilty as Jones by some peoples logic.

2. On what planet is Sonnen deserving of a shot at the LHW belt? Who has he beat at LHW?
If they didn't ask every top 10 LHW in the UFC before asking Sonnen then Zuffa is just making a joke out of the rankings and the hole earning a title shot system. Say the fight did happen and Sonnen was beat down what is he going to do now talk trash about HW champ and get a shot at that belt to or hell why not WW.

3. Why would the UFC cancel a hole event after one fight being canceled?
They feel the under card was so weak that it wasn't worth putting on. The UFC should have made a better under card.

Post #6   8/25/12 7:37:21PM   

Shawn91111

The MMAPlayground's Co-Creator

Shawn91111 Avatar

Career:2,850-1,476
Chips:

Posted by tuvok500

Posted by Shawn91111

what ?? in the pass the main event fighter that was not hurt always accepted to fight a new guy on short notice, they may had some trouble to find a replacement but they always found a relatively good replacement and the main event was saved, sometimes the co- main event was promoted if for example it was the champ that was injured and of course the title fight was out of question.

But here the fully healthy Jones refused basically to fight anybody on 8 days notice like if he didn't has a full camp, wasn't fully prepare for a 5 rds fight or wasn't the guy holding the belt !!!

Some card are more packed than other, it always been like that, it depend on many factors, so this card was no exception, the only exception was Jones's attitude.
You can't always have a co-main event that would give you an acceptable PPV in a case of main event cancelled, shit happen.

I said if anyone. Jones has a right to refuse a fight whether you agree with it or not. Its the UFC's fault they stretched the card so thin that they couldn't move fights around which has happened in the past. Of course Jones should shoulder some of the blame.

Post #7   8/25/12 8:07:10PM   

george112

The Playground OG

george112 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by telnights

1. Did the UFC even ask anyone else other than a Sonnen? If so who did they ask and what did they say?
Sure doesn't seam like Zuffa did. If Zuffa did offer the fight to a bunch of real LHWs aren't they just as guilty as Jones by some peoples logic.

2. On what planet is Sonnen deserving of a shot at the LHW belt? Who has he beat at LHW?
If they didn't ask every top 10 LHW in the UFC before asking Sonnen then Zuffa is just making a joke out of the rankings and the hole earning a title shot system. Say the fight did happen and Sonnen was beat down what is he going to do now talk trash about HW champ and get a shot at that belt to or hell why not WW.

3. Why would the UFC cancel a hole event after one fight being canceled?
They feel the under card was so weak that it wasn't worth putting on. The UFC should have made a better under card.

There has been plenty of situations where title shots were definitely questionable.

It just so happened in this situation that Sonnen already had beef with Jones from previous social media encounters. Making it a FAN fueled fight. Fans wanted to see that fight . Plain and simple imo.

As for cancelling the event its already been said . The rest of the card was weak. UFCs fault.

Post #8   8/25/12 8:25:24PM   

JLS1980

Heavyweight Champ

JLS1980 Avatar

Career:1,418-743
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Jon Jones couldn't fight at UFC 151 because he didn't have a ride.

Last edited 8/25/12 8:46PM server time by JLS1980
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #9   8/25/12 8:45:35PM   

jlock003

Standup Guy

jlock003 Avatar

Career:558-406
Camp: MAYHEM MONKEYS!!!!!!
Chips:
I don't know if the guy is sincere or not and it's not my place to judge, but props to Jones for making the statement. It at least l who looks like he cares about the guys who are in the same kind of position he was in two years ago. Now where is that dead horse everybody always posts???

Post #10   8/25/12 8:47:38PM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:746-420
Chips:

Posted by george112

SWaving the event would have been going above and beyond. I can't stand Jones but I have no problem with him not taking the fight. I think he would win rather easy and with talks of Chael moving up a larger payday would be a fight down the road with the weeks of build up infront of it.

Post #11   8/25/12 9:22:35PM   

george112

The Playground OG

george112 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by postman

Posted by george112

SWaving the event would have been going above and beyond. I can't stand Jones but I have no problem with him not taking the fight. I think he would win rather easy and with talks of Chael moving up a larger payday would be a fight down the road with the weeks of build up infront of it.

There really is no legitimate reason to turn down the fight. Of course it would be a bigger payday down the road but Jones makes plenty of money. More so then the majority of the UFC roster. For the sake of the other fighters and the fans I personally would have taken the fight just for those reasons alone. I would take a little bit less money (would have been a big payday regardless) and be made out to be the good guy. Seems like all of his motivation seems to be for money so idk it just doesn't make sense to not want to look good. To not want to be the good guy.

He's trying to be the good guy right now with this apology but unfortunately for him its a little too late for that.

So yes he succeeded in preserving his possibility for a huge payday fight with Sonnen

Post #12   8/25/12 9:31:21PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,606-1,380
Chips:
Too late dude. You should have apologized thur
We all know Greg Jackson is making you say this to make more fans

Post #13   8/25/12 9:42:00PM   

aussiemma

Soup is not a meal

aussiemma Avatar

Career:741-409
Chips:
jon jones is carrying the cross for us all...all hail the second coming, i knew he was the one.

Post #14   8/25/12 10:08:27PM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:746-420
Chips:

Posted by george112

Posted by postman

Posted by george112

There really is no legitimate reason to turn down the fight. Of course it would be a bigger payday down the road but Jones makes plenty of money. More so then the majority of the UFC roster. For the sake of the other fighters and the fans I personally would have taken the fight just for those reasons alone. I would take a little bit less money (would have been a big payday regardless) and be made out to be the good guy. Seems like all of his motivation seems to be for money so idk it just doesn't make sense to not want to look good. To not want to be the good guy.

He's trying to be the good guy right now with this apology but unfortunately for him its a little too late for that.

So yes he succeeded in preserving his possibility for a huge payday fight with Sonnen

I mean he has said many times he fights for the money. I think its foolish for any of us to expect him to do anything more then worry about that. We will see more and more of this as the sport grows, the money at stake is just too big. It would have been great for him to save the PPV and take the fight but the days of Matt Hughes working on the farm instead of preparing for his title fight in england are gone.

I too would have gained respect for him had he taken the fight but I can't say I lost anymore for him doing what he and his coach thought was the right thing to do.

Post #15   8/25/12 10:23:11PM   

Page 1 of 4     1     2     3     4