Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Cris Cyborg wants Ronda Rousey fight, requests 140-pound catchweight

Print  
  Page 1 of 4     1     2     3     4  
Posted By Message

lohmann

A Black Belt in Jiu-Jitsu

lohmann Avatar

Career:1,724-935
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Previously, Gina Carano and Cristiane Santos laid claim to the first ever women's super fight, for lack of a better term, when the two tangled way back in Aug. 2009 at Strikeforce: "Carano vs. Cyborg."

To that end, there aren't too many bouts that many would consider a "dream fight" or "super fight." There is, however, one that many would label as such: A match up between current Strikeforce Bantamweight champion Ronda Rousey and the aforementioned former Strikeforce Featherweight title holder, Cris Cyborg.

For her part, "Cyborg" says she wants the bout with "Rowdy," however, she says she doesn't see the need for her to have to drop down to 135, but is more than willing to meet the Rousey in the middle at a catchweight of 140 pounds.

"I really wanna fight Ronda. I really want to. She says bad things about me. I never say bad things about my opponent. I want to do my best in the octagon, and if she says she wants to fight me, she can come to my weight or at 140. She started at 145. And she's running to 135. She's running to not fight me. And after, she speaks a lot of shit about me. I want to fight her soon. I'm very excited to fight her. And when we're in the octagon, we'll see if she says anything. And if she says anything, I can punch her."

Cyborg" went to not say that unlike most female fighters, the way she fights and trains is nothing like her colleagues, which is what separates her from the competition:

"I'm a women but I want to fight the same as a man. I like training hard, I like to punch the face. I like getting punched in the face. I fight the same as a man. I train the same as a man. I think this is different from other girls."

link

Post #1   8/13/12 11:19:23PM   

FlashyG

Heavyweight Champ

FlashyG Avatar

Career:2,477-1,379
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
It would be a hell of a fight, but where does the division go after it?

I think thats a good example of how shallow the talent pool is for Women's MMA right now. They need some new stars badly.

Post #2   8/13/12 11:25:01PM   

telnights

MODesty

telnights Avatar

Career:1,449-799
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
She still is under suspension and will be for another 3 months. The fact that she thinks it is Rousey responsibility to move up is crazy. Last I check Rousey is a champ at 135 and Cyborg isn't a champ at all. If she really wants to fight Rousey then dump some of the muscle mass she has (From the roids) and make 135.

Post #3   8/13/12 11:42:07PM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Career:534-389
Chips:

Posted by telnights

She still is under suspension and will be for another 3 months. The fact that she thinks it is Rousey responsibility to move up is crazy. Last I check Rousey is a champ at 135 and Cyborg isn't a champ at all. If she really wants to fight Rousey then dump some of the muscle mass she has (From the roids) and make 135.

If this were a male fighter, would we be saying the same thing? It is absolutely on Rousey. She's the one who switched divisions. She's the one taking shots at everyone and their mom and Rousey hasn't even accomplished one-third of what Cyborg has accomplished.

If Rousey is going to let another figher's name come out of her mouth when the first fighter has done nothing to provoke it, then her ass should be prepared to cash the check her mouth wrote.

When did this stop being the general rule of thumb? You talk shit, you back it up. Always been that way for me.

Post #4   8/14/12 3:17:13AM   

Adrenaline

MMA Sensei

Adrenaline Avatar

Career:-
Chips:

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

You talk shit, you back it up. Always been that way for me.

If she is lucky she won't have to back it up because Cyborg would wreck her at any weight.

Post #5   8/14/12 5:27:21AM   

sparky

AV BET Record: 42-10

sparky Avatar

Career:2,957-1,617
Camp: Team Fry Guy
Chips:
I say if Cyborg wants a shot at Ronda she should consider dropping down just because there isn't enough women at 145 and if she drops to 135 the fight could be for a belt seems like a bigger win in my eyes.

Last edited 8/14/12 7:06AM server time by sparky
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #6   8/14/12 7:03:48AM   

SmileR

Buy the ticket, take the ride

SmileR Avatar

Career:1,284-761
Chips:

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Posted by telnights

If this were a male fighter, would we be saying the same thing? It is absolutely on Rousey. She's the one who switched divisions. She's the one taking shots at everyone and their mom and Rousey hasn't even accomplished one-third of what Cyborg has accomplished.

If Rousey is going to let another figher's name come out of her mouth when the first fighter has done nothing to provoke it, then her ass should be prepared to cash the check her mouth wrote.

When did this stop being the general rule of thumb? You talk shit, you back it up. Always been that way for me.

I wildly disagree with you, dude. Ronda has got a mouth on her for sure but she was asked about her thoughts on Cyborg. She's got every right to call her a cheat and say what she said.
I could see your point if she said something like "She's a bitch and I hate her for personal reasons" but she spoke the truth and called her on the roids.

telnights makes some good points, Ronda is the champ at 135, she holds the belt there and can fight anyone at that weight that is deemed good enough to fight her. Cyborg fought at 145 so if she wants to fight her so bad she should cut the weight she illegally gained and drop to 135. She's got nothing to do for the next 3 months, she's the one that now has to prove she can be as dominant without the roids and she's the one that isn't tied in by a title.

I agree with you when you say Ronda should back up what she says, but jumping up to a catch weight for a fight with a much bigger woman, that has nothing to do with her belt because she said it was common knowledge that she was on roids is a bit of a ask!

Ronda has pretty much backed up everything she has said when it comes to everyone in her devision so why not give her opinion when arguably the most famous fighter in her sport is found cheating?
I don't like Ronda one bit but she sure as hell does back up what she says and she's proved it time and time again. If Cyborg has got a problem with her let her dump the roid muscle and fight her at her weight.

I was born to lead, not to read!!!!

Post #7   8/14/12 8:47:02AM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Chips:

Posted by SmileR

I wildly disagree with you, dude. Ronda has got a mouth on her for sure but she was asked about her thoughts on Cyborg. She's got every right to call her a cheat and say what she said.
I could see your point if she said something like "She's a bitch and I hate her for personal reasons" but she spoke the truth and called her on the roids.

You mean like questioning her gender and telling her that she has a penis? No, I'm sorry. Ronda does not have the "right" to say that about another female and I will never agree that she does.

Post #8   8/14/12 11:52:44AM   

gartface

Heavyweight Champ

gartface Avatar

Career:1,406-898
Camp: Hand Grenade Hillbillies
Chips:

Posted by telnights

This all day, all long. Rousey is the champ and Cyborg isn't.

Post #9   8/14/12 11:58:36AM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Chips:

Posted by gartface

Posted by telnights

This all day, all long. Rousey is the champ and Cyborg isn't.

What does being the champ have anything to do with it. Cyborg is asking for a catchweight fight, would you prefer she do what the men do, take the fight at 135, weigh in at 140, and say fuck it?

Post #10   8/14/12 11:59:53AM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Chips:
Using the argument, "Ronda is the champ" holds no weight here and is completely illogical. Unless Ronda was the champ of the 140 catchweight, she is not the champ because Cyborg isn't asking for a title fight.

Post #11   8/14/12 12:02:06PM   

FlashyG

Heavyweight Champ

FlashyG Avatar

Chips:

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

All Rousey originally said was this "I don't think this has thrown a monkey wrench into the credibility of women's MMA. I think it threw a monkey wrench into the credibility of Chris Cyborg, and I think you have to rethink all of her wins before, over Gina Carano, Marloes Coenen, and all these girls. You know, it's not like she beat them on technique, and if she wasn't doping, she wouldn't have won any of those fights. I think it adds to the credibility of those other girls who actually fought with technique and integrity. They weren't being crushed by this chick. She was using, and you know what, if they were using too, it would have been a different ball game. I think women's MMA is better in general with her gone."

Which is 100% true and nothing close to a call out for a fight. Santos then posted this photoshop
and claimed "next victim Rousey, No Mercy" in portugese.

THAT is a call-out, and what prompted the jokes about her gender, they weren't unprovoked.

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

What does being the champ have anything to do with it. Cyborg is asking for a catchweight fight, would you prefer she do what the men do, take the fight at 135, weigh in at 140, and say fuck it?

No she should take the fight at 135 and make the weight or not call out a champ at all. She's the one calling for the fight but she wants it on her terms too?

Rousey's comments on many things have rubbed me the wrong way but I don't fault her one bit for the this.

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Using the argument, "Ronda is the champ" holds no weight here and is completely illogical. Unless Ronda was the champ of the 140 catchweight, she is not the champ because Cyborg isn't asking for a title fight.

Why would a champion of a division take a catch-weight bout against a discredited fighter at a weight that would give the discredited fighter an advantage.

If you're calling someone out, you move to their weight, or you shouldn't have called them out at all.

Last edited 8/14/12 12:23PM server time by FlashyG

Post #12   8/14/12 12:20:52PM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Chips:

Posted by FlashyG

All Rousey originally said was this "I don't think this has thrown a monkey wrench into the credibility of women's MMA. I think it threw a monkey wrench into the credibility of Chris Cyborg, and I think you have to rethink all of her wins before, over Gina Carano, Marloes Coenen, and all these girls. You know, it's not like she beat them on technique, and if she wasn't doping, she wouldn't have won any of those fights. I think it adds to the credibility of those other girls who actually fought with technique and integrity. They weren't being crushed by this chick. She was using, and you know what, if they were using too, it would have been a different ball game. I think women's MMA is better in general with her gone."

Which is 100% true and nothing close to a call out for a fight. Santos then posted this photoshop
and claimed "next victim Rousey, No Mercy" in portugese.

THAT is a call-out, and what prompted the jokes about her gender, they weren't unprovoked.

No she should take the fight at 135 and make the weight or not call out a champ at all. She's the one calling for the fight but she wants it on her terms too?

Rousey's comments on many things have rubbed me the wrong way but I don't fault her one bit for the this.

Why would a champion of a division take a catch-weight bout against a discredited fighter at a weight that would give the discredited fighter an advantage.

If you're calling someone out, you move to their weight, or you shouldn't have called them out at all.

Really, so you think it's acceptable to say that Cyborg didn't win her fight because of her skill, it was all because of roids? That's a complete joke. I'm tired of the double standards that men give to other men and then to women. Absolutely nobody on this thread would tolerate another male fighter saying that Overeem only won because he cheated.

And if a male fighter did say Overeem only won because he cheated, you'd tell that guy to step up and face Overeem. But because the "ugly" girl is calling out the "hot" girl, you all act like Cyborg is some evil villain for calling out the "champ."

Please, Ronda's had that belt for two seconds and y'all are treating her like she's Anderson Silva.

You guys can argue this all day long, but the simple fact of the matter is that the men on this thread have held Cyborg to a different standard than they hold other men. For that matter, the same stuff that most men claim to hate from male fighters, they find "cool" about Rousey because she's a "hot" woman.

Cyborg has taken an absolute lambasting from the public over this and I'm fine with that. But when other females are saying that she has a cock and didn't win any of her fights on skill, but rather because she cheated, that's unacceptable. I'm sorry you guys can't see how differently Cyborg has been treated compared ot her male counterparts.

I think it's disgusting and it makes me question the values of some of the members insisting otherwise.

Last edited 8/14/12 12:34PM server time by blueskiesburn
2 total post edits

Post #13   8/14/12 12:31:16PM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Chips:
Keep in mind, this is coming from someone who roasted PED users. Cyborg has definitely been treated unfairly and it has been because of her gender. I think it's disgusting. It's like watching a bunch of guy high five their friends for fucking 4 chicks in one day, but the girls who participated are sluts. It's a ridiculous double standard.

Post #14   8/14/12 12:38:24PM   

FlashyG

Heavyweight Champ

FlashyG Avatar

Chips:

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Really, so you think it's acceptable to say that Cyborg didn't win her fight because of her skill, it was all because of roids? That's a complete joke. I'm tired of the double standards that men give to other men and then to women. Absolutely nobody on this thread would tolerate another male fighter saying that Overeem only won because he cheated.

Maybe Ronda went too far saying Cyborg didn't win on skill but who knows how much her cheating aided her in those wins. The fact that her physique is much larger than any other woman in the weight class gives enough reason to suspect her of cheating long before she was actually caught. This is also the same argument used against Overeem so don't go trying to spin this into a gender thing

Overeem is criticized for his steroid use ALL the time. In fact it happens in almost 100% of discussions that involve him. It even happened long before he was ever caught for them so I'm not sure you have a leg to stand on there.

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn
And if a male fighter did say Overeem only won because he cheated, you'd tell that guy to step up and face Overeem. But because the "ugly" girl is calling out the "hot" girl, you all act like Cyborg is some evil villain for calling out the "champ."

That's a nice strawman argument in your first sentence, so I'll just skip past that and move on to the second.. I'm not even a Rousey fan, she's attractive yes, and a great fighter, but outside the cage she has an attitude that rubs me the wrong way.

Cyborg isn't the "evil villain" for calling out Rousey, she's gets that mantle because she's a cheater and she's lost the respect of many who follow the sport. Rousey may have lost that respect outside the cage, but at least when she fights she does so without doping to get an advantage.

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn
Please, Ronda's had that belt for two seconds and y'all are treating her like she's Anderson Silva.

Another strawman, who has compared her to anyone even close to Anderson. She has been called a champion because she is one.

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn
You guys can argue this all day long, but the simple fact of the matter is that the men on this thread have held Cyborg to a different standard than they hold other men. For that matter, the same stuff that most men claim to hate from male fighters, they find "cool" about Rousey because she's a "hot" woman.

That isn't a fact at all, its your opinion. (And now you're the one calling her a man. )

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn
Cyborg has taken an absolute lambasting from the public over this and I'm fine with that. But when other females are saying that she has a cock and didn't win any of her fights on skill, but rather because she cheated, that's unacceptable. I'm sorry you guys can't see how differently Cyborg has been treated compared ot her male counterparts.

I think it's disgusting and it makes me question the values of some of the members insisting otherwise.

Questioning her gender was wrong, but as I've said I don't care for Ronda outside the cage. She has a big mouth and often sticks her foot in it by trying to emulate Chael too much, but inside the cage she has the moral high ground over Santos since Santos has been caught as a cheater.

Its no different from the Men, when you get caught cheating all your wins up to that point become suspect and can rightfully be questioned. If she comes back and starts winning fights while clean she can earn the respect back but she's not being held to some new standard no matter how many strawmen you build to try and convince us.

Last edited 8/14/12 1:53PM server time by FlashyG

Post #15   8/14/12 1:15:29PM   

Page 1 of 4     1     2     3     4