Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Anderson Silva Out Until 2013

Print  
  Page 1 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

pmoney

P$ Pimpin'

pmoney Avatar

Career:1,491-903
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Just watched a little media scrum with Dana White, post UFC 150. He had some interesting stuff to say. The most interesting comment I found was when he said Anderson Silva will not fight again until 2013.

I put this in the UFC forum since I don't have a link, but the video is on YouTube. Anyhow, Dana said that after Sonnen-Silva II, Silva requested some time off. Apparently his grueling fucking schedule of fighting no more than twice a year is getting to him. I mean, I guess I should cut him some slack since his last fight almost went two whole rounds.

Anyone else pissed off to hear this? I respect Silva as one of the best of all time, but this is insane to me. He just came through the Sonnen fight in way better shape than last time. It's not like Middleweight is wanting for challengers. Weidman is primed and ready to go. But we know how Silva feels about that fight.

I want UFC champions to defend their belt with some regularity. I understand not everyone, especially champions, can fight three or more times a year. But I'd like to see one of them try. Especially the aging champ who is supposed to be the best ever, who already has declared he is not long for the fight game.

Post #1   8/12/12 5:46:37PM   

sparky

AV BET Record: 40-9

sparky Avatar

Career:2,736-1,506
Camp: Team Fry Guy
Chips:
I sure am P$ sounds like another excuse to not fight Weidman. Anderson wants to remain champ until atleast 2013 is the vibe I'm getting from all of this.

Last edited 8/12/12 5:54PM server time by sparky
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #2   8/12/12 5:52:51PM   

SpiderSilva

PFM

SpiderSilva Avatar

Career:1,808-1,136
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by sparky

I sure am P$ sounds like another excuse to not fight Weidman. Anderson wants to remain champ until atleast 2013 is the vibe I'm getting from all of this.

Man weidman ain't going to beat Silva. If the weidman that fought munoz showed up weidman would lose. He couldn't sub him. What makes you think he could Silva??? And if he stood with Silva like he did munoz ain't no fucking way he would land an elbow like he did.

If the weidman that fought maia fights Silva he'll lose faster.

This weidman hype train is worse than Sonnen's. At least Sonnen beat more than 1 top 10 guy to get to fight Silva. Not a rusty fighter coming off an injury.

He's been known to cure narcalepsy by just walking into a room. His orgin donation card list his beard. He is a lover not a fighter but he's also a fighter so don't get any idea's he is SpiderSilva I'm the baddest man alive

Post #3   8/12/12 6:26:00PM   

infestructure

NOW KITH

infestructure Avatar

Career:734-445
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Dana wants to keep his prize pony for a bit longer. I think he wants to let the division sort out a contender more clearly.

Post #4   8/12/12 6:37:56PM   

pmoney

P$ Pimpin'

pmoney Avatar

Chips:

Posted by SpiderSilva

Man weidman ain't going to beat Silva. If the weidman that fought munoz showed up weidman would lose. He couldn't sub him. What makes you think he could Silva??? And if he stood with Silva like he did munoz ain't no fucking way he would land an elbow like he did.

This weidman hype train is worse than Sonnen's. At least Sonnen beat more than 1 top 10 guy to get to fight Silva. Not a rusty fighter coming off an injury.

Spider, you are sounding more like Sonnen right now!

I love how everyone discounts Weidman's short-notice, huge weight cut involving win against one of the highest level BJJ blackbelts ever in the UFC. Maia is a world champion grappler so many times over it's redundant, and he got grapplefucked until his butt hurt. Silva sure can't say that he put on a similar performance. He stayed as far away as he could from Maia's wheelhouse.

Post #5   8/12/12 7:37:18PM   

telnights

MODesty

telnights Avatar

Career:1,361-755
Chips:

Posted by pmoney
Spider, you are sounding more like Sonnen right now!

I love how everyone discounts Weidman's short-notice, huge weight cut involving win against one of the highest level BJJ blackbelts ever in the UFC. Maia is a world champion grappler so many times over it's redundant, and he got grapplefucked until his butt hurt. Silva sure can't say that he put on a similar performance. He stayed as far away as he could from Maia's wheelhouse.

Weidman is a really good up and coming fighter but to think he is a real threat to Silva at this time is little crazy. I like Weidman and think one day he maybe the UFC MW champ, but I don't think he is ready for Silva.

I hate how people discount Silva's skill level. Weidman has only been fighting since 2009 and fought only 9 times his hole professional career. Only 2 of Wiedman's wins have been against top 10 MWs. Silva has been fighting top 10 fighters 2x longer than Weidman has even been fighting. Silva has fought top 10 MW weights 13x and 1 top 10 LHW that was a x-champ. Not only did he beat these fighters he destroyed almost everyone of them. I have never seen a fighter get beat the way he beat Forrest, he made him look like a child.

Now I'm not saying it doesn't suck if he is really taking time off but I be damned if the man hasn't earned it.

Last edited 8/12/12 8:19PM server time by telnights
2 total post edits

Post #6   8/12/12 8:18:19PM   

hymiekooken

MMA Regular

hymiekooken Avatar

Career:162-131
Chips:

Posted by infestructure

Dana wants to keep his prize pony for a bit longer. I think he wants to let the division sort out a contender more clearly.

Post #7   8/12/12 8:35:09PM   

DrivenDavies15

MMA Sensei

DrivenDavies15 Avatar

Career:1,394-794
Chips:
I don't think Weidman is ready yet imo. Boetsch v Weidman for number 1 contender makes the most sense to me. So by the time that happens 2013 sounds about right. It annoys me a little he is requesting some time off. It's not like he's been crazy busy like Jones. It's not like he slowing down either. That's just my opinion though.

Post #8   8/12/12 8:50:04PM   

pmoney

P$ Pimpin'

pmoney Avatar

Chips:

Posted by telnights

Weidman is a really good up and coming fighter but to think he is a real threat to Silva at this time is little crazy. I like Weidman and think one day he maybe the UFC MW champ, but I don't think he is ready for Silva.

I hate how people discount Silva's skill level. Weidman has only been fighting since 2009 and fought only 9 times his hole professional career. Only 2 of Wiedman's wins have been against top 10 MWs. Silva has been fighting top 10 fighters 2x longer than Weidman has even been fighting. Silva has fought top 10 MW weights 13x and 1 top 10 LHW that was a x-champ. Not only did he beat these fighters he destroyed almost everyone of them. I have never seen a fighter get beat the way he beat Forrest, he made him look like a child.

Now I'm not saying it doesn't suck if he is really taking time off but I be damned if the man hasn't earned it.

You have some good points brah! And I am definitely not discounting Silva's skill set, he's finished just about everyone he has faced. But he hasn't fought more than twice a year in lord knows how long, and I find that frustrating. Especially when, as you said, he destroys everyone.

As far as Weidman being a legit threat, I dont know how he can't be considered as such. He only has 9 fights, sure. But 5 of them have been in the UFC, and he has looked better with just about every outing while facing progressively tougher competition. I don't recall him ever being in any adverse position. And those are statements usually reserved for Jon Jones or Silva fights. Hell, I find Weidman's win over Munoz almost more impressive than Silva's win over Forrest. Weidman dominated everywhere. And that was the guy who was brought in to coach Silva in wrestling.

I could see Weidman taking Chael's gameplan and finishing the job. I can also see Silva KO'ing Weidman before he gets close enough to grapple. I wouldn't be surprised by either outcome.

Post #9   8/12/12 9:18:45PM   

tcunningham

Combat Sport and Fitness

tcunningham Avatar

Career:508-351
Chips:
i am ready for andy to retire. i got no problem with him fighting weidman or anybody else, but after waiting for the chael fight, then waiting for this bendo/edgar rematch, i fuckin sick of weight classes being on hold because of champions/injuries/rematches etc.

Last edited 8/12/12 10:29PM server time by tcunningham

Post #10   8/12/12 10:28:40PM   

jae_1833

TTTHS

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:2,562-1,630
Chips:
Silva vs Weidman was a little premature in my opinion, but at least it would have kept Silva busy.......Silva, IMO, waits until 2013I only to fight Jon Jones. Either that or he defends the belt. Wasting away, fighting no one is a waste to me.

Post #11   8/13/12 12:49:38AM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Career:534-389
Chips:

Posted by telnights

You could have said the same thing about Jon Jones or Brock Lesnar. That pendulum swings two ways. Jon Jones seemed to ragdoll everyone else despite limited experience. Hell, Weidman's first 5 fights were a lot tougher than Jones'.

Brock Lesnar's first 5 fights were tougher than Jones' as well, but you know what all three of these guys have in common? They all looked just so much better than their competition during those fights. Weidman has looked and shown more than Jon Jones or Brock Lesnar showed during their first five fights. He's won every single way possible and done it against better competition than Jones.

Just saying.

Post #12   8/13/12 6:20:47AM   

lohmann

A Black Belt in Jiu-Jitsu

lohmann Avatar

Career:1,622-883
Chips:
I dislike this news, but there seems to be a silver lining here. The middleweight division can find a definite contender in the next six months as it gives time for Weidman, Bisping, Boetsch, and maybe Evans to sort out a pecking order while establishing one or two as bona fide contenders that have a perceivable chance at dethroning the UFC's longest-reigning champion. The myriad of possibilities that are floating around now should be a little more limited in six months, and if Weidman is "the guy" a showcase fight on a pay-per-view would not hurt the UFC's ability to sell him.

I do wonder how far into 2013 Silva plans on sitting out until. February or March would be a proper turn-around time for a champion that wants to fight twice yearly, which every champion should. (Jones should slow down soon. He will have exhausted the gauntlet if he aces the Henderson test next month and find himself in a similar position to Anderson Silva, Jose Aldo, and at one time Georges St. Pierre.)

Hopefully this all ends in a "superfight" and Silva hangs up the gloves afterwards.

Post #13   8/13/12 7:11:57AM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Career:534-389
Chips:

Posted by lohmann

I dislike this news, but there seems to be a silver lining here. The middleweight division can find a definite contender in the next six months as it gives time for Weidman, Bisping, Boetsch, and maybe Evans to sort out a pecking order while establishing one or two as bona fide contenders that have a perceivable chance at dethroning the UFC's longest-reigning champion. The myriad of possibilities that are floating around now should be a little more limited in six months, and if Weidman is "the guy" a showcase fight on a pay-per-view would not hurt the UFC's ability to sell him.

I do wonder how far into 2013 Silva plans on sitting out until. February or March would be a proper turn-around time for a champion that wants to fight twice yearly, which every champion should. (Jones should slow down soon. He will have exhausted the gauntlet if he aces the Henderson test next month and find himself in a similar position to Anderson Silva, Jose Aldo, and at one time Georges St. Pierre.)

Hopefully this all ends in a "superfight" and Silva hangs up the gloves afterwards.

You make and bring up some excellent points here. I was actually thinking about what Telnights said a little more after I posted. I think there's a lot of truths in what he said, I'm just not sure I agree with all of them. But, with Dana allowing Anderson some time off, I completely agree with you that the MW division could really use this time to set themselves up for the forthcoming departure of Anderson.

Dana's probably realizing that he is entering uncharted waters with Silva. Dude has been at the top for so long that it seems more and more likely that the next guy to hold the belt might have to win it in a "tournament" because Anderson retired before he was beaten. Dana realized he needs to have a succession plan for Silva. Whether someone beats him or he retires on top, Dana needs to set that division up for his departure. It's coming sooner rather than later.

Post #14   8/13/12 12:58:31PM   

kingsmasher

BANNED

Career:258-155
Chips:

Posted by SpiderSilva

Posted by sparky

you officially cant recognize talent period...Weidman will destroy Silva....The fight will end up on the ground but Weidman will sub Silva...Weidman has destroyed everyone hes fought except Maia but he took that on ten days and cut 20 pounds...

What did Silva do to Maia? With a whole camp...Silva is great of course but he also had a padded record...His best win is against an aging rusty Vitor...

Weidmans strengths are Silvas weakness...He doesnt want the fight...Silva is very popular and has big sponsorship deals in Brazil and all woulod come down with a loss...

I would bet against you one of us to leave the MMAPlayground forever on that fight....

Post #15   8/13/12 1:42:23PM   

Page 1 of 3     1     2     3