Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

ESPN Hot Button Issue: Which is better for the UFC?

Print  
Which is better for the UFC?
Anderson Silva win 19 48%
Chael Sonnen win 21 53%
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

Poor_Franklin

Slight Reach Advantage

Poor_Franklin Avatar

Career:1,459-835
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Which outcome is better for the UFC? An Anderson Silva win or a Chael Sonnen win?

Link

UFC 151: Never Forget

Post #1   7/3/12 2:53:59PM   

Poor_Franklin

Slight Reach Advantage

Poor_Franklin Avatar

Career:1,459-835
Chips:
i picked Sonnen win. I personally like both fighters enough to not really have a cheering section for this, other than what my picks are for the PG game.

The reason i picked Sonnen win is bc they would sell the shit out of him as a champ. People might hate him, but most fighters that are hated get good ratings bc people will watch hoping to see them lose.

either way, as long as the fight is good, im happy

UFC 151: Never Forget

Post #2   7/3/12 2:58:23PM   

frizzzlecake

MMA Sensei

frizzzlecake Avatar

Career:493-296
Chips:
Chael because he won't be a closet champion.

Post #3   7/3/12 3:09:39PM   

KingCmb

Standup Guy

KingCmb Avatar

Career:935-862
Chips:
silva sonnen 3 will sell alot of tickets in a socer stadium no brainer

Post #4   7/3/12 3:14:25PM   

FastKnockout

$ Impin' Ain't Easy $

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:1,709-955
Chips:
Anderson. Sure, Sonnen can bring in ticket and PPV sales, but Anderson is the closest we have to an Ali/Tyson status fighter in MMA. How great would it be if he retired in the UFC as champion and undefeated?

Post #5   7/3/12 3:23:42PM   

tepid55

MMA Sensei

tepid55 Avatar

Career:2,837-1,567
Camp: Pride FC Forever
Chips:
I don't think the UFC wants Sonnen to be champion.

Post #6   7/3/12 4:13:09PM   

Chael_Sonnen

Follow.The.Buzzards

Chael_Sonnen Avatar

Career:1,277-785
Chips:

Posted by tepid55

I don't think the UFC wants Sonnen to be champion.

Yes...THEY DO!

The An-der-son pre-funk retirement party is in full swing!

RSVP your reservations.

Last edited 7/3/12 4:41PM server time by chael_sonnen
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #7   7/3/12 4:33:45PM   

MALICE

MMA Sensei

MALICE Avatar

Career:698-340
Chips:
I'm surprised to see Sonnen with more votes. I actually can't remember who I voted for, but I think it was Silva. Saturday cannot get here soon enough.

Post #8   7/3/12 4:37:11PM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:746-420
Chips:
Have not read this yet. I will and see if my point changes. Since the WEC MW division folded into the WEC Chael has went 5-2. He submitted only Brian Stann. He has knocked no one out, in fact you would have to go clear back to 2007 to a Sportfight event to last see a Chael Sonnen TKO (Kyacey Uscola). His mouth makes him interesting but how long would people enjoy watching him take guys down and grind out 5 rd UD? They are getting pretty tired of GSP doing it I will tell you that for free. Many are getting sick of the racist remarks as it is. Lets not forget this is a guy who was convicted of stealing peoples money as well. His bouts with Back Acne and Elevated levels of Test can only make you wonder would this guy be a great leader for the UFC? Had he won the Title from Anderson in the first fight he would have been striped of it.

Anderson's resume speaks for its self. Sure he had a few dud fights to be fair but his highlight reel is pretty much unmatched and never any troubles outside the Cage.

Someone coming in and taking the belt from Anderson wouldn't be a bad thing for the sport I just have a feeling Chaels not the kind of guy the UFC wants to do it.

Edit
After reading it I still feel the same. Really ppl tune in to awesome fights Chael isn't all that exciting of a fighter I wouldn't call it Lay n Pray but people do not love top postion grappling for the most part. Its been bitched about time and time again.

I would like to clerify that I myself have no problem with his style or Georges I think its amazing they have the ability to keep a guy on his back the way they do. I'm just saying general MMA fans lose intrest in fights like that rather quickly.

Last edited 7/3/12 5:01PM server time by postman
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #9   7/3/12 4:49:28PM   

Chael_Sonnen

Follow.The.Buzzards

Chael_Sonnen Avatar

Career:1,277-785
Chips:

Posted by postman

Have not read this yet. I will and see if my point changes. Since the WEC MW division folded into the WEC Chael has went 5-2. He submitted only Brian Stann. He has knocked no one out, in fact you would have to go clear back to 2007 to a Sportfight event to last see a Chael Sonnen TKO (Kyacey Uscola). His mouth makes him interesting but how long would people enjoy watching him take guys down and grind out 5 rd UD? They are getting pretty tired of GSP doing it I will tell you that for free. Many are getting sick of the racist remarks as it is. Lets not forget this is a guy who was convicted of stealing peoples money as well. His bouts with Back Acne and Elevated levels of Test can only make you wonder would this guy be a great leader for the UFC? Had he won the Title from Anderson in the first fight he would have been striped of it.

Anderson's resume speaks for its self. Sure he had a few dud fights to be fair but his highlight reel is pretty much unmatched and never any troubles outside the Cage.

Someone coming in and taking the belt from Anderson wouldn't be a bad thing for the sport I just have a feeling Chaels not the kind of guy the UFC wants to do it.

Remember kids, Chael is a 'Truth Talker' not a 'Trash Talker'

Post #10   7/3/12 5:00:36PM   

prophecy033

REBEL WITH A CAUSE

prophecy033 Avatar

Career:1,984-1,177
Chips:

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

Remember kids, Chael is a 'Truth Talker' not a 'Trash Talker'

Riiigggghhhhhtttt

Post #11   7/3/12 5:12:55PM   

SpiderSilva

PFM

SpiderSilva Avatar

Career:1,802-1,135
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
If Sonnen wins AND THATS A LONG SHOT. He wouldn't hold the title vary long. With Bjj guys like Maia and PaulHarris waiting in the wings. Silva has the best highlight reel of all time. Not a lay on someone and land pitty pat puches to score points.

Silva is the best thing for the UFC hands down. His fights do the talking not a big mouth.

He's been known to cure narcalepsy by just walking into a room. His orgin donation card list his beard. He is a lover not a fighter but he's also a fighter so don't get any idea's he is SpiderSilva I'm the baddest man alive

Post #12   7/3/12 6:08:21PM   

FastKnockout

$ Impin' Ain't Easy $

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:1,709-955
Chips:

Posted by SpiderSilva

If Sonnen wins AND THATS A LONG SHOT. He wouldn't hold the title vary long. With Bjj guys like Maia and PaulHarris waiting in the wings. Silva has the best highlight reel of all time. Not a lay on someone and land pitty pat puches to score points.

Silva is the best thing for the UFC hands down. His fights do the talking not a big mouth.

Sonnen should worry about Maia for sure. Palhares, not so much. Chael mainly struggles with triangles but Palhares has the guard of an infant.

Post #13   7/3/12 6:18:57PM   

pmoney

P$ Pimpin'

pmoney Avatar

Career:1,475-898
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
This is a WILDLY speculative question. As it is though, I'd probably have to go with Sonnen. Sonnen can bring hype and showmanship to the public, meanwhile Anderson is still pretending not to speak English.

Anderson has been around for a long time now, and I don't think he is even much of a draw. That is a huge problem, not to mention a problem that makes little sense. Is it the foregone conclusion that Silva is going to KO whoever he faces? Is it that he's been doing this for so long? Is it the lack of exposure to the general public? I am sure all of these issues are factors.

Chael on the other hand has a Brock Lesnar quality: he's good with the microphone, and people want to see if he can back up his talk. This brings viewers. However, as someone previously stated (I think postman) Chael brings a smothering top control game that we already know is hated among the casuals. So if he does win, and does bring in a new audience, how long will that new audience stick around?

If Anderson wins, his next fight should be New Years' Eve, from Brazil, televised for free worldwide. That would be best for the sport, imo.

Post #14   7/3/12 6:21:28PM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Career:1,120-670
Chips:
short term, it is Sonnen clearly. We finally have a new champion in a weight class that has essentially been stagnant for years. Sonnen is like the Yankees or the Heat of the UFC, fans of the sport will tune in to hopefully watch them lose the championship. Then there are fans who recently jumped on the bandwagon and will buy those PPVs. Sonnen can sell a fight between him and a relative unknown more so than Silva vs Bisping, for example. Sure it is very pro-wrestling esque, but how many of you are going to tune in to watch him potentially get his face caved in? If Sonnen didn't hype this fight, how excited would you be for it? Were you excited for the Silva vs Okami fight where there was no pre-fight hype and the outcome was blatantly obvious?

long term, yeah Sonnen isn't the ideal champion to have for the next 3 years. Style wise isn't very appealing to most people (I don't have much problem with it), and his brash personality will wear off some fans (I for one love it because I dislike Anderson, but after Saturday I don't know how much more I will find necessary).

I think this question is more geared to short term, like within the next year of Saturday night, and imo Sonnen winning is better. Think about the next 2 title fights for Saturday's winner...which scenarios intrigue you more/will draw you to buy their next PPV?

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #15   7/3/12 7:05:32PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2