Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Racist MMA Doctor Benjamin

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

infestructure

NOW KITH

infestructure Avatar

Career:722-438
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Dr Johnny Benjamin is normally pretty bad, but this article takes the cake

Article

"The UFC/MMA ,in large part, appeals to a young, white male demographic because young, white males are very good at it. They can cheer for their own, drink with their own and feel good about it when their guy wins."

OK Dr Benjamin, whatever you say.

Post #1   6/25/12 4:41:00PM   

kopower

Heavyweight Champ

kopower Avatar

Career:2,215-1,196
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
I don't disagree with him about the racial slurs. It's amazing the amount of racism still around today. Not just in this country like he stated.

Maybe Mr. Benjamin should look at the roster and see how the percentages of fighters shake out. I believe most are white, but the Brazilians can't be far behind. Also, look at the title holders to see how well the superior white male is fairing. His use of Philidelphia booing Anderson Silva is laughable. I mean, Philly booed Santa Claus for cryin out loud.

I'd go into more detail, but I figured I've already wasted enough of my time commenting on this bozo; and it's not because he's black

What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in the playground is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no props, and may the mods have mercy on your soul.

Post #2   6/25/12 4:56:58PM   

prophecy033

REBEL WITH A CAUSE

prophecy033 Avatar

Career:1,939-1,156
Chips:

Posted by kopower

I don't disagree with him about the racial slurs. It's amazing the amount of racism still around today. Not just in this country like he stated.

Maybe Mr. Benjamin should look at the roster and see how the percentages of fighters shake out. I believe most are white, but the Brazilians can't be far behind. Also, look at the title holders to see how well the superior white male is fairing. His use of Philidelphia booing Anderson Silva is laughable. I mean, Philly booed Santa Claus for cryin out loud.

I'd go into more detail, but I figured I've already wasted enough of my time commenting on this bozo; and it's not because he's black

Wasn't it Philly that cheered when Michael Irvin got hurt?

Post #3   6/25/12 5:11:08PM   

pmoney

P$ Pimpin'

pmoney Avatar

Career:1,426-871
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
I left an extensive comment on the article, under the name pmoney. Hopefully gets up there.

Basically, my take is this: I am white, and I have never met a white person who watches the sport to watch Caucasians beat up other ethnic groups. Not to say it isn't possible, but racism is in every sport, nation, and to varying degrees inside everyone.

When Jon Jones won his UFC on Versus fight in San Diego, and he quoted Anchorman, I was a huge fan. I already knew of his talent. But the more he said, the more he did, I grew to dislike his personality. "The UFC sponsors me because I wont embarass them and get a DUI" he said, a month before getting a DUI. He's a hypocrite in my book. He is one of the absolute best fighters alive today, and I like watching his fights, but my dislike for his attitude has nothing to do with race.

I think Nationalism a bigger issue overall as opposed to racism. I don't see Dr. Benjamin shaming Brazilian fans for booing every non-Brazilian out of the stadium. Not to mention, the good doctor's description of Silva and Jones beating their white opponents seemed tinged with a racist bitterness. In my experience, racists are usually the first to bring up the issue.

Post #4   6/25/12 5:12:54PM   

SmileR

Buy the ticket, take the ride

SmileR Avatar

Career:1,284-761
Chips:
What a fucking tool! He found something he knows nothing about and posted it using his MD status!

I always root for Rampage because I like the guy, I always root against Jones because the man is cocky and acts holier than everyone!

The crowd went wild for Griffin-Franklin because its 90% casual fans and Forrest put the sport on the map! He's possibly the most recognisable fighter in America behind Chuck! The Canadians go wild for GSP, the British scream loudest for Bisping and the Brazilians the same for their champions! Why would anyone root agains't their national fighter?!

And if most white fans only cheer for "their own" Why do fighters like Aldo, the Korean Zombie, BJ, Tito and many others blow the roof off the arenas they fight in?

I really didn't like this guy before with his wildly sloppy "medical facts" but this is ridiculous.

"No one likes to see their favorite fighter get their ass handed to them but it quickly becomes racial when a black guy hands it to them"

Explain why the crowd went crazy when Rampage beat Hendo to unify the Pride and UFC LHW titles?
Explain why 90% of the crowd where on their feet screaming when Werdum subbed Fedor!

I'm not saying there isn't racist fans or that people don't root for their countries fighter but saying the UFC actively markets white fighters more than black fighters is ridiculous!

Im pretty sure Tito was one of the first fighters to be plastered all over Times Sq!

Yeah black fighters get abused on the internet and I'm betting you could find some racial abuse pretty quickly if you looked, but so does every other race, nationality and creed. That doesn't make it ok but it happens. Its the internet.

"The UFC/MMA ,in large part, appeals to a young, white male demographic because young, white males are very good at it. They can cheer for their own, drink with their own and feel good about it when their guy wins."

This is just moronic.

Last edited 6/25/12 5:20PM server time by SmileR
Edit note/reason: n/a

I was born to lead, not to read!!!!

Post #5   6/25/12 5:17:28PM   

State_Champ

MMA Sensei

State_Champ Avatar

Career:1,418-848
Camp: The Evil Empire
Chips:

Posted by infestructure

Article

That does not seem racist to me.
It must be over my head or something.

Post #6   6/25/12 5:28:37PM   

Gogoplatapus

MMA Sensei

Gogoplatapus Avatar

Career:894-595
Camp: West Coast Canada
Chips:
Racist Dr Benjamin, couldn't find one Asian athlete to put in his blog header. Outrageous.

Post #7   6/25/12 5:30:53PM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:746-420
Chips:
As a white male I do watch MMA to see whites beat on minorities. I enjoy a Budweiser or Old mill as I do so and I only smoke weed in a joint. I also like to watch boxing because I enjoy watching Blacks beat up other blacks.

Idiot

Post #8   6/25/12 5:36:39PM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:

Posted by State_Champ

Posted by infestructure

Article

I agree. I think racism/racist is too loosely used for something when it isn't.

racist: a person with a prejudiced belief that one race is superior to others

racism: Prejudice or discrimination directed against someone of a different race based on such a belief

What happens when no young white male's are fighting? We just don't watch b/c "our" isn't fighting?

Post #9   6/25/12 6:21:24PM   

infestructure

NOW KITH

infestructure Avatar

Career:722-438
Chips:

Posted by State_Champ

Posted by infestructure

Article

I'm not sure if you are being serious. Did you read the article?

Lol @ the Philly booed Santa Claus comment Kopower

And whoever said about nationalism being much more of a drag than racism, I'll find you and prop you after I post.

I am basically a scandinavian/viking, and my favorite fighters are my favorites because of the way they fight, not their damn skin color!

Post #10   6/25/12 6:31:48PM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
I love how he points out a few fights, to where the crowd was cheering for the white guy.

I'm sure people where cheering for Anderson Silva before the Forrest Griffin fight that he mentioned, so where was mention of that?

""Name me one top black UFC fighter that doesn't routinely get booed or chanted against during their fights: Silva, Evans, Rampage, Jones...I'm waiting.""

I guess he hasn't watched MMA that long. All of them have had things hurt their fanbase, but also have had a good fanbase.

Silva is not black, brazilian.

He is making a generalization that every fan is the ones who are loud and shout racial slurs at the events, and those are the guys he thinks everyone is, because he has been to event.

You cannot control what everybody says or thinks and you can't just have what a few people say be the words for everybody.

""Until recently, none of the ring card girls were black. And I hope that the lovely Chandella doesn't frequent popular MMA forums and chat rooms because the things that were said about her being added to the line up by the MMA faithful were unusually harsh.""

How is that racist? Did the purposely not hire black ring card girls because they hated them and thought they were less superior to white ring card girls? Don't think so.

I hate that the race card is played so often in situations like that. Just because someone of color isn't included, it's automatically racist to them. That's a load of crap. I doubt that is rarely done intentionally because of their race.

""Besides Herb Dean the only black men that are routinely seen within the octagon are a few of the athletes themselves. Let's talk about that for a moment.""

He seems to think there are only black and white fighters, no other races that fight in the UFC.

He probably thinks the UFC should bring in more black people just because they are lacking and he probably thinks you should just scrap the idea of putting the best fighters out there, unless they're black.

I mean, if the UFC personally denying black people from MMA and getting into the UFC because of their race? No.

Get real. Let's just not post his crap on here anymore.

Post #11   6/25/12 6:48:46PM   

BelXavier420

Standup Guy

BelXavier420 Avatar

Career:857-609
Camp: TN Brawlers
Chips:

Posted by Twenty20Dollars
Get real. Let's just not post his crap on here anymore.

Agreed, that article was total crap and did not have one relevant point. It was a waste of time to read and I am not even sure why I bothered to comment on it.

Post #12   6/25/12 8:36:15PM   

Franklinfan47

Gettin Paper!

Franklinfan47 Avatar

Career:2,552-1,397
Chips:
Dumbest doctor ever.

Post #13   6/25/12 10:21:42PM   

FlashyG

MMA Sensei

FlashyG Avatar

Career:2,156-1,214
Chips:
Is it racist if I want to see a white guy beat the shit out of Doctor Benjamin?

If so I hope a black guy does it.

Post #14   6/25/12 11:46:16PM   

prophecy033

REBEL WITH A CAUSE

prophecy033 Avatar

Career:1,939-1,156
Chips:
First things first, i don't understand how anyone can be racist in this day and age. The bottom line for me is i just don't like certain people. It doesn't matter to me what color they are or where their from. Color means nothing.
I don't like certain guys because of their attitudes, contradictory actions, fighting styles or any combination of things not having to do with race or nationality. I don't understand why it always is assumed it has to do with Racism. This "Dr." should try watching MMA on a regular basis and maybe he will understand why we cheer for who we cheer for and boo who we boo

Post #15   6/26/12 1:06:55AM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2