Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Spike Counter-Programming UFC, Bellator With Friday TUF Marathons

Print  
Posted By Message

FastKnockout

THE RUTHLESS ONE

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:1,665-930
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
The UFC/Spike relationship continued its jilted lover getting revenge feel as the network announced Tuesday they will air marathons of The Ultimate Fighter on Friday nights starting on Friday, March 2nd.

The three-hour weekly block -- called "The Ultimate Fighter Fridays" -- will feature some of the best episodes from the 14 seasons TUF ran on the male-focused cable network. Spike also said in a press release they will air special-themed editions of TUF based on social media feedback.

When the UFC announced they had signed a deal with Fox, part of the seven year contract was moving the popular reality show to FX on Friday nights with live fights as opposed to taped. The next season of TUF begins on Friday, March 9th with UFC Bantamweight Champion Dominick Cruz and Urijah Faber as coaches of teams of welterweights and lightweights.

However, Spike will also be counter-programming their future asset Bellator Fighting Championships, which comes to Spike in 2013. Bellator recently announced a move to Fridays on MTV2, making for a busy night of MMA to start the weekend. They also begin their new night on Friday, March 2nd with Spike.com airing the prelim fights.

2012 marks the final year of Spike's deal with the UFC, enabling them access to archive footage they have been using to counter-program UFC events on Fox and Versus.

LINK

Post #1   12/20/11 7:43:14PM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
Nobody is going to watch reruns. I mean come on, reruns? Playoffs?

Post #2   12/20/11 9:08:02PM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,690-1,487
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

Nobody is going to watch reruns. I mean come on, reruns? Playoffs?

It's all about trying to confuse the casual fan. People said the same thing when they planned to counter-program the Fox event last month. There was absolutely no reason for anyone to watch Spike that night. Re-run vs Live...whoever has Spike also has Fox. They still pulled in nearly a million pairs of eyes during the Fox broadcast. It will take a while for common folk to figure this whole thing out... unfortunately for the UFC.

Post #3   12/20/11 9:30:50PM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
It they reran like the first couple of seasons I might DVR that or at least I would for some of season one.

Post #4   12/21/11 12:08:36AM   

RearNakedJoke

In Full Mount

RearNakedJoke Avatar

Career:1,223-863
Chips:
i can only record 2 channels at a time so ill be recording FX and bellator. Spike is stupid to counter program bellator :/

Post #5   12/21/11 1:47:46AM