Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Dan Henderson Calls Out Jon Jones, Wants to Test His Chin

Print  
  Page 1 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

FastKnockout

THE RUTHLESS ONE

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:1,621-903
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Shortly after UFC 140 ended, former Strikeforce and PRIDE champion, Dan Henderson campaigned for a shot at Jon Jones. He turned to twitter to make the case for a title shot:

@danhendo
Dan Henderson
Congrats to @jonnybones -- great win. Hey @danawhite, I'd like to see if his chin is as good as he thinks & I'm ready to go.
Dec 11 via SeesmicFavoriteRetweetReply
Aside from the winner of Phil Davis vs. Rashad Evans, Henderson is probably the only light heavyweight that can draw a ton of interest in a match against Jones.

He has the wrestling, and that bomb of a right hand that can cause stylistic problems, plus he's riding high coming off a very impressive run in 2011. That hot-streak has seen him win the Strikeforce light heavyweight title, KO the greatest heavyweight of all-time in Fedor Emeliananko, and defeat Shogun Rua in a fight of the year candidate.

While it is a very interesting match up, there could be issues with timing, as Jones said during the post-fight press conference that he wanted to take a few months off. (Transcribed by MMA Mania):

"I would like to take up to four months of, maybe even five. Come on Dana, give me a break, give me a break please. Yeah, fighting maybe three times in 2012 would be nice, but you know a break sounds nice, too. So, it's really up to the UFC, one of my goals is to be a company guy, so if the UFC asks me to do something, I probably won't put up much of a fight. So it's really up to Dana."

LINK

Post #1   12/11/11 1:37:18PM   

kopower

Heavyweight Champ

kopower Avatar

Career:2,200-1,190
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
I think it would have a decent draw, but I think Hendo would get wrecked Rua style

What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in the playground is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no props, and may the mods have mercy on your soul.

Post #2   12/11/11 1:47:20PM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
I think I'd rather see Hendo instead of Rashad/Davis vs Jones.

Plus Hendo will be ready before Rashad/Davis.

Post #3   12/11/11 2:05:14PM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Career:1,431-836
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
If Hendo lands I think Jones would be in huge trouble but Bones I think would have that killer reach advantage that would make this very hard for Dan to accomplish.

Post #4   12/11/11 2:08:12PM   

isk

In Full Mount

isk Avatar

Career:-
Chips:
Machida is a quick, strong striker with a real nice left hand that, lest we forget, dropped Rashad like a sack multiple times. While I don't think it landed perfectly last night, it was solid enough to show Bones won't fold instantly.

On the feet, and speaking strictly against Bones, I think Hendo is slightly more dangerous than Rampage (more hustle and ability to close the distance) but nowhere near the threat of Machida (not nearly as quick, diverse, or unpredictable). The areas I'm concerned in are in the clinch (a little bit) and in a ground scramble (quite a bit more). The smart money is on Bones neutralizing Hendo's wrestling and/or locking up chokes in the clinch or a scramble, but this matchup is compelling just because of Hendo's iron chin and rocket right hand.

In a drawn out fight? I think Bones picks him apart from a distance, saps his cardio and makes his arms fill with blood, and he finishes him off much like Anderson did. But I'm still okay with seeing this fight, as long as Bones fights Rashad (not because I think Rashad is a bigger threat, but because of the drama).

Post #5   12/11/11 2:21:01PM   

warglory

Heavyweight Champ

warglory Avatar

Career:535-344
Chips:
I really like this fight, but I think Jones deserves a bit of time off.

Post #6   12/11/11 3:03:12PM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-505
Chips:
Hendo would have a lot of trouble dealing with the combination of front/side kicks and wrestling ability from jones keeping him out of range IMO.

Post #7   12/11/11 3:08:25PM   

jae_1833

TTTHS

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:2,471-1,565
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
So if Jones defeats Rashad/Davis and HENDO then will people finally jump on my attempt to get Jon Jones vs Anderson Silva before the guy gets too bored and retires?!

Post #8   12/11/11 6:18:49PM   

RearNakedJoke

In Full Mount

RearNakedJoke Avatar

Career:1,223-863
Chips:
hendo is too slow for Jones. i just dont see him having much of a chance.

I do think Rashad can beat him. He has speed and experience fighting bigger fighters.

Post #9   12/11/11 6:18:57PM   

State_Champ

MMA Sensei

State_Champ Avatar

Career:1,405-840
Camp: The Evil Empire
Chips:

Posted by RearNakedJoke

I do think Rashad can beat him. He has speed and experience fighting bigger fighters.

Not to mention that Jones has the ability to keep Dan at range so as to avoid the H-Bomb.
Against Machida, Jones' range was somewhat nullified by Machida's darting style, but Henderson seems much more plodding to me.

I suspect Henderson/Jones would look similar to Rampage/Jones.

I'm not sure Rashad can beat Jones with speed and experience.
Machida is fast and his speed was not enough to save him. Also, Machida is usually the smaller fighter so he has "experience fighting bigger fighters," but that experience couldn't save him either.

Post #10   12/11/11 6:44:30PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,481-868
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
I think Hendo's style plays perfectly into Jones' strenghts.

Its like others have said. The fight is worth watching. Hendo is an elite wrestler. He's got an iron chin and a thunderous right hand. He's also got a lot of momentum at his back.

All that said (barring a one punch knockout) Jones would own Hendo.

With Machida out of the way I really wanna see Silva/Jones. Only competitive fight left for either guy.

Rashad deserves his shot and I"m sure he'll get it. But I've got no interest in seeing it.

Post #11   12/11/11 7:31:11PM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,643-1,469
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by RearNakedJoke

Rashad's speed helps him land first when inside the pocket. He'll never be there with Jones. When you have to cover a longer distance, that speed advantage gets nullified.

Post #12   12/11/11 7:32:08PM   

mattjonesy

Standup Guy

mattjonesy Avatar

Career:2,048-1,277
Chips:
I just dont see anyone matching up well with Jones! Rashad or Davis might be the final hope!

Post #13   12/11/11 7:48:23PM   

KungFuMaster

Heavyweight Champ

KungFuMaster Avatar

Career:423-341
Camp: The Lone Ranger(s)
Chips:
I would love nothing more than for Dan Henderson to get it done but I have to be realistic. Jones is just too strong as a wrestler and fighter and his reach will put Dan in all sorts of problems.

I can only pray to the gods of MMA to send down a Savior.

Post #14   12/11/11 7:59:41PM   

Travesty145

MMA Regular

Travesty145 Avatar

Career:675-411
Chips:
those of you who think this fight is even slightly a good idea, come on. be realistic

Post #15   12/11/11 8:00:37PM   

Page 1 of 3     1     2     3