Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Shane Carwin Offers No Comment on Steroid Allegations

Print  
Posted By Message

FastKnockout

$ Impin' Ain't Easy $

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:1,786-990
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Remember when a federal investigation implicated Shane Carwin as a recipient of steroid orders from Applied Pharmacy Services? It was August 14, 2010, just over a month after Carwin's second-round meltdown against Brock Lesnar at UFC 116. The news created a minor whirlwind (imagine the reaction had Carwin defeated Lesnar!) before settling down, and then all but disappearing.

Carwin's manager, Jason Genet, promised a statement about the accusations, which has, according to my memory and thorough Googling, yet to be fulfilled.

LINK

Last edited 6/9/11 2:51PM server time by emfleek
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #1   6/9/11 2:49:07PM   

Budgellism

Randy

Budgellism Avatar

Career:2,828-1,619
Chips:
I'm not going to touch this with a 20 foot stick.

Post #2   6/9/11 3:05:01PM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,304-1,218
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by Budgellism

I'm not going to touch this with a 20 foot stick.

If anyone else wants to touch it with that stick, just make sure to stay within the site rules, please.

Post #3   6/9/11 3:06:23PM   

Jekyll

TROLL

Jekyll Avatar

Career:8-13
Chips:
If they do anything they need to do a deep look into ALL of MMA, there have been tons of guys thought the life of the sport that only fought in certain areas because there was no testing. Not to mention there are some HUGE names on that list that refused to fight in tested areas. Also in very short times some guys got really big really fast.

IMO i think it would be good for the sport in the long run if someone did an UNBIAS in depth investigation on the sport since its inception.

I remember an interview with Dan Henderson where he was asked if he though he ever fought anyone who was on steroids his response was "Of course i fight for PRIDE"

Post #4   6/9/11 3:27:55PM   

DeadHead988

MMA Sensei

DeadHead988 Avatar

Career:367-289
Camp: Midwest Training Center
Chips:
Not trying to jump to conclusions, but it could possibly have something to do with his recent loss of muscle mass. Hopefully, this isn't the case. You shouldn't be afraid to address this issue just because it's controversial. I understand that the rules prohibit things such as accusing fighters of steroid use, but when there is tangible evidence there's reason to acknowledge these things. Just because someone may be your favorite fighter doesn't mean that he can do no wrong. Sometimes you've gotta buck up and face the issue. Like Forrest Griffin says: "When real men have **** in their back pocket, they have **** in their back pocket."

Post #5   6/9/11 3:40:19PM   

FastKnockout

$ Impin' Ain't Easy $

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:1,786-990
Chips:
Once again, interested to see how Carwin looks at the weigh-ins.

Post #6   6/9/11 4:38:52PM   

Budgellism

Randy

Budgellism Avatar

Career:2,828-1,619
Chips:

Posted by DeadHead988

Not trying to jump to conclusions, but it could possibly have something to do with his recent loss of muscle mass. Hopefully, this isn't the case. You shouldn't be afraid to address this issue just because it's controversial. I understand that the rules prohibit things such as accusing fighters of steroid use, but when there is tangible evidence there's reason to acknowledge these things. Just because someone may be your favorite fighter doesn't mean that he can do no wrong. Sometimes you've gotta buck up and face the issue. Like Forrest Griffin says: "When real men have **** in their back pocket, they have **** in their back pocket."

I had an opinion on this when it was going on last time and it hasn't changed. I feel like there's really no need for me to go over this again and risk saying some unpleasant things. I hate fighter bashing, even when it comes from my own mouth/words.

Post #7   6/9/11 5:18:47PM   

decken

Standup Guy

decken Avatar

Career:471-314
Chips:

Posted by Budgellism

Posted by DeadHead988

I had an opinion on this when it was going on last time and it hasn't changed. I feel like there's really no need for me to go over this again and risk saying some unpleasant things. I hate fighter bashing, even when it comes from my own mouth/words.

While I can not say that Carwin never used steroids I don't think that he has been using them while fighting for the UFC. With that said Carwin is going to look much smaller for the JDS fight since he now walking around at 255. I think this has to do with his new diet and cardio regiment he started after gassing out against Lesnar and not with anything steroid related.

Not commenting on this issue is sometimes the best option. If he says he never used them(regardless if it is true or not) people are still going to accuse him of using. If he admits using them in in the past people are going to be pissed off and it would be damaging to his career. So why say anything.

Post #8   6/9/11 8:04:10PM   

Kpro

I STAB WATERBEDS!

Kpro Avatar

Career:2,500-1,283
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
I took various prohormones about 10 years ago before the types I was taking were banned. What I was cycling is now classified as a steroid in terms of professional athletes yet it was legal and I walked into supplement stores and bought it at the time.

Does that mean I've taken steroids? Even though it was not classified yet as a steroid and was 100% legal to purchase and use at the time I took it?

It's just such a slippery slope there's no sense for him to comment on it.

Post #9   6/9/11 8:21:03PM   

jae_1833

TTTHS

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:2,617-1,666
Chips:
When / If he passes the test when he is given then why should anyone doubt him.

Post #10   6/10/11 1:09:54AM