Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Training advice

Print  
Posted By Message

Beatz

Learning to Sprawl

Career:-
Chips:
Hey guys,

Im planning on heading to Thailand next year in May for around four months for Muai Thai training and perhaps some fights. I haven't did much martial arts training apart from abit of jiu jitsu a few years ago.

I live in Northern Ireland so there is few mma camps around (2 muai thai camps 60 miles away and one bjj camp also 60 miles away) but there is a Judo and jiu jitsu camp around so I can learn some sort of martial arts to keep me in good steed before I go to Thailand.

Which should I go for? I am a small guy (5 foot 6 and 140 pounds) but I do go to the gym around 3 times a week.

Any advice would be appreciated

Thanks.

Post #1   6/5/11 1:43:03PM   

Basshandsome

Standup Guy

Basshandsome Avatar

Career:2,715-1,504
Camp: Canadian Power Team
Chips:
If you are planning to go to Thailand to train, it would be a good idea to train Muay Thai so you can build a basic foundation. If you plan on having a fight while you are there, start training now. Also you might start to train in Muay Thai and find out that you don't enjoy it very much. It would be better to find that out before you leave. With that said, try BJJ as you may find the ground aspect is more suited to you.

Good luck.

Post #2   6/5/11 8:03:54PM   

fullerene

MMA Sensei

fullerene Avatar

Career:1,554-951
Camp: War Room Warriors
Chips:

Posted by Basshandsome

If you are planning to go to Thailand to train, it would be a good idea to train Muay Thai so you can build a basic foundation. If you plan on having a fight while you are there, start training now. Also you might start to train in Muay Thai and find out that you don't enjoy it very much. It would be better to find that out before you leave. With that said, try BJJ as you may find the ground aspect is more suited to you.

Good luck.

That's the right advice. Thailand is a long way away and you don't want to go all the way there to do something you dislike--and most people dislike getting kicked in their thigh, so it wouldn't be remarkable if you did too.

I'd also make sure you're in as good a cardiovascular condition as possible. Being a small guy sounds better than being a big guy in this case but make sure it's a solid 140 you're bringing over. Again, it's a long way away and if you spend half your time slouched against the wall trying to catch your breath it's going to be a waste of time and you're going to lose the respect of the peole you are training with. Make sure you're in your best shape so that the Muay Thai training is really learning Muay Thai--not doing a weight loss and cardio program.

Post #3   6/17/11 3:30:46PM