Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Georges St. Pierre Discusses UFC 129 Eye Injury

Print  
Do you think the eye pokes were intentional?
Yes 9 19%
No 38 81%
Posted By Message

FastKnockout

TRICK 'R TREAT

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:1,856-1,025
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
UFC welterweight champion Georges St. Pierre has been the subject of much discussion and ridicule since his UFC 129 decision win over Jake Shields. Fans and media alike have been harsh in their criticism, but one of the major game-changers in the fight was Shields inadvertently poking GSP in the eye in the third round. GSP came back to his corner and said he couldn't see out of his eye, and had considerable trouble finding his range for the rest of the fight.

There has been much speculation about the severity of his injury since the fight, so St. Pierre turned to twitter today to give his fans an update on his condition:

"I am so lucky my BJJ instructor Bruno Fernandes is an ophtamologist!!! I'll be in good hands!!!"

"My medical condition is called Hyphema. My vision is still blurry and my eye sensitive but the blood in my eye has now been absorbed..."

"My retina is find as well and my vision will come back to 100%!!! Can't be more happy!!"

LINK

Post #1   5/6/11 7:35:53PM   

BeeR

MMA Sensei

BeeR Avatar

Career:681-411
Chips:
it was a distance jab, not a poke
so, no.

Post #2   5/6/11 8:49:01PM   

FastKnockout

TRICK 'R TREAT

FastKnockout Avatar

Chips:

Posted by BeeR

so, no.

The jab wasn't the only "poke" that connected.

Last edited 5/6/11 9:01PM server time by FastKnockout
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #3   5/6/11 8:59:57PM   

Taylor8766

Belt Contender

Taylor8766 Avatar

Career:740-512
Camp: East Coast Pitbulls
Chips:

Posted by FastKnockout

Posted by BeeR

so, no.

good pics im saying sheilds may have implemented this in his gameplan to try and gain an advantage

props

Post #4   5/6/11 10:00:13PM   

VILLIN

Human/Sloth Hybrid

VILLIN Avatar

Career:1,883-1,079
Chips:
I'm a GSP fan but as far as I know Shields has never been known as a dirty fighter. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt until it becomes a repeated occurrence. **** happens during a fight and he was probably just trying to defend himself against that nasty jab.

Post #5   5/6/11 10:24:35PM   

FastKnockout

TRICK 'R TREAT

FastKnockout Avatar

Chips:

Posted by VILLIN

I'm a GSP fan but as far as I know Shields has never been known as a dirty fighter. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt until it becomes a repeated occurrence. **** happens during a fight and he was probably just trying to defend himself against that nasty jab.

Yeah, I mean I want to give him the benefit of the doubt, but what I notice about the GIFS is that Shields swiped with open palms. Who does that? He came down at GSP's eye with fingers stretched, there is no way he couldn't have known there was a chance for an eye poke.

I'll take his word that it wasn't intentional for now. I don't think he's normally a dirty fighter, but when the belt is on the line who knows.

Post #6   5/6/11 10:48:05PM   

tcunningham

Combat Sport and Fitness

tcunningham Avatar

Career:519-361
Chips:
not intensional. its absurd to say that they were. my training partners are good friends of mine and those guys poke me in the eyes all the time. we use MMA gloves not pillows like the boxers do

Post #7   5/7/11 1:59:50AM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,566-910
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Not only was it unintentional, it wasn't what caused the injury.

The UFC Truck showed on replay a jab (clean and legal) where the knuckle drove into GSPs eye. Many of the GIFS and PICS show eye pokes in the opposite eye, not the one that was injured. A full power jab with a knuckle to the eye is going to cause way more damage than the grazing finger swipes you showed.

Also, shields didn't do it on purpose. Some guys use an open palm to push or judge distance. He trained with Chuck, who was known for this. Chuck also had plenty of accidental pokes in his career. They just need to learn they can't do that in MMA, its to risky.

Post #8   5/7/11 2:26:18AM   

BeeR

MMA Sensei

BeeR Avatar

Career:681-411
Chips:

Posted by FastKnockout

Posted by BeeR

so, no.

oh wow,thanks!, I didnt see that open handed left hook, and I watched the fight twice.

I still dont think it was intentional though, the jab is the one that affected him, Im going to say its just sloppy technique

Last edited 5/7/11 7:51AM server time by beer

Post #9   5/7/11 7:49:37AM   

kopower

Heavyweight Champ

kopower Avatar

Career:2,297-1,230
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Looking at the gif's closely, it does appear he intentionally throws with open hands to GSP'S face; but I agree with Beer. Shields isn't known for his stand up and I also think it was just sloppy. Even guys with good technique occasionally strike with an open hand. I don't train but could it be he was trying to throw a punch and before it landed, opening up his hand to gauge distance and back away from any counter strike?

What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in the playground is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no props, and may the mods have mercy on your soul.

Post #10   5/7/11 1:01:49PM   

Budgellism

Randy

Budgellism Avatar

Career:2,900-1,652
Chips:

Posted by VILLIN

This.

Post #11   5/7/11 3:42:43PM   

decken

Standup Guy

decken Avatar

Career:471-314
Chips:

Posted by FastKnockout

Posted by VILLIN

Yeah, I mean I want to give him the benefit of the doubt, but what I notice about the GIFS is that Shields swiped with open palms. Who does that? He came down at GSP's eye with fingers stretched, there is no way he couldn't have known there was a chance for an eye poke.

I'll take his word that it wasn't intentional for now. I don't think he's normally a dirty fighter, but when the belt is on the line who knows.

The thumb pokes and open palm slaps are just sloppy punching techniques mixed with wrestling instinct.

First, an open palm slap is not a good way to poke someone in the eye. If you are intentionally trying to poke something don't want your fingers running perpendicular to the hole.

Secondly, not tucking your thumb is just a good way to break your thumb not a strategy to blind someone. Jake is a grappler why would he purposefully risk breaking his thumb?

Thirdly, wrestlers naturally will try and push someones head away if they think someone is trying to shoot in on them. Which is what is happening in this picture. Jake realized GSP was shooting so he opened his hand tried to push GSP's head away and sprawl.

Last edited 5/7/11 7:48PM server time by decken

Post #12   5/7/11 7:46:28PM