Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

GSP Trainer Explains Overhand Right Game Plan During Shields Fight at UFC 129

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

FastKnockout

TRICK 'R TREAT

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:1,856-1,025
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
If there was a criticism coming towards UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre following his win over Jake Shields in Toronto it was that once again he didn’t finish an opponent.

LINK

Post #1   5/4/11 2:37:45PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,566-910
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Well if he was trying to finish the fight like his trainer claims, it sure didn't look like it. The whole fight felt like a sparring match. Like he wanted to win and show he was the better fighter with out hurting his opponent.

I get all the arguments on the other side: "Shut up, he's winning fights and it works", "Don't fix it if it aint broke", "He's got too much to lose, why should he be taking risks." ect ect.

But at the end of the day this is still entertainment. The objective of the fight is to finish your opponent. The judges screw people over often enough that he should want finishes. If anything the greater risk is leaving it to the morons sitting at the judging tables.

I know he can finish fights. He used to do it all the time. He just needs to commit to his strikes and take some risks.

Post #2   5/4/11 3:11:47PM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,327-1,229
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by bjj1605

But at the end of the day this is still entertainment.

Yes, it's entertainment...to us. To GSP, it's a job and, at the end of the day, he's getting the job done and getting paid. Winning = more money. Just like you and I, it's up to him to work towards the bonuses (FOTN, SOTN, etc.).

Post #3   5/4/11 3:19:29PM   

FastKnockout

TRICK 'R TREAT

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:1,856-1,025
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by emfleek

Posted by bjj1605

Yes, it's entertainment...to us. To GSP, it's a job and, at the end of the day, he's getting the job done and getting paid. Winning = more money. Just like you and I, it's up to him to work towards the bonuses (FOTN, SOTN, etc.).

Couldn't agree more.

Post #4   5/4/11 4:10:27PM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,869-1,573
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by emfleek

Posted by bjj1605

You can take your logic and stuff it in a sack!

Post #5   5/4/11 4:31:24PM   

gravy13

Standup Guy

gravy13 Avatar

Career:347-224
Chips:
It would be easier to believe that GSP's getting the job done if he believed that himself. Have you heard Rogan ask him if he's pleased with how he performed? His answer the past few fights has been "no". That leads me to think that he knows he can do more.....

Post #6   5/4/11 6:35:48PM   

BeeR

MMA Sensei

BeeR Avatar

Career:681-411
Chips:
GSP is smart as hell. he's getting what EVERY fighter wants/requires.

IN RING EXPERIENCE.

you dont gain anything KOing or subbing someone real quick but a name, GSP already has a name. In his last 6 fights he has 129 minutes of fight time against top opponents in his class, who else can say that?, seriously, sure it would be nice to see him finish a fight, but Im not going to knock him for not doing so.

GSP is smarter then all of you that are bitching about him not finishing fights.

race car drivers dont pull in the pits after the fastest lap and call it a day, they keep driving, and complete the race

Post #7   5/4/11 7:29:09PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by gravy13

It would be easier to believe that GSP's getting the job done if he believed that himself. Have you heard Rogan ask him if he's pleased with how he performed? His answer the past few fights has been "no". That leads me to think that he knows he can do more.....

Totally agree. If GSP wants to be the kind of guy who goes to work and "just does his job", he has that right. But I don't have to like it. Skating by is just one step above slacking. He could be so much more than he is right now.

Posted by BeeR

GSP is smart as hell. he's getting what EVERY fighter wants/requires.

IN RING EXPERIENCE.

you dont gain anything KOing or subbing someone real quick but a name, GSP already has a name. In his last 6 fights he has 129 minutes of fight time against top opponents in his class, who else can say that?, seriously, sure it would be nice to see him finish a fight, but Im not going to knock him for not doing so.

GSP is smarter then all of you that are bitching about him not finishing fights.

race car drivers dont pull in the pits after the fastest lap and call it a day, they keep driving, and complete the race

What does he have to gain? How about a legacy? Would you rather be the guy known for outpointing everyone he fought or for totally and completely destroying them?

Thats why Anderson is still above GSP in most P4P rankings. He doesn't just win. He annihilates.

Post #8   5/4/11 8:21:29PM   

Cooler

Banned for Cheating

Cooler Avatar

Career:886-472
Camp: The Evolutionaries
Chips:
So GSP threw overhand rights eh? really lettin loose. haha....didnt watch the fight, everyone secretly knew George would make it boring again. I dont see how anyone cares to watch him anymore, he's clearly fighting not to lose and there is no one left at WW except Nick Diaz. GSP should have fought and lost to Anderson at this point, what hype can they possibly pull for anyone at WW vs. GSP...

Post #9   5/4/11 8:37:52PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Cooler

So GSP threw overhand rights eh? really lettin loose. haha....didnt watch the fight, everyone secretly knew George would make it boring again. I dont see how anyone cares to watch him anymore, he's clearly fighting not to lose and there is no one left at WW except Nick Diaz. GSP should have fought and lost to Anderson at this point, what hype can they possibly pull for anyone at WW vs. GSP...

You're definitely more extreme than I am, but whateva...

The thing I want to comment on is "There's no one left at WW except Nick Diaz". There's always someone left because fighters are constantly climbing the rankings. This is a BS argument. You can never clean out a divison. If he fights and beats Nick Diaz, then we'll say "There's no one left for GSP at WW except_____" and then when he beats that guy there will be someone else who had time to work his way into our good graces.

Edit: Maybe I came off a bit harsh. I'm not trying to attack you. Thats just one of many arguments I hear MMA fans spouting over and over again and I think there's no logic behind it.

Last edited 5/4/11 9:13PM server time by bjj1605
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #10   5/4/11 9:12:45PM   

jay98107

MMA Sensei

jay98107 Avatar

Career:2,884-1,626
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:

Posted by bjj1605

Posted by Cooler

You're definitely more extreme than I am, but whateva...

The thing I want to comment on is "There's no one left at WW except Nick Diaz". There's always someone left because fighters are constantly climbing the rankings. This is a BS argument. You can never clean out a divison. If he fights and beats Nick Diaz, then we'll say "There's no one left for GSP at WW except_____" and then when he beats that guy there will be someone else who had time to work his way into our good graces.

Edit: Maybe I came off a bit harsh. I'm not trying to attack you. Thats just one of many arguments I hear MMA fans spouting over and over again and I think there's no logic behind it.

You totally can clean out a division, he's just not quite there. Fitch, Koscheck, Shields, Alves all got totally dominated, and if they're beating the next best guys in the division, then you have a bunch of people GSP already smoked sitting in line for title shots. According to this websites rankings, GSP has beaten the #2,3,4,6, and 7th ranked fighters in the division. Diaz is at 5, and to me he is the only interesting matchup at WW remaining for GSP, but he hasn't even earned a shot really. Diaz, Condit, Sanchez, and Kampmann are the remaining ranked fighters, and none of them deserve a shot against GSP without beating a Fitch, Koscheck, Shields, or Alves. If those lower-half-of-top-10 guys can't beat at least one of those top 5 guys, they don't deserve a title shot, and GSP will have effectively cleaned out the division in my opinion (for those who are interested in those rematches, I suppose it's not cleaned out in your opinion).

Post #11   5/4/11 9:53:40PM   

decken

Standup Guy

decken Avatar

Career:471-314
Chips:
All I can say is if an H-bomb did not knock Jake out, what made GSP's trainer think GPS's weak ass overhand right could(I am sure it would hurt to get hit by either).

Last edited 5/5/11 1:12AM server time by decken
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #12   5/5/11 1:10:48AM   

icantthinkofanything

MMA Sensei

icantthinkofanything Avatar

Career:911-636
Camp: 360 Mafia
Chips:
GSP has gotta go Shane Carwin on his opponents, because he wont blow his load, his cardio is endless. that overhand had no shoulder or leg power in it, it was like halfway roundhouse, he didnt plant , he would throw withoutleaning to the side, and square his feet out. I think it looked haymakerish, but was innefective. He should put the body into it, or throw a straight right 1-2.

Post #13   5/5/11 11:51:09AM   

gravy13

Standup Guy

gravy13 Avatar

Career:347-224
Chips:

Posted by BeeR

UFC Fighters don't have to finish all 3 or 5 rounds to win a fight. Race Car Drivers have to finish all laps required to win the race. Not a good comparison.

Post #14   5/5/11 12:46:58PM   

Manak

Belt Contender

Manak Avatar

Career:164-106
Camp: UFC-PRIDE-MMA
Chips:
to me it comes down to one thing, his legacy.. gsp is one if my fav fighters n ill watch him everytime but one thing that he always talks about is being known as the greatest ever. if that is the case then he needs to finish ppl. just being better than everyone is not enough to be know as the greatest ever u have to destroy ppl n finish them hence y i put anderson n fedor before him because when they fought u felt bad for their opp shot i can see aldo passing him too. thats how i see it. to be know as the greatest ever like he wants then finish ppl

Post #15   5/5/11 12:56:07PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2