Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

How would Alvarez do in the UFC?

Print  
How would Eddie Alvarez do in the UFC?
Title holder 5 12%
Top 3 12 28%
Top 5 19 44%
Top 10 7 16%
Lose three fights in a row and be cut 0 0%
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

Biggz

Standup Guy

Biggz Avatar

Career:267-204
Camp: Untouchables
Chips:
Alvarez has been pretty vocal lately about ufc fighters not being as great as everyone thinks. I personally have not watched Eddie fight ( i plan on watching him fight tonight against Curran) so i cannot make any educated statement about it. I am just wondering what the general opinion is. So how would he do in the UFC?

ps. sorry if this has been discussed/beaten to death.

Post #1   4/2/11 2:03:24PM   

Chael_Sonnen

Follow.The.Buzzards

Chael_Sonnen Avatar

Career:1,277-785
Chips:
Title Holder

Post #2   4/2/11 2:05:55PM   

Budgellism

Randy

Budgellism Avatar

Career:2,983-1,702
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Alvarez is my favourite fighter (I've said it before, and I'll say it again) and I said top 3. It's hard to say really since he hasn't fought the caliber fighter that Edgar is yet. I think that would be hands down fight of the decade though as both are in my top 3 favourite fighters and they're both cardio machines that are super quick and well rounded.

There is absolutely no way he'd lose 3 fights in a row and get cut though. That much I'm certain. There are so many great fights for Alvarez in the ufc. It just needs to happen. He's not going to get the credit he deserves by beating guys like Toby Imada and Pat Curran (not saying they're bad fighters because they aren't).

His wins over Roger Huerta and Josh Neer shows he can hang with ufc caliber fighters (I still believe that both are ufc caliber, it's just they ran into some tough guys). Now I want to see if he can hang with the best of the best.

Post #3   4/2/11 2:36:07PM   

ncordless

MODulation

ncordless Avatar

Career:1,928-1,103
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
He'd be in the top rung. Eddie doesn't always fight smart, but he is really talented and has the all-around game to create a bad matchup with almost anyone.

Post #4   4/2/11 3:17:35PM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,928-1,077
Chips:
I think the fact that he and Edgar are each other's main training partners will keep both of them improving at a similar rate.

Easy top 3. He'd eat guys like Maynard and Guida for breakfast.

Post #5   4/2/11 3:37:54PM   

decken

Standup Guy

decken Avatar

Career:471-314
Chips:

Posted by Pookie

I think the fact that he and Edgar are each other's main training partners will keep both of them improving at a similar rate.

I also agree that he is top 3 but it is silly to say that he would eat Maynard. Who closest thing to a loss is a draw with Edgar the current Champ and a NC.

Or if you really think he would eat Maynard, he should be number one in your book.

Last edited 4/2/11 6:18PM server time by decken
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #6   4/2/11 6:16:51PM   

Lesnar1

In Full Mount

Lesnar1 Avatar

Career:611-404
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
I think Eddie could hang with the big dogs in the LW division his boxing is awesome, he has a decent ground game and overall has the skill set to compete with the best of the best. He should make the jump to UFC or Strikeforce and test himself against Melendez, Pettis and other top lightweights if he wants to be included in the conversation of top lightweight fighters in the world

Post #7   4/2/11 9:16:04PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,615-1,389
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
He would get a title shot within a year

Post #8   4/2/11 9:16:30PM   

Scamrock

Learning to Sprawl

Scamrock Avatar

Career:17-11
Chips:
I said top 3. With Penn, Florian, Sanchez, and Diaz out of the field, his chances increase exponentially. Those were all tough LW's who would be tough for him. Odds are, he would have ran into more than one of them. Now, the field is depleted, there has been a lot of parity at LW.

I think he had a solid chance before, but now, I think his chances would be great.

That said, I think that either he isn't as good as he thinks he is, or the UFC guys aren't as bad as he thinks they are. He pretty much said that they are just like any other fighters, only they get promoted better because they are in the UFC. The truth is, not only are they considered the best because they are in the UFC, but the reason they are even in the UFC is because they are among the best. Its not the same thing as if Shark Fights, or even his own home Bellator, started promoting their fighters better.

Post #9   4/3/11 12:38:31AM   

Malaussie

MMA Regular

Malaussie Avatar

Career:571-397
Chips:
I would love to see his UFC debut against Melvin Guillard!!!!! I reckon that would be a sick first fight for Alvarez in the UFC

Post #10   4/3/11 7:02:39PM   

Bloodhound

Standup Guy

Bloodhound Avatar

Career:1,054-599
Chips:

Posted by Scamrock

I said top 3. With Penn, Florian, Sanchez, and Diaz out of the field, his chances increase exponentially. Those were all tough LW's who would be tough for him. Odds are, he would have ran into more than one of them. Now, the field is depleted, there has been a lot of parity at LW.

I think he had a solid chance before, but now, I think his chances would be great.

That said, I think that either he isn't as good as he thinks he is, or the UFC guys aren't as bad as he thinks they are. He pretty much said that they are just like any other fighters, only they get promoted better because they are in the UFC. The truth is, not only are they considered the best because they are in the UFC, but the reason they are even in the UFC is because they are among the best. Its not the same thing as if Shark Fights, or even his own home Bellator, started promoting their fighters better.

Alvarez would destroy Florian, Sanchez, Diaz, and probably Penn at this point of his career.

Eddie Alvarez has the potential to be a title holder, His Boxing is very good for MMA standards, His wrestling is real good along with his top game and good submission game. Plus the Heart & Chin. Eddie would be a force in the UFC LW division.

Post #11   4/3/11 7:19:23PM   

TS92turbo

Standup Guy

TS92turbo Avatar

Career:48-23
Chips:
He would make Top 10 instantly, if he debuted in 6 months, it would take a year to be top 5.

Post #12   4/3/11 8:36:08PM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,928-1,077
Chips:

Posted by decken

Posted by Pookie

I also agree that he is top 3 but it is silly to say that he would eat Maynard. Who closest thing to a loss is a draw with Edgar the current Champ and a NC.

Or if you really think he would eat Maynard, he should be number one in your book.

I dont think its silly to say he'd eat maynard if i really think he'd eat maynard. Metaphorically of course, if he actually took a bite out of Maynard than i agree, that would be silly.

Styles make match-ups, how Alvarez does against Maynard does not showcase how he'd do against the rest of the division. Personally, i think Maynard has the right style to give Edgar fits, and thats why he's been so successful against him. But look at how successful Gray was against Nate Diaz, or Huerta, which was barely adequate at most.

Does that mean Huerta and Diaz are better fighters than Edgar because they've done better overall against Maynard? Of course not, one match-up should not dictate an overall ranking. Rankings should be based on how a fighter would do against the entirety of the division. In my opinion at least.

But yes, i think Alvarez would eat Maynard. Gray likes to exchange to set up his takedowns, but he rarely throws combinations and that should allow Alvarez to maintain distance and counter effectively with his much better striking. Alvarez trains with Edgar as his main sparring partner, so he also has one of the best takedown guys in the division to drill his sprawl against.

Post #13   4/3/11 11:01:39PM   

kingsmasher

BANNED

Career:258-155
Chips:
I would flat out say Alvarez has good stand up but lets be honest...His wrestling wasn't that good...He struggled on take downs didn't set them up very well...Well also have to admit Curran looked as though he was ready for the take down all fight..>When he did get a take down couldn't keep Curran down...I am strongly leaning towards Frankie and Maynard beating Alvarez...BJ would beat him and Jim Miller is about even I give Miller a slight edge...I think Someone like Melvin Gullard would be a nightmare matchup for Alvarez too..he been knocked down and his chin is suspect...I think at one point Curran had him hurt but didnt move in...

Post #14   4/4/11 11:47:42AM   

AchillesHeel

Heavyweight Champ

AchillesHeel Avatar

Career:845-448
Chips:
Eddie Alvarez vs. Melvin Guillard. Minimum safe distance: 10 km.

I voted for "Top 10." I wouldn't guarantee anything above that.

Post #15   4/4/11 1:41:51PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2