Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

I have a question...

Print  
Posted By Message

horstmeyer34

MMA Regular

horstmeyer34 Avatar

Career:576-439
Camp: Team Tiger's Blood
Chips:
Any Pro or Amatuer mma fighters here? Just would to know & to say, RESPECT.

Post #1   3/30/11 12:01:15AM   

DeadHead988

MMA Sensei

DeadHead988 Avatar

Career:367-289
Camp: Midwest Training Center
Chips:
Not officially an amateur fighter but I've been training for a while and hope to debut midway through 2011. It's tough though, as I don't have a strong wrestling background. I'm mainly a jiu-jitsu guy and somewhat unconventional. I train at MTC in Illinois with a great team of mostly undiscovered talent. The only real recognizable names I train with regularly are Clay Guida and Mike Lullo. Also, one of our guys might be on the next welterweights season of the ultimate fighter, but I'm not supposed to talk a whole lot about it.

Last edited 3/30/11 12:48AM server time by DeadHead988
Edit note/reason: n/a
2 total post edits

Post #2   3/30/11 12:32:39AM   

horstmeyer34

MMA Regular

horstmeyer34 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by DeadHead988 Not officially an amateur fighter but I've been training for a while and hope to debut midway through 2011. It's tough though, as I don't have a strong wrestling background. I'm mainly a jiu-jitsu guy and somewhat unconventional. I train at MTC in Illinois with a great team of mostly undiscovered talent. The only real recognizable names I train with regularly are Clay Guida and Mike Lullo. Also, one of our guys might be on the next welterweights season of the ultimate fighter, but I'm not supposed to talk a whole lot about it.
Yea i have also been training in hopes of competing one day. Haven't lately been trying to finish up school first. Alot of wrestling goes on where i train. Most the guys wrestled in High School & has created a good base for them. Josh Hinkle, Chris David, & Shawn Bias are probably the best my town has to offer.

Post #3   3/30/11 1:19:13AM   

decken

Standup Guy

decken Avatar

Career:471-314
Chips:
I am an amateur fighter. I fight at 170, 4-0 right now. Wrestling and Jiu Jitsu are my strong points. I have my first title defense on April 8th and I am stressing out about it .

DeadHead I would say don't worry about your wrestling to much(of course still practice the **** out of it but don't let it stress you out), if you have legit BJJ you can beat most amateur fighters. My experience is that most amateur fighters only train stand up hard and neglect the ground game because they want to go knock someone out. I would say 95% of amatuer fights goto the ground some way or the other. So as long as you have good enough stand up to survive on your feet you should do okay. Anyways that is my 2 cents on amateur fighting.

Post #4   3/30/11 1:43:01AM   

Budgellism

Randy

Budgellism Avatar

Career:2,847-1,629
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by decken

I am an amateur fighter. I fight at 170, 4-0 right now. Wrestling and Jiu Jitsu are my strong points. I have my first title defense on April 8th and I am stressing out about it .

DeadHead I would say don't worry about your wrestling to much(of course still practice the **** out of it but don't let it stress you out), if you have legit BJJ you can beat most amateur fighters. My experience is that most amateur fighters only train stand up hard and neglect the ground game because they want to go knock someone out. I would say 95% of amatuer fights goto the ground some way or the other. So as long as you have good enough stand up to survive on your feet you should do okay. Anyways that is my 2 cents on amateur fighting.

That's awesome man. Congrats on the solid start to your career. Any plans on going pro anytime soon? Also what have you won by?

Post #5   3/30/11 2:20:24AM   

DeadHead988

MMA Sensei

DeadHead988 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by decken

Thanks man, solid advice. Hopefully I can get started soon, I feel like I'm ready and I've put in countless hours. Best of luck to you in your title defense, you should look into turning pro soon. Also, if I didn't mention I'm a bantamweight.

Post #6   3/30/11 3:30:12AM   

Malaussie

MMA Regular

Malaussie Avatar

Career:571-397
Chips:
I haven't had any MMA fights but i have a 3-0 amateur kickboxing record i fight at 140lbs im if i start MMA i'll try and cut down to 135 but i need to work hard on my ground game (have sold BJJ but zero wrestling haha) before trying an MMA fight plus the lower weight classes haven't taken off down here so I don't think I would be able to get a fight at 135 down here

Post #7   3/30/11 9:30:51PM   

TS92turbo

Standup Guy

TS92turbo Avatar

Career:48-23
Chips:
Well I do Judo and BJJ. I want to find somewhere in Michigan where Guerilla JJ is taught. I figured I would wait about 2 more years, then try an Amateur MMA fight. I give Props to anyone who steps in a cage or ring. Respect

Post #8   3/30/11 10:35:02PM   

decken

Standup Guy

decken Avatar

Chips:

Posted by DeadHead988

Posted by decken

Thanks man, solid advice. Hopefully I can get started soon, I feel like I'm ready and I've put in countless hours. Best of luck to you in your title defense, you should look into turning pro soon. Also, if I didn't mention I'm a bantamweight.

Thanks! If this fight goes well my plan is to go pro.

Post #9   3/31/11 1:03:45AM   

horstmeyer34

MMA Regular

horstmeyer34 Avatar

Chips:
Where do you fight at? Ultimate Reno Comat is where the guys i trained with fight.

Post #10   3/31/11 1:17:01AM   

decken

Standup Guy

decken Avatar

Chips:

Posted by horstmeyer34

Where do you fight at?
Ultimate Reno Comat is where the guys i trained with fight.

Ha no way, I stopped by and trained with Rick about a month ago for a weekend. Maybe we rolled? I am at Boise Jiu Jitsu.

Post #11   3/31/11 9:18:04AM   

horstmeyer34

MMA Regular

horstmeyer34 Avatar

Chips:
Nah. i train with guys that fight in Rick's promotion.

Post #12   4/4/11 1:59:32AM   

DeadHead988

MMA Sensei

DeadHead988 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by TS92turbo

Well I do Judo and BJJ. I want to find somewhere in Michigan where Guerilla JJ is taught. I figured I would wait about 2 more years, then try an Amateur MMA fight. I give Props to anyone who steps in a cage or ring. Respect

Geurilla Jiu Jitsu is only taught at AKA now, as Dave Camarillo is exclusive to there now. It's not like 10th planet where there are multiple places to learn it. It's overrated in my opinion though.

Post #13   4/4/11 5:09:28AM