Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Korean Zombie's twister early pick for sub of the year????

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

Theoutlaw08

MMA Sensei

Theoutlaw08 Avatar

Career:771-549
Chips:
This past weekends event where the Korean Zombie subbed Lenny with a Twister (first ever in the UFC) Thoughts on this possibly being a early pick for Sub of the Year

Last edited 3/28/11 10:01PM server time by theoutlaw08
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #1   3/28/11 9:56:07PM   

SpicyMeatball

Learning to Sprawl

SpicyMeatball Avatar

Career:60-36
Chips:

Posted by Theoutlaw08

This past weekends event where the Korean Zombie subbed Lenny with a Twister (first ever in the UFC) Thoughts on this possibly being a early pick for Sub of the Year

It has to be a candidate. I've never seen the twister before, and I've heard it was the first time its ever been done in the UFC. That move is sick.

Post #2   3/28/11 10:34:57PM   

Lesnar1

In Full Mount

Lesnar1 Avatar

Career:605-398
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
So far this year nothing tops the "Korean Zombie's" Twister sub over Garcia it was a hell of a transition and finish. An Eddie Bravo special.

Last edited 3/29/11 4:20AM server time by Lesnar1

Post #3   3/29/11 4:19:44AM   

Theoutlaw08

MMA Sensei

Theoutlaw08 Avatar

Chips:
Yeah man, with one second left in the round too.

Post #4   3/29/11 8:51:40AM   

jjeans

Emma Watson Picture Incoming

jjeans Avatar

Career:1,199-717
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
The other candidates I can think of are Yves Edwards RNC on Cody if we're only saying UFC Subs
Korean Zombie would still get my pick

Thiago Silva nuthugger.

Admin of MMA Memes of Facebook. A Roundtable Analyst on The MMA Podcast. Journalist for MMA Mental.

Dirty Blue #DoItForWatson

Post #5   3/29/11 9:50:25AM   

Theoutlaw08

MMA Sensei

Theoutlaw08 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by jjeans

The other candidates I can think of are Yves Edwards RNC on Cody if we're only saying UFC Subs
Korean Zombie would still get my pick

Yeah the Edwards sub of Cody was pretty sweet, it was even sweeter cause I don't care for Cody much.

Post #6   3/29/11 10:31:09AM   

roadking95th

In Cael We Trust!

roadking95th Avatar

Career:1,351-714
Chips:
How is the twister any different than a guillotine in wrestling. It used to be legal when I was in school. I believe they changed the ruling on it. maybe you can't lock your hands around their head and arms or maybe you have to secure back points first? But anyhow, the move was a bitch, but I don't see anything special about it. We ran it, but just to the shoulders were flat. Never thought of it being a submission. Kind of reminds me of Hughes choking out Almeida. "nothing here to see, move on"

Post #7   3/31/11 1:14:24AM   

jgtribbett

MMA Sensei

jgtribbett Avatar

Career:553-358
Camp: Team BloodLoss
Chips:
A First time sub. Sub of the year, in the middle of an entertaining back and forth fight. Sub of the decade.

it isn't the same cause it involves a neck crank but bravo did take it from the wrestling move we know and love. Not to mention that the sub has a different opponent hip position than the guillatine. Basically its just a lil different than the wrestling move, a small hip placement difference and then a neck crank (which doesn't work without correct hip position).

Overall, no one has pulled it off in a major MMA competition like the zombie did. Its a milestone for the sport.. Unless someone hits a flying armbar... zombie should get it.

also check out Rumina Sato flying armbar if you've never seen it.. Sick and oldschool.

Last edited 3/31/11 2:35AM server time by jgtribbett
3 total post edits

Post #8   3/31/11 2:29:46AM   

roadking95th

In Cael We Trust!

roadking95th Avatar

Career:1,351-714
Chips:

Posted by jgtribbett

A First time sub. Sub of the year, in the middle of an entertaining back and forth fight. Sub of the decade.

it isn't the same cause it involves a neck crank but bravo did take it from the wrestling move we know and love. Not to mention that the sub has a different opponent hip position than the guillatine. Basically its just a lil different than the wrestling move, a small hip placement difference and then a neck crank (which doesn't work without correct hip position).

Overall, no one has pulled it off in a major MMA competition like the zombie did. Its a milestone for the sport.. Unless someone hits a flying armbar... zombie should get it.

also check out Rumina Sato flying armbar if you've never seen it.. Sick and oldschool.

Thank you for the clarification on the finer points of the move!

Post #9   3/31/11 1:20:29PM   

Simiroll

Learning to Sprawl

Simiroll Avatar

Career:7-4
Chips:

Posted by Lesnar1

So far this year nothing tops the "Korean Zombie's" Twister sub over Garcia it was a hell of a transition and finish. An Eddie Bravo special.

i don't think we'll see another submission that wicked this year....it should already be handed its trophy

Post #10   3/31/11 7:14:12PM   

Simiroll

Learning to Sprawl

Simiroll Avatar

Chips:

Posted by jgtribbett

in regards to sub of the decade...we taking about 2010-? right...

personally...one of the best submissions i saw during the last decade had to have been when nick diaz subbed gomi...it came out of nowhere and it was such a spectacular fight betweem the two. what a great way to end the fight...it was a shame they had to call it a no-contest cuz diaz likes the ganj...

Post #11   3/31/11 7:17:45PM   

BustedKnuckle

MMA Sensei

BustedKnuckle Avatar

Career:659-381
Chips:
The twister is definatly the front runner in SOTY , and it would take somthing spectacular to top it.

Post #12   3/31/11 8:43:33PM   

jgtribbett

MMA Sensei

jgtribbett Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Simiroll

Posted by jgtribbett

personally...one of the best submissions i saw during the last decade had to have been when nick diaz subbed gomi...it came out of nowhere and it was such a spectacular fight betweem the two. what a great way to end the fight...it was a shame they had to call it a no-contest cuz diaz likes the ganj...

# 2 in my opinion. if gomi woulda been in shape it wouldn't have happened (no disrespect to Diaz) and gogoplata has been done. My point of saying sub of the decade is that is the first time the twister has been pulled off on a large stage... EVER! That is history making. I just think that by default he gets it so far. When I say decade I'm really saying the last ten years. I dont imagine anyone will pull off something so genuinly outstanding in the next ten either. My opinion though.

also I didnt' enjoy the diaz/ gomi fight. not as much as I thought I would. gomi looked puzzled with diaz and way outta shape. I dont think he was prepared to fight like he could have been. irreguardless, good fight but not history making. no one but us pride fans remember it haha.

Last edited 4/1/11 2:56AM server time by jgtribbett

Post #13   4/1/11 2:54:57AM   

Simiroll

Learning to Sprawl

Simiroll Avatar

Chips:

Posted by jgtribbett

Posted by Simiroll

Posted by jgtribbett

# 2 in my opinion. if gomi woulda been in shape it wouldn't have happened (no disrespect to Diaz) and gogoplata has been done. My point of saying sub of the decade is that is the first time the twister has been pulled off on a large stage... EVER! That is history making. I just think that by default he gets it so far. When I say decade I'm really saying the last ten years. I dont imagine anyone will pull off something so genuinly outstanding in the next ten either. My opinion though.

also I didnt' enjoy the diaz/ gomi fight. not as much as I thought I would. gomi looked puzzled with diaz and way outta shape. I dont think he was prepared to fight like he could have been. irreguardless, good fight but not history making. no one but us pride fans remember it haha.

well to each his own...its true the gogoplata has been done before, but to me it was just more memorable because i had never seen it done before and i still havent seen it done by anyone else (at least the matches i've seen).

one still could make the argument still that Diaz's sub was a lil better for other reasons....it was only the 2nd time that PRIDE was in the US so it was also on the grand stage...plus the card was superstacked. it featured shogun vs alistair, and wandy vs hendo. KZ did his on UFN and it wasnt really a featured fight either IMO.

the fight couldve gone better for Gomi and i was also disappointed at how gassed he looked early into the fight. to me i thought it was a great fight more so because it went back and forth and had such a crazy ending. Gomi dropped Diaz...Diaz dropped Gomi...and it became a slugfest at the end of the 1st. And then to top it off, the submission came out of nowhere and Diaz pulled it off perfectly...

and good to know there's another PRIDE fan in the house lol

Post #14   4/1/11 6:42:53AM   

jgtribbett

MMA Sensei

jgtribbett Avatar

Chips:
I miss pride... tear.

Post #15   4/1/11 8:02:55PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2