Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Rule change I would like to happen

Print  
Would you be in favor of this?
Yes 3 13%
No 20 87%
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

tepid55

MMA Sensei

tepid55 Avatar

Career:3,072-1,682
Camp: Pride FC Forever
Chips:
I would like to see the UFC use the old Pancrase rules instead of the unified MMA rules.

Post #1   3/9/11 2:17:00PM   

Chael_Sonnen

Follow.The.Buzzards

Chael_Sonnen Avatar

Career:1,277-785
Chips:
NO!

Post #2   3/9/11 2:19:46PM   

Budgellism

Randy

Budgellism Avatar

Career:2,983-1,702
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
I would prefer Pride's rules without Soccer kicks to the head but with elbows to the head. I don't really know much about the Pancrase days though.

Post #3   3/9/11 3:20:24PM   

DeadHead988

MMA Sensei

DeadHead988 Avatar

Career:367-289
Camp: Midwest Training Center
Chips:
I hate to be so blunt, but that's an awful idea. If I remember correctly that means no strikes to the head other than kicks. At that point it's barely MMA

Post #4   3/9/11 5:07:58PM   

FastKnockout

THE RUTHLESS ONE

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:1,937-1,077
Chips:

Posted by Budgellism

I would prefer Pride's rules without Soccer kicks to the head but with elbows to the head. I don't really know much about the Pancrase days though.

I'd love to see Pat Barry soccer kick someone.

Post #5   3/9/11 5:08:13PM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:746-420
Chips:

Posted by FastKnockout

Posted by Budgellism

I'd rather see Shogun land another vintage soccer kick. No open hand slaps are..... well stupid. Rules I would like to see
Up Kicks to the head when your opponet is above you weather they are down or not. Knees to the head on the ground from any position other then North South. If not total knees this crap of putting your hand on the mat to make your 3 points of contact has got to go sooner then later.

Post #6   3/9/11 6:17:28PM   

ThaAxeMurderer7

MMA Sensei

ThaAxeMurderer7 Avatar

Career:1,277-814
Chips:

Posted by DeadHead988

I hate to be so blunt, but that's an awful idea. If I remember correctly that means no strikes to the head other than kicks. At that point it's barely MMA

I believe it's no closed fist strikes to the head of an opponent. Open palm strikes are allowed if i'm not mistaken. I know what you mean though. I wouldn't want to see this in the UFC.

Post #7   3/10/11 4:34:51PM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Career:1,550-909
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
Every rule set makes up for interesting dynamics in the fights, but personally I would say no to pancrase rules in the UFC,though i'm not against pancrase rules either.

I would rather see Pride rules in UFC.

Post #8   3/10/11 5:16:05PM   

tepid55

MMA Sensei

tepid55 Avatar

Career:3,072-1,682
Camp: Pride FC Forever
Chips:
I think that the old pancrase rules would be easier to accept than the Pride rules, the old pancrase rules are much less violent.

Post #9   3/10/11 10:10:26PM   

Budgellism

Randy

Budgellism Avatar

Chips:

Posted by tepid55

I think that the old pancrase rules would be easier to accept than the Pride rules, the old pancrase rules are much less violent.

Honestly, that would be awful and would turn A LOT of fans away from the ufc. Violence comes with the sport and it always will. It adds a great level of excitement to the situation as well. These people are fighters, they understand the risks and they choose to accept them anyways.

Post #10   3/11/11 1:55:37PM   

Budgellism

Randy

Budgellism Avatar

Chips:

Posted by postman

Posted by FastKnockout

Posted by Budgellism

I'd rather see Shogun land another vintage soccer kick. No open hand slaps are..... well stupid. Rules I would like to see
Up Kicks to the head when your opponet is above you weather they are down or not. Knees to the head on the ground from any position other then North South. If not total knees this crap of putting your hand on the mat to make your 3 points of contact has got to go sooner then later. [/QUOTE

I said what I said with Shogun in mind. I love him as a fighter. He's one of my favourites and in my opinion he would be a much more dominant champion if he could use his full arsenal but soccer kicks can be extremely violent and despite my post above I believe that there is a limit and soccer kicks and stomps push that limit. Shogun was deadly with his soccer kicks and his stomps but he was pretty good with his knees on the ground as well if I recall.

I completely agree about the knees on the ground. It's a rule that has bothered me for a long time. I felt the same way about elbows to the head in pride. I mean if you can stomp a guy what's the issue with adding an extra weapon to ground and pound attacks?

I would definitely like to see Barry throwing soccer kicks as well. He'd destroy people with his kicks. I'm not against soccer kicks by any means, I actually love the idea of them. But in North America it just doesn't make sense. We need to grow the fan base and soccer kicks won't help that cause.

Post #11   3/11/11 2:18:01PM   

FlashyG

Heavyweight Champ

FlashyG Avatar

Career:2,427-1,358
Chips:
Here are the old Pancrase rules for anyone who's unaware of what they are.

Aside from the traditional grappling rules (e.g., no biting, no eye-gouging) the rules were formerly as follows:
No elbows to the head (neither while standing nor on the ground).
No closed-fist strikes to the head (neither while standing nor on the ground).
No knees to the head on the ground. No kicks/stomps to the head on the ground.
If a participant gets too close to the ropes, he is stood back up on the feet. (as opposed to PRIDE's recentering in the middle of the ring)
Non-title matches consist of one 15 minute round, while title matches consist of one 30 minute round.
If a participant is caught in a submission and taps out (whether unable to reach the ropes or not), it is a loss. Five "escapes" are given to each fighter at the start of every match. An escape can be used when caught in a submission near the ropes, in which case the participant can grab them, be stood back on the feet and have one point deducted. Once a participant has used all of his escapes, it is a loss.
For knockouts, a ten-count similar to boxing and kickboxing is used. If the participant is unable to answer the ten-count, it is declared a TKO and that fighter has lost the match. However, if the participant is able to answer the ten-count, the fight resumes and one point is deducted.
If, at the end of regulated time, neither fighter has submitted, been knocked out, or lost all their points, a decision is rendered based on who lost fewer points. If neither fighter lost any points, or both lost the same number of points, the fight is declared a draw.

The Knockout rule is a dealbreaker for me, the 10 count system doesn't work in MMA. If you need 10 seconds to be able to get to your feet with no opposition, you have a serious concussion and the fight is over.

Besides a fight is supposed to be violent, as are most of the sports I watch.

Last edited 3/11/11 2:21PM server time by FlashyG
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #12   3/11/11 2:18:50PM   

TS92turbo

Standup Guy

TS92turbo Avatar

Career:48-23
Chips:
PRIDE Rules means we could see the old Shogun, Wandy, and many others.

Ive been dying to see Shogun land his trademarked heel on someone elses chin flying from above.

Post #13   3/24/11 10:59:17PM   

State_Champ

MMA Sensei

State_Champ Avatar

Career:1,522-905
Camp: The Evil Empire
Chips:

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

NO!

Post #14   3/24/11 11:35:03PM   

roadking95th

In Cael We Trust!

roadking95th Avatar

Career:1,351-714
Chips:
I can honestly say the ONLY rule I would consider is the 15 minute non title fight and 30 minute round for a title fight. I believe both could lead to more finishes.

Post #15   3/27/11 3:33:10PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2