Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Greg Jackson Fires Back at Dana White Over Recent Criticism

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,363-1,248
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
MMA trainer Greg Jackson isn't pleased with some of the recent comments coming from UFC president Dana White, so he decided to do something about it. With White criticizing the Jackson camp for what he describes as a boring, conservative approach to fights, Jackson is firing back with a weapon of his own: statistical analysis.

On Monday night Jackson sent MMA Fighting an email listing all the bonus awards and finishes tallied by his fighters in Zuffa events in 2010. The list includes the names of 20 Jackson camp fighters who competed in the UFC or WEC in 2010, but perhaps the most telling figure is the distribution of UFC's bonuses after each event, Jackson explained.

"Here's a quick stat for you. So there's been 22 [UFC events] this year? We had 12 bonuses so far this year," Jackson said in a phone interview. "So one out of every two, one of my fighters got Submission of the Night, Knockout of the Night, or Fight of the Night."

LINK

Post #1   11/30/10 11:46:17AM   

MaxOne

Captain Doctor

MaxOne Avatar

Career:862-586
Camp: Team Syntax
Chips:
even though he's right Dana doesn't seem like the type of guy you can reason with. I could see dana not giving the bonus to a Jackson fighter in the future just to be a punk. hopefully not. Greg needs to also realize that the fights that are going to stand out are the most recent main events and co main events.

Post #2   11/30/10 12:18:49PM   

tallica62

MMA Sensei

tallica62 Avatar

Career:2,051-1,270
Camp: Playground Bullies
Chips:

Posted by MaxOne

even though he's right Dana doesn't seem like the type of guy you can reason with. I could see dana not giving the bonus to a Jackson fighter in the future just to be a punk. hopefully not. Greg needs to also realize that the fights that are going to stand out are the most recent main events and co main events.

i totally agree

Post #3   11/30/10 12:50:20PM   

Sir_Karl

MMA Sensei

Sir_Karl Avatar

Career:2,324-1,566
Chips:
22 UFCs in 2010 x 3 bonuses per event = 66 bonuses, Jackson Camp fighters won 12 of them. 12 out of 66 is less than 1/5. I would like to see the same stats from the other camps. How many fighters does the Jackson Camp have anyhow?

Last edited 11/30/10 1:11PM server time by Sir_Karl
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #4   11/30/10 1:08:58PM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,952-1,623
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by MaxOne

even though he's right Dana doesn't seem like the type of guy you can reason with. I could see dana not giving the bonus to a Jackson fighter in the future just to be a punk. hopefully not.

Dana can definitely be petty at times, but I'm not sure that makes sense. So, if a Jackson fighter goes out there and does exactly what he's asking of him, he'll punish him? Sounds very counter productive, even for the most petty of people.

Post #5   11/30/10 1:13:08PM   

icantthinkofanything

MMA Sensei

icantthinkofanything Avatar

Career:911-636
Camp: 360 Mafia
Chips:
Jackson left me wondering during Hardy vs GSP, "don't pass!"But otherwise Jackson does not run a point fighting camp imo.
GSP and Rashad have gotten some UD's, but they have finished in the past. same with Melvin.

I think Dana White is taking out his anger about Nate losing to Okami. Nate may have seemed a more popular fight than a Okami fight -business wise.-imo

does the UFC want winners or exciting fighters?

I liked what someone said about having an official ranking system in the UFC to make it similiar to boxing

only in that, ranking alone chooses contenders, not style , presonality or favortism which can sometimes happen in the UFC imo. ie Lesnar title shot from 1 win

Last edited 11/30/10 2:31PM server time by icantthinkofanything

Post #6   11/30/10 2:29:49PM   

vomitshovel

MMA Regular

vomitshovel Avatar

Career:136-93
Camp: Xtreme Fight Militia
Chips:
Dana should remember... He is a fight PROMOTER. Not a fight expert. Not a fighter psychologist.
Greg Jackson raises a perfect point, and looking at his fighters, i see nothing boring. I think it was an uneducated thing to say, and like one of those times when you say " ALL THE GIRLS i dated in high school were perfect 10's!!! -think- ....um except that ONE...... oh and that other one, and hold on one or 2 more..." and eventually you realize how wrong you are.
Simple statistics always wins

Post #7   11/30/10 2:31:02PM   

Playground_Samurai

I EAT POOP

Playground_Samurai Avatar

Career:2,359-1,249
Camp: Hand Grenade Hillbillies
Chips:

Posted by Sir_Karl

22 UFCs in 2010 x 3 bonuses per event = 66 bonuses, Jackson Camp fighters won 12 of them. 12 out of 66 is less than 1/5. I would like to see the same stats from the other camps. How many fighters does the Jackson Camp have anyhow?

As he said, 20 Jackson Camp fighters fought for the UFC this year. And he was also going off the number of events held. I'd say 1 bonus for every 2 events for a Jackson Camp fighter is pretty good.

Post #8   11/30/10 2:36:23PM   

MaxOne

Captain Doctor

MaxOne Avatar

Career:862-586
Camp: Team Syntax
Chips:

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by MaxOne

even though he's right Dana doesn't seem like the type of guy you can reason with. I could see dana not giving the bonus to a Jackson fighter in the future just to be a punk. hopefully not.

Dana can definitely be petty at times, but I'm not sure that makes sense. So, if a Jackson fighter goes out there and does exactly what he's asking of him, he'll punish him? Sounds very counter productive, even for the most petty of people.

I totally agree but Dana doesn't always seem "logical."

If Greg didn't say anything to argue with Dana and then a Jackson fighter went out there and put on a show... I could see Dana rewarding them and making a point to mention something like "it's good to see the Jackson camp making an effort to put on a show & finish fights for the fans." It would be driving home Dana's initial complaint and making it appear like they listened to him.

Now that Jackson fired back I could see Dana doing the opposite. If a Jackson fighter gets another reward Jackson can say..."see, i told you so. we haven't changed a thing. It's business as usual over here."

I hope I'm wrong but I've dealt w/personalities like Dana in business my whole adult life and they can be very counter productive (especially in the micro) if it makes them look right. They use every opportunity to make it seem like they are teaching those around them when often they are using things that support their statements and ignoring things that would work against what they've said no matter how outlandish their statements may have been.

who is over thinking this?
it's me!

Post #9   11/30/10 3:33:50PM   

jay98107

MMA Sensei

jay98107 Avatar

Career:2,978-1,663
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:

Posted by Sir_Karl

I think 1/5 is pretty good, considering it's only one camp.

Post #10   11/30/10 4:17:54PM   

Mackavelli

MMA Regular

Mackavelli Avatar

Career:1,439-744
Camp: War Room Warriors
Chips:
Perfect response from Greg Jackson. He doesn't bicker or throw insults, hes not immature about it and rather than argue he shows facts in the form of statistics to prove his point. Bravo.

Post #11   11/30/10 4:40:56PM   

FastKnockout

THE RUTHLESS ONE

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:1,937-1,077
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
I think Dana has too much influence when it comes to releasing fighters, fight match-ups, and giving out the fight awards. Just my opinion.

Releasing fighters - Dana seems to be too close on a personal level to some of the fighters. Certain fighters shouldn't be released or cut just because Dana wants it. It's not fair to the fighters or the fans. It's like Dana having his own personal toy chest and throwing away his toys whenever he gets bored. I understand that Dana is president, but he's also known to be biased towards fighters.

Fight awards - The same as releasing fighters, basically. Dana shouldn't be the one allowed to decide who the bonus goes to. Example that comes to my head, Mir .vs. Crocop in which Mir didn't KO Of The Night even though he had the only knockout. I just don't think Dana should have the opportunity to decide all this when he can obviously be very biased.

Post #12   11/30/10 5:55:05PM   

Cdellorso

In Full Mount

Cdellorso Avatar

Career:647-447
Camp: Wild Wind
Chips:

Posted by FastKnockout

Fight awards - Example that comes to my head, Mir .vs. Crocop in which Mir didn't KO Of The Night even though he had the only knockout. I just don't think Dana should have the opportunity to decide all this when he can obviously be very biased.

I somewhat agree-
you cant praise a kid who got a 1st place metal in wrestling when you where the only kid on the chart-

Mir was NOT impressive that fight but I dont think he did so poorly that he shouldnt get the KO bonus.... HMMMM Dan has the power.....

Post #13   11/30/10 10:17:46PM   

Bubbles

Come at me bro

Bubbles Avatar

Career:1,153-681
Chips:
its obvious Greg Jackson employs boring, point fighters such as:

Carwin
Stevenson
Cerrone
Guillard
Condit
Bones
Sanchez
Marquardt
Florian
Jason Macdonald
Garcia
Schaub

oh and cant forget GSP who only lays on top of his opponent never looking to finish or advance position.

Last edited 11/30/10 11:28PM server time by Bubbles

Men be careful, female sexual predators are using a date rape drug called a Blowjob to trap men into scams called relationships.

Post #14   11/30/10 10:48:20PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,598-933
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by icantthinkofanything

Jackson left me wondering during Hardy vs GSP, "don't pass!"But otherwise Jackson does not run a point fighting camp imo.
GSP and Rashad have gotten some UD's, but they have finished in the past. same with Melvin.

It was actually really solid advice. Every time GSP passed to side control Hardy was able to stand up. From a jiu jistu perspective, side control is a better position than guard or half guard. In MMA it isn't always that black and white. From guard and especially half guard you can keep you opponents hips/legs pinned to the mat to prevent him from standing up. This also means you can posture up to land shots. You can't do either in side control. Randy Couture has been a big advocate of this same position scheme.

I think Dana has too much influence when it comes to releasing fighters, fight match-ups, and giving out the fight awards. Just my opinion. Releasing fighters - Dana seems to be too close on a personal level to some of the fighters. Certain fighters shouldn't be released or cut just because Dana wants it. It's not fair to the fighters or the fans. It's like Dana having his own personal toy chest and throwing away his toys whenever he gets bored. I understand that Dana is president, but he's also known to be biased towards fighters. Fight awards - The same as releasing fighters, basically. Dana shouldn't be the one allowed to decide who the bonus goes to. Example that comes to my head, Mir .vs. Crocop in which Mir didn't KO Of The Night even though he had the only knockout. I just don't think Dana should have the opportunity to decide all this when he can obviously be very biased.

The single most ludicrous post I have seen on these forums.

If Dana doesn't decide, who should? He's the president of the damn company. His "biased towards fighters" is a bosses performance rating. If I showed up to work late and didn't work hard, my boss probably wouldn't like me as much as someone who was punctual and did a better job.

Post #15   11/30/10 11:48:24PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2