Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

HELP ! - Strange Betting 'odds' - Explain

Print  
Posted By Message

GladHeAteHer

Learning to Sprawl

GladHeAteHer Avatar

Career:521-340
Chips:
Evening fella's , since i managed (somehow) to finish 1st on the UFC117 picks i've decided to take up the fantasy wagers game too, seeing as i win quite a bit of money on football results , only instead of normal odds being given as 2/5 , 7/4 , evens or 9/2 they're listed as -300 or + 300 .

Can anyone explain what that means as i've never seen it before , cheers.

Post #1   8/27/10 1:49:51PM   

Basshandsome

Standup Guy

Basshandsome Avatar

Career:2,554-1,399
Camp: Canadian Power Team
Chips:

Moneyline odds are favoured by American bookmakers. There are two possibilities, the figure quote can be either positive or negative.

Moneyline odds are often referred to as American odds. Moneyline refers to odds on the straight-up outcome of a game with no consideration to a point spread.

Positive figures
If the figure quoted is positive, the odds are quoting how much money will be won on a $100 wager (this is done if the odds are better than even). Fractional odds of 4/1 would be quoted as +400, while fractional odds of 1/4 cannot be quoted as a positive figure.
Negative figures
If the figure quoted is negative, then the moneyline odds are quoting how much money must be wagered to win $100 (this is done if the odds are worse than even). Fractional odds of 1/4 would be quoted as -400, while fractional odds of 4/1 cannot be quoted as a negative figure.
Even odds
Even odds are quoted as +100 or -100. Some bookmakers display the negative symbol while others do not.

(Copied from wikipedia)

Hope that helps

Post #2   8/27/10 2:23:17PM   

DCRage

Representin' The MA's

DCRage Avatar

Career:978-738
Chips:
Simpler explanation:
The guy with the "-" next to the number is the favorite, the guy with the "+" is the underdog. In fights where both have a "-", the guy with the higher number is the favorite.
For the favorites, the "-" indicates how much you must bet on them to win $100 (plus your original bet). So if a fighter is -200, you must bet $200 on them to win $100, but you get your original bet back so your total win is $300. Easy way: Think of a "-" as "If I bet $100 on this guy, I would win that percent of $100 more".
For the underdogs, "+" indicates how much you win if you bet $100. So if a fighter is +200, you would win your original $100 AND another $200 for a total win of $300. So if a guy is +250, you would win 2 1/2 times your original bet. So think of underdogs like favorites but multiply instead of divide.
Examples from tomorrow's UFC 118 wagers:
Frank Edgar is +290.
BJ Penn is -315.
If you bet $100 on Edgar and he wins, you win $290 on top of your original $100 for a total of $390.
If you bet $100 on Penn and he wins, you win $31 on top of your original $100 for a total of $131. You would have to bet $315 on Penn to make an extra $100, for a toal of $415.

When you make wagers the game will tell you automatically how much you would make if that fighter wins, so play around with it to get a feel for the odds and how the wagers are determined.

There are also parlays, which string together bets on 2 or 3 different fighters into one bet. It's much more difficult to win because if one of your picks loses, the entire bet loses. But if all your picks win, the potential exists for massive payouts. You can only bet up to half your current bankroll in a parlay.

Last edited 8/27/10 2:35PM server time by DCRage
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #3   8/27/10 2:34:05PM