Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Book Recommendations

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

Basshandsome

Standup Guy

Basshandsome Avatar

Career:2,478-1,348
Camp: Canadian Power Team
Chips:
Hey, I was wondering if anyone has some good book recommendations for me. I like books on sports and crime but will take all recommendations into consideration. Any good boxing or mma book recommendations would be great as well. Feel free to list some of your favorite books. Thanks.

Post #1   4/13/10 6:47:00AM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Career:534-389
Chips:
One of the best books I have read in a very long time is Suite Francaise by Irene Nemirovsky. I had to read it for a graduate class in history but it was an amazing read. It's considered to be historical fiction. The book was supposed to be a five part series but Mrs. Nemirovsky was sent to Auschwitz and gassed before she could finish. It's actually being made into a movie right now. This probably would have been one of the greatest literary works of all time if she hadn't been murdered by the Nazis. The letters in the back of the book of her husband trying to find her and have her saved from the extermination camp in Appendix 2 are absolutely soul-crushing and seriously brought me to tears. It sounds really depressing but you have to keep in mind that stuff like that happened and if we choose to avoid it we let it die with the past. I can promise you would really enjoy the book.

Post #2   4/13/10 7:03:00AM   

DCRage

Representin' The MA's

DCRage Avatar

Career:978-738
Chips:
As far as sports & crime go, definitely check out "The Rookie" by Scott Sigler (available in hardcover and as a FREE audiobook) and on the crime end check out the Jack Palms Crime series by Seth Harwood (a couple of them are out now, he's also done 4 audiobooks in the series so far, all are free). Another one I'd recommend for sports is "One Fall", a book from a few years back by Spencer Baum. He's doing it as an audiobook right now but he's also made the entire book available free in PDF format.
For MMA, Sigler also did an interesting MMA-themed one called "Title Fight", which is a free audiobook incorporating some MMA elements into its futuristic storyline.

Post #3   4/13/10 7:05:17AM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Career:1,462-848
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
1. House of Leaves by Mark Z Danielwiski (I might have spelled the last name wrong). Simply one of the best and scariest books i have ever read in my entire life. If you do happen to get this book I also suggest getting the CD "Haunted" by Poe. It's a companion to the book.

2. Total MMA . This book is so great and travels through the entire history of the sport. My favirote topic of the book is Guy mezgers' shoot off on the Pancrase organization and what he thought of them. Their's also a small part of the book dedicated to the Fertitta families involment within a crime syndicate which is pretty interesting to read about too.

3. Finnegans Wake. Hard book to read but when you have moments of breakthrough in understanding it,you just want to scream with joy from the top of your lungs. I really wouldn't consider this one a recommendation but more of a "When you get a chance try this one out".

4. The Gracie Way. A pretty intertaining book celebrating the most famous faces of mma's first family. their's a lot of interesting stories in this book,though I do question the authenticity of some of them.

5. Brawl by Eric Krauss. Though its not as contemperary as Total MMA, Brawl has some real great stories about some of my favirote mma fighters in it. Bas Rutten getting into tussles with Russian bouncers and Rorion Gracie embarrsing a very famous kickboxing star. If you like stories like that check this book out.

6. The Power of Myth. Joseph campbell with Bill Moyers. This book,which is also a PBS video special quiet simply changed my life.You might not have the same type of revelation I did but Campbells knowledge in this one volume (of many) is enough to give you life lessons for a lifetime!

7. Jurassic Park. Yeah I know this is already a movie but if you did enjoy the movie the book has quiet a bit more depth to it and has a lot of pivotal differences from the film. Actually the two are pretty much different on the exception of the Dinosaurs.

8. If Chins could kill,confessions of a B movie actor. This is Bruce campbells biography and is so funny and so hard to put down. If you're a fan of his films (Evil Dead,Army of Darkness) or want to learn some suprsing secrets about the film industry this book is well worth two or three reads.

Last edited 4/13/10 7:20AM server time by mrsmiley
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #4   4/13/10 7:20:16AM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Chips:
Aside from what I have already mentioned here are some complete winners that every man should have.

I Hope They Serve Beer in Hell by Tucker Max. If you have seen the movie then you know this book is a complete winner. Personally, I think it's one of the funniest books I have ever read and highly recommend it to any man.

Men Are Greater Than Women by Dick Masterson. Easily the most misogynist book I have ever read in my life and literally had me laughing out loud on a plane ride home from Nashville, TN. You don't necessarily need to agree with everything he says but it's all pretty damn hilarious. You can read some of it on his website.

The Alphabet of Manliness by Maddox. Again, similar to the other two in the fratire approach but Maddox has always made me laugh.

Post #5   4/13/10 7:25:26AM   

Copenhagen

Good for Body and Soul

Copenhagen Avatar

Career:1,075-589
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
One of my favorites that I'm sure anyone would enjoy: "Breakfast of Champions" by Kurt Vonnegut.

Also, if you like True Crime, "The Ice Man: Confessions of a ***** Contract Killer" is a good one. It's a biography on Richard Kuklinski, who is believed to have killed over 100 people, and took part in the killings of Jimmy Hoffa and Gambino boss Paul Castellano.

Post #6   4/13/10 10:24:23AM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Chips:
The point being here, you have enough books to last you at least several months HAHA. Really, all of these sound interesting.

Post #7   4/13/10 6:14:34PM   

Boo_Radley21

Heavyweight Champ

Boo_Radley21 Avatar

Career:605-425
Chips:
Life of Pi was an awesome book

Post #8   4/13/10 6:18:26PM   

BeeR

MMA Sensei

BeeR Avatar

Career:681-411
Chips:
we stand alone

stephen d'ambrose
Its the book band of brothers was taken from

Post #9   4/13/10 6:23:33PM   

haggiswashere

MMA Sensei

haggiswashere Avatar

Career:384-281
Camp: SKADUSH!!!!
Chips:
Child 44 is really good.

Post #10   4/13/10 6:46:05PM   

JoeySteel

MMA Regular

JoeySteel Avatar

Career:1,364-991
Chips:
here is a good one for fight fans. called The Fighter. A little bit of a rip off from Palahniuk's Fight Club in terms of style, it is a little cheesy, and the writer Craig Davidson is still getting wet behind the ears, but over all an entertaining book, even if a touch immature. Rust and Bone was decent too, but the Fighter was better.

If you like crime you prob. already read Elmore Leonard, but I thought I should take a shot. I love his stuff. A bit patriarchal, not the most progressive dude, and I think he has basically written the same story 60 times, but it is good stuff nonetheless. Tishomingo Blues is a good one to pick up and look at if you have not given him a chance in a while.

and Anything by Cormac McCarthy is AWESOME. I recommend Blood Meridian, super violent, super compelling, one of the best written books i have ever touched. No Country For Old Men and the Road are MUCH easier to read, Blood Meridian is a tough style at first.

if you want some more I would love to chat. holler.

Post #11   4/14/10 9:37:07AM   

tcunningham

Combat Sport and Fitness

tcunningham Avatar

Career:508-351
Chips:
Guadalcanal diaries. not to sure of the author cause i lost the book, but its an awesome in depth story of the guadalcanal battle written by a guy that was with the marines when they landed on Guadalcanal.

Got fight by forrest griffin. its an easy read thats pretty funny and is a great way to get away from the serious book. Griffin's pretty hilarious.

Post #12   4/14/10 4:03:53PM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,849-1,024
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
the 48 laws of power - tells you anythin you would ever need to know to take over a small pacific island with just your wit and your balls. Probably the best book ive ever read.

Misquoting Jesus - Insightful in letting you know what happened with the bible after in was put together.

Post #13   4/14/10 8:15:26PM   

CanadianCripplr

MMA Regular

CanadianCripplr Avatar

Career:1,392-783
Camp: Canadian Power Team
Chips:
Bret Harts new book is a great read. He actually made cassette tapes and a log of his travels since the late 70s. Tells some unreal behind the scene of wrestling stories.

Post #14   4/14/10 8:27:44PM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Chips:
I need to pick up Bret's new book. I've heard nothing but amazing things about it.

Post #15   4/14/10 8:35:54PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2