Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Roy Nelson vs Minotauro

Print  
Posted By Message

BeeR

MMA Sensei

BeeR Avatar

Career:681-411
Chips:
I think this would be a slick match up for both fighters.
Do you think their ground game would cancel each other out?

thoughts?

Ad: FanDuel launches Mixup, a fun version of daily fantasy sports

Post #1   4/3/10 9:58:30AM   

SmileR

Buy the ticket, take the ride

SmileR Avatar

Career:1,284-761
Chips:
I think Nog is too much of a step up for Big Country. Nelson has got sick BJJ but Nog's in above that and he's a much better boxer. He can throw pwer shots but he's too slow to catch Nog.
Nog's head movement and footwork should give him the advantage and his BJJ I think out classes Nelsons, but I can see the comparison.
I like Big Country but I doubt he'll ever be more than a gate keeper in the UFC.

I was born to lead, not to read!!!!

Post #2   4/3/10 11:24:57AM   

seanfu

BANNED

seanfu Avatar

Career:233-122
Chips:
I think if nothing else he'd kill Nog in the standup. Doesn't matter how technical you are when you're slow and your chin is mediocre. I think the compact powerful strikers will at least knock nog down a few times. Who knows on the ground.

I will tell you i'm no purple belt but it's damn near impossible for anyone of the blue belt range to actually sub me simply because of how short my limbs are/ how compact i am, so idk if big nog would be able to sub roy nelson on the ground or not.

Post #3   4/3/10 11:33:06AM   

sbulldavid

Heavyweight Champ

sbulldavid Avatar

Career:2,116-1,275
Chips:
Everybody loves to hate Fedor and Brock, but some how we think of Nog and Couture like these invincible myths. They both are past their prime and really haven't done anything special lately. I would pick Nelson over Nog right now, because Nog's boxing is so overrated, just like Lil Nog's ground game, those are two separate fighters, I don't think people realize that some times. Nelson wins a decision, by being on top more often than Nog.

Post #4   4/3/10 1:12:57PM   

jae_1833

Chin-tastic!

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:4,876-3,226
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
I haven't completely lost faith in Big Old Noggin, but I do think that this fight actually makes sense right now. Roy deserves a shot at a known fighter and Nog needs a win over an young upstart. I think it's a fight that should happen.

Post #5   4/3/10 2:52:06PM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:2,212-1,253
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Nog's hands are way faster than nelson's, anyone thinking that nog is slower is out of their mind. He may not have very good mobility, but hed unload on Nelson first and accurately.

Post #6   4/3/10 5:31:06PM   

tepid55

MMA Sensei

tepid55 Avatar

Career:5,407-3,129
Camp: Pride FC Forever
Chips:
I think Nogueira is a better striker, wrestler, and submission grappler than Nelson.

Post #7   4/3/10 6:55:09PM   

BeeR

MMA Sensei

BeeR Avatar

Career:681-411
Chips:

Posted by sbulldavid

Everybody loves to hate Fedor and Brock, but some how we think of Nog and Couture like these invincible myths. They both are past their prime and really haven't done anything special lately. I would pick Nelson over Nog right now, because Nog's boxing is so overrated, just like Lil Nog's ground game, those are two separate fighters, I don't think people realize that some times. Nelson wins a decision, by being on top more often than Nog.

I dont see it that way at all, I see Nelson winning by TKO or KO.
i think the Nogs are completely opposite with big nog having the ground and lil nog with the striking. I think roy would handle himself quite well in the ground leading to a TKO, if he didnt score one before it went to the ground
Id put a good chunk of money on it with confidence.

Last edited 4/3/10 9:01PM server time by BeeR
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #8   4/3/10 8:57:53PM   

chickmagnet

MMA Sensei

chickmagnet Avatar

Career:529-344
Camp: The Pit
Chips:
It would be a good matchup. If Roy landed flush it would be lights out, but i dont think Roy would wanna mess with the ground

Post #9   4/5/10 3:05:31PM   

warglory

Heavyweight Champ

warglory Avatar

Career:535-344
Chips:

Posted by Pookie

Nog's hands are way faster than nelson's, anyone thinking that nog is slower is out of their mind. He may not have very good mobility, but hed unload on Nelson first and accurately.

Based on what? Nog's boxing has looked terrible in virtually every fight he has had in the UFC and Nelson has had two consecutive KO's.

Post #10   4/5/10 5:55:43PM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:2,212-1,253
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by warglory

Posted by Pookie

Based on what? Nog's boxing has looked terrible in virtually every fight he has had in the UFC and Nelson has had two consecutive KO's.

I disagree, i think He destroyed Herring. He got caught by a kick and then won the rest of the fight by domination.

He beat Couture because he unloads fast and accurately, putting together strings of combo's that caught him repeadedly.

In Tim sylvia it was the reach advantage that made it so hard for nog. Nog couldnt land anything without being in danger of being hit back. Nelson Doesnt have the speed, power, or range on his boxing that Sylvia had back then.

He's never been all that good at getting in, but against roy nelson he wont have to. A distinct reach advantage and hand quickness gives him the advantage of pressing his will like he could against Couture and Herring.

Ad: FanDuel launches Mixup, a fun version of daily fantasy sports

Ads FanDuel launches Mixup, a fun version of daily fantasy sports for casual fans

Post #11   4/5/10 8:29:11PM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Career:2,047-1,306
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
As of now this would be a damn good fight to see where both guys stand in the HW division. Nog has gotten stomped by Mir and Velasquez,but the big question is where does Nelson stand in regards to some of these huge monsters in the HW division? I think Nog has had the bigger fights for sure,but he's nowhere near the old Nog of PRIDE. At the same time i'm not sure Nelson can compete at the top 10 level in the division. I say this one goes to a very contraversial decesion. No matter who wins,the other guy would be getting screwed.

Post #12   4/6/10 2:23:27PM