Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Kimbo Slice: People judged me before they even got to know me

Print  
Posted By Message

ThaAxeMurderer7

MMA Sensei

ThaAxeMurderer7 Avatar

Career:1,277-814
Chips:
"It’s just like when you were a kid with your parents, depending on what type of parents you had, but definitely your teachers, they kinda teach you to never judge a book by its cover. I guess I was the complete opposite of everyone’s impression of me. They kinda judged me before they even got to know me, but I didn’t go into the house trying to portray someone that I’m not. What you see is what you get, camera on or camera off, I’m a real dude. My kids know that about me, my friends know that about me, and putting me in that house and after putting the cameras on us 24 hours a day, now the fans are able to know that about me. I’m a real guy. The same guy you see in the street, that’s the guy you saw in the house. And that’s one of the things that people are able to relate to. I’m not phony."

Kevin "Kimbo Slice" Ferguson (3-1), who will make his first official appearance inside the Octagon at Saturday's Ultimate Fighter (TUF) 10 Finale against Houston Alexander, talks about the battle to overcome the public's perception of him as he entered the TUF house to compete with 15 other contestants for a shot at UFC stardom.

Link

Post #1   12/3/09 7:45:17PM   

submissionartist1

KING of the COMPOUND

submissionartist1 Avatar

Career:490-392
Camp: HighKicksRUs
Chips:
I think Kimbo will get a better contract then the show winner!

Post #2   12/3/09 11:25:42PM   

Gannon

MMA Regular

Gannon Avatar

Career:2,099-1,130
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
I hope that Kimbo just goes away. I don't hate the guy. He just hasn't showed anything at the B Level. Taking up good fighting space. Dana is spinning this every which way.

Post #3   12/4/09 8:46:53AM   

tallica62

MMA Sensei

tallica62 Avatar

Career:1,947-1,203
Chips:
i agree with kimbos comment

Post #4   12/4/09 8:50:10AM   

IowaWrestling

Learning to Sprawl

Career:116-80
Camp: Iowa MMA
Chips:
Kimbo is absolutely garbage on the ground, has no idea what a guard is. His standup on the show was also subpar. They are in his head so much that he doesnt let his hands go any more. Hes more worried about head movement and angles, something you do not need when street fighting bums. Listen, hes entertaining but he is not a mixed martial artist. Houston Alexander is garbage on the ground also, but he has better standup technique, he will KO kimbo first round!

Post #5   12/4/09 9:02:24AM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Career:1,446-842
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
I can feel sympathy for Kimbo.
It's not his fault stardom found him. But now he's got this huge obligation and responsiblilty to live up to the hype put upon him.
Whether it's fair or unfair, that's the hand that's been put upon him and now he's got to play it the best he can.

So far he's not been able to deliver the goods but he did go into the snake pit by joining the cast of TUF and for that he has my respect.

Post #6   12/4/09 10:18:37AM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,320-1,237
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
i had no respect for him before the show now i am rooting for him after
people can change

Post #7   12/5/09 8:45:00AM   

EliasG

In Full Mount

EliasG Avatar

Career:222-176
Chips:
He will never be a contender but I am entertained and enjoy watching all different types of fighters. I've never been a person that ONLY wants to watch the stars fight. I don't tune in ONLY to watch Floyd Mayweather fight even though I consider him one of the best. I don't because he also bores me. There are times when the "BEST" fighters don't put on the BEST shows. With Kimbo you know someone will probably get KO'd IF and ONLY IF he is matched competitively and not put out of his league. He is a compelling figure and has charisma....that is different than some of the fighters that are around that either manufacture it by acting like jerks all the time, or have zero personality at all.

Post #8   12/5/09 7:10:03PM