Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

What's the deal with this play? (Yanks/Angels)

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

pv3Hpv3p

Heavyweight Champ

pv3Hpv3p Avatar

Career:827-576
Chips:
WTF???

I guess i don't know as much about baseball as I thought... Either that, or the yankees reeeeally deserve to win this year... Enough for the umps to give em a little edge too... Probably the shittiest call I've ever seen in baseball (that and the double they took away from Mauer against the Yanks in the divisional series)

Thoughts?

Post #1   10/21/09 1:02:54PM   

DCRage

Representin' The MA's

DCRage Avatar

Career:978-738
Chips:
Conspiracy plain and simple. Doing whatever it takes to get the Yanks in the World Series because Selig is more interested in TV ratings than the fans.

Post #2   10/21/09 1:18:33PM   

Jshep714

MMA Regular

Jshep714 Avatar

Career:1,385-724
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by DCRage

Conspiracy plain and simple. Doing whatever it takes to get the Yanks in the World Series because Selig is more interested in TV ratings than the fans.

I hope you aren't serious with the conspiracy theory. That call had nothing to do with the end of the game. Even if they called Jorge and Cano out they still would of won. The Angels also got a call their way when Swisher was called out for tagging up early.

There are blown calls in every sport, its going to happen when there is no instant replay and there should be no thoughts of conspiracy.

Last edited 10/21/09 1:29PM server time by jshep714
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #3   10/21/09 1:28:56PM   

AchillesHeel

Heavyweight Champ

AchillesHeel Avatar

Career:845-448
Chips:
People cry conspiracy when it becomes a pattern. And it has. I think it was late in the second game of the current series when the 2B umpire suddenly decided not to give Aybar the "in the neighborhood" double-play call. Even the announcers were shocked. The Angels got out of the inning, but at the time it sure looked like the umpire had given the Yankees a run on a silver platter.

Post #4   10/21/09 1:43:35PM   

ko-kbo130

MMA Regular

ko-kbo130 Avatar

Career:208-140
Chips:

Posted by AchillesHeel

People cry conspiracy when it becomes a pattern. And it has. I think it was late in the second game of the current series when the 2B umpire suddenly decided not to give Aybar the "in the neighborhood" double-play call. Even the announcers were shocked. The Angels got out of the inning, but at the time it sure looked like the umpire had given the Yankees a run on a silver platter.

"in the neighborhood" Aybar wasn't even close to "in the neighborhood" i can understand a few inches away from the bag. he was so far off the bag with both feet it was unbelievable. that was the right call. as for the play at third, well that was just a bit ridiculous. as was swisher not getting called out on the pick-off at second, and than swisher getting called out on the appeal to third.

Post #5   10/21/09 3:00:56PM   

higdon10

MMA Sensei

higdon10 Avatar

Career:517-342
Chips:
The call was terrible, but as an umpire myself I can assure you that it happens. There's no conspiracy, Tim McClellen is just a human being like you and I.

Post #6   10/21/09 3:02:43PM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Career:759-539
Chips:
I don't watch baseball, but even I thought that should have been a double out. Had the guy gunning for home stayed on the plate, that would have been different, but both were off the bag when they got tagged.

Post #7   10/21/09 3:05:38PM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,284-1,206
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by higdon10

The call was terrible, but as an umpire myself I can assure you that it happens. There's no conspiracy, Tim McClellen is just a human being like you and I.

He should not be an umpire if he misses a call like that. Even someone that knows nothing about baseball can tell you that if 2 guys are off the base and they're tagged with the ball, they're out. It wasn't a judgement call. There was no room for interpretation. Both runners should have been called out and, at that level, if you can't make that call, you SHOULD NOT be an umpire.

Post #8   10/21/09 3:05:50PM   

AchillesHeel

Heavyweight Champ

AchillesHeel Avatar

Career:845-448
Chips:

Posted by ko-kbo130

"in the neighborhood" Aybar wasn't even close to "in the neighborhood" i can understand a few inches away from the bag. he was so far off the bag with both feet it was unbelievable. that was the right call.

He wasn't "so far off the bag", actually. He was just the right amount off the bag. Umpires routinely give infielders that call. In that case, the umpire mysteriously decided to call the play by the book.

Post #9   10/21/09 3:19:13PM   

ko-kbo130

MMA Regular

ko-kbo130 Avatar

Career:208-140
Chips:

Posted by AchillesHeel

Posted by ko-kbo130

"in the neighborhood" Aybar wasn't even close to "in the neighborhood" i can understand a few inches away from the bag. he was so far off the bag with both feet it was unbelievable. that was the right call.

He wasn't "so far off the bag", actually. He was just the right amount off the bag. Umpires routinely give infielders that call. In that case, the umpire mysteriously decided to call the play by the book.

see heres where this call is debatable. because what is in the neighborhood to you might not be to someone else. I feel he was way too far off the bag to be considered in the neighborhood. This play wasn't even brought up on the "debatable calls" clip on mlb.com, while Brett Gardener getting thrown out stealing was. When Aybar first straddled the bag he was no were close, on the transition to the through he may have been close but still really not that close. For you it may have been close enough, for me he may have been to far. That's why there should be no deviations from the rules. we wont have to argue calls like this if the game was just played to the rules.

Post #10   10/21/09 3:27:03PM   

Basshandsome

Standup Guy

Basshandsome Avatar

Career:2,514-1,377
Camp: Canadian Power Team
Chips:

Posted by ko-kbo130

Posted by AchillesHeel

Posted by ko-kbo130

see heres where this call is debatable. because what is in the neighborhood to you might not be to someone else. I feel he was way too far off the bag to be considered in the neighborhood. This play wasn't even brought up on the "debatable calls" clip on mlb.com, while Brett Gardener getting thrown out stealing was. When Aybar first straddled the bag he was no were close, on the transition to the through he may have been close but still really not that close. For you it may have been close enough, for me he may have been to far. That's why there should be no deviations from the rules. we wont have to argue calls like this if the game was just played to the rules.

The umps were fine with him being "in the neighborhood" all night and then he all of the sudden did not get the call and that was the problem. The calls have to be consistent. There is room for leeway in every thing (speed limit for example) and in every sport (traveling and palming in basketball). With all this being said I don't think these calls are being given to give a team an advantage but simply some miscalls by humans.

Post #11   10/21/09 3:48:12PM   

Wallass

MMA Sensei

Wallass Avatar

Career:2,218-1,306
Camp: Canada's Finest
Chips:
One word................. "Illuminati". LOL.

Last edited 10/21/09 4:16PM server time by Wallass
Edit note/reason: spelling

Post #12   10/21/09 4:08:51PM   

higdon10

MMA Sensei

higdon10 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by emfleek

Posted by higdon10

He should not be an umpire if he misses a call like that. Even someone that knows nothing about baseball can tell you that if 2 guys are off the base and they're tagged with the ball, they're out. It wasn't a judgement call. There was no room for interpretation. Both runners should have been called out and, at that level, if you can't make that call, you SHOULD NOT be an umpire.

McClellen is one of the most respected umpires in baseball, he just made a mistake. This kind of thing happens every so often, human error sometime effects the game. But to say that he SHOULD NOT be an umpire is a bit ridiculous. The same kind of thing happened with Ed Hochuli early last NFL season, and he is arguably the finest official in football, and he has continued to show that ever since his mistake.

Post #13   10/21/09 6:24:43PM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,284-1,206
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by higdon10

McClellen is one of the most respected umpires in baseball, he just made a mistake. This kind of thing happens every so often, human error sometime effects the game. But to say that he SHOULD NOT be an umpire is a bit ridiculous. The same kind of thing happened with Ed Hochuli early last NFL season, and he is arguably the finest official in football, and he has continued to show that ever since his mistake.

I'm sorry, but there's no justification for the mistake he made. It was the most obvious call there could have been. No excuse is good enough. "Just made a mistake" would have been calling a runner out at the plate or calling a ball that bounced off the top of the wall a homerun. This was a COLOSSAL error. There's no way he should have missed that call. None whatsoever.

Post #14   10/21/09 6:53:57PM   

higdon10

MMA Sensei

higdon10 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by emfleek

Posted by higdon10

I'm sorry, but there's no justification for the mistake he made. It was the most obvious call there could have been. No excuse is good enough. "Just made a mistake" would have been calling a runner out at the plate or calling a ball that bounced off the top of the wall a homerun. This was a COLOSSAL error. There's no way he should have missed that call. None whatsoever.

I understand that this was an awful call, I just think that your statements were a little outrageous.

Post #15   10/21/09 8:05:04PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2