Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Rampage’ injured; Machida gets shot at Evans

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

Manak

Belt Contender

Manak Avatar

Career:164-106
Camp: UFC-PRIDE-MMA
Chips:
http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news?slug=ki-rampage031109&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Rampage needs surgery on his jaw so Machida finally gets his shot, most likely UFC 98

Post #1   3/11/09 10:19:43PM   

RMFG_187

Banned

RMFG_187 Avatar

Career:349-223
Chips:
Evans round 3 KO. his standup didnt look as good as everyone thinks, but this is a fight where 1 shot will make the difference, and I think it will be in Evans Favor

Post #2   3/11/09 10:44:45PM   

RMFG_187

Banned

RMFG_187 Avatar

Career:349-223
Chips:
People call me a hater when it comes to Machida, I give him respect hes a very smart fighter, just not an exciting one. And if he is champ, I will be so angry that he took the easiest path. Matchup with Tito was perfect for him. Silva was worst of the best. I dont think he could get passed Rashads Right hand tho.

Post #3   3/11/09 10:55:47PM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,817-1,549
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by RMFG_187

People call me a hater when it comes to Machida, I give him respect hes a very smart fighter, just not an exciting one. And if he is champ, I will be so angry that he took the easiest path. Matchup with Tito was perfect for him. Silva was worst of the best. I dont think he could get passed Rashads Right hand tho.

Plenty of people find Machida boring...I find his fights very interesting and frankly can't get enough of em. Previous matchups aside, when he beats Rashad, he will have beat the champ, so there will be no debate on his abilities.

Post #4   3/11/09 11:05:51PM   

gartface

Heavyweight Champ

gartface Avatar

Career:1,406-898
Camp: Hand Grenade Hillbillies
Chips:

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by RMFG_187

Plenty of people find Machida boring...I find his fights very interesting and frankly can't get enough of em. Previous matchups aside, when he beats Rashad, he will have beat the champ, so there will be no debate on his abilities.

I completely agree Grappler. I love watching Machida fight, I think he fights a very smart and very fun fight to watch. I love seeing the other fighters get frustrated, and fight angry, which ends up costing them because they're usually the first to make a mistake. Machida is very good at capitalizing on mistakes as we saw in the Thiago Silva fight.

The fight with Rashad will be a very counterattack oriented fight on both of their parts, but I think that once Rashad starts trying to swing for the fences, he'll get caught by more technical striking and he'll get outpointed.

Post #5   3/11/09 11:12:01PM   

chickmagnet

MMA Sensei

chickmagnet Avatar

Career:529-344
Camp: The Pit
Chips:
Machida by domination

Post #6   3/11/09 11:49:21PM   

cloud301336

MMA Regular

cloud301336 Avatar

Career:370-208
Chips:
i can see Evans starting slow in the beginning and start putting it on Machida as the minutes go by, but for some reason i think the fight will be determined if Evans can take him down, but considering Machida is a savage and all i'm not sure if Evans can do it. plus Machida's stand up is by no means bad what so ever.

I'm gonna say the loser is whoever chase's the other

Post #7   3/11/09 11:55:47PM   

Boo_Radley21

Heavyweight Champ

Boo_Radley21 Avatar

Career:605-425
Chips:
Boo Lets go Evans.

Post #8   3/12/09 12:24:54AM   

Ordep

Go Falcons!

Ordep Avatar

Career:1,039-621
Camp: Beat Down System
Chips:
Ordep wants double KO

Post #9   3/12/09 1:53:10AM   

Shogunator800

Learning to Sprawl

Shogunator800 Avatar

Career:694-416
Chips:

Posted by RMFG_187

So if he beats Rashad, a guy who beat the longest reigning champ in recent years to get his title shot at Forrest, you'll question his path to the belt as easy?

Starting with wining streaks on the way to a title shot only, maybe you should take a look at who did what to get previous title shots in the UFC:

Machida:

1. Sam Hoger Win Unanimous Decision
2. David Heath Win Unanimous Decision
3. Kazuhiro Nakamura Win Unanimous Decision
4. Rameau Thierry Sokoudjou Win Submission
5. Tito Ortiz Win Unanimous Decision
6. Thiago Silva Win KO

Rashad Evans:

1. Michael Bisping Win Split Decision
2. Chuck Liddell Win KO

Forrest Griffin:

1. Hector Ramirez Win Unanimous Decision
2. Mauricio Shogun Rua Win Submission

Dan Henderson:

AUTOMATIC TITLES HOT FOR BEING PRIDE CHAMPION

Quinton Rampage Jackson

1. Marvin Eastman Win KO

Tito Ortiz

1. Patrick Cote Win Unanimous Decision
2. Forrest Griffin Win Split Decision
3. Vitor Belfort Win Split Decision
4. Ken Shamrock Win TKO
5. Ken Shamrock Win TKO

Renato Sobral

1. Travis Wiuff Win Submission
2. Chael Sonnen Win Submission
3. Mike Van Arsdale Win Submission

Randy Couture

1. Mike Van Arsdale Win Submission

Jeremy Horn

AUTOMATIC TITLE SHOT GIVEN TO FOR AN EASILY AVENGED LOSS VICTORY FOR CHUCK

Chuck Liddell

1. Tito Ortiz KO
2. Vernon White KO

Randy Couture

Automatic Rematch due to cut loss to Vitor

Vitor Belfort

1. Marvin Eastman TKO

I'm going to stop right here.

It's painfully obvious that both Machida has had the most difficult route if you count uninterrupted UFC victories leading up to a title shot. Rashad's list would be much larger if it wasn't for the Tito Ortiz draw. Let's not forget that Tito was Chuck's last successful title defense too. You can deny it, but Machida has been given very tough matches. He's been given a lot of opponents that could give him problems, and then a lot of other fighters simply aren't interested in fighting him. Yes, this list does include Forrest Griffin and Chuck Liddell. Neither were interested in a bout with him and you can't really fault Machida for that.

Post #10   3/12/09 2:20:51AM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
So it was a jaw injury for rampage. Cus I thought I heard it was a hand injury. Anways UFC 98 was too soon for rampage to get back in there. I can only hope we see Evans vs Rampage after that trash talk.

Also I dont think Evans is a fighter that is going to fight angry or frustrated when he fights machida. I dont think he's get angry and then overly aggressive and fall out of a gameplan.

All in all Im just glad they got a replacement main-event for ufc 98.

Post #11   3/12/09 2:23:05AM   

MMAcca

Heavyweight Champ

MMAcca Avatar

Career:1,899-1,095
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by RMFG_187

Exactly grappler0000

Post #12   3/12/09 2:30:36AM   

Gannon

MMA Regular

Gannon Avatar

Career:2,145-1,169
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
I've been telling a buddy of mine for a couple of years that MAchida is going to win the belt being undefeated. Finally we get to see how good he really is. Great fight!!! So freaking excited.

Post #13   3/12/09 2:50:57AM   

GSPCanada

Standup Guy

Career:637-415
Chips:
I don't think this will be the matchup everyone thinks it will be, alot of machida's fights do have guys getting frustrated and giving what he wants, but if u look back at the evans liddell fight rashad has got alot of patience so dont expect evans to just come rushing in, also Machida lacks control when he gets on top when u look at his fights he repeatedly takes the back takes mount but cant do anything, this one is tough to call, im going machida but who knows how

Post #14   3/12/09 3:11:46AM   

Wolfenstein

Heavyweight Champ

Wolfenstein Avatar

Career:1,304-730
Chips:
The hardcore fans finally get what they want. Justice is served, and all is right with the world.

I actually think Rashad has the best chance to defeat Machida out of all the other LHW's. His patience, gameplanning, and explosiveness should make for a competetive fight. It could start off slow, but I expect there to be some real fireworks everytime these two engage. Should be a real strategic matchup.

Post #15   3/12/09 4:38:20AM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2