Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Predator remake? It's actually in production right now

Print  
Posted By Message

hippysmacker

Boondock Saints Mod

hippysmacker Avatar

Career:1,924-1,081
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
Apparently Robert Rodriguez( directed Dusk til Dawn, Desperado, Sin city etc.) has been signed to do a remake of it. Don't get me wrong, I think he's a heck of a director, but I see no need. Predator is one of the greatest action movies of all time IMO. When it came out there was nothing like it before, and i still think it holds up to this day. McTiernan( he just doesn't like the spotlight -unlike a lot of famous directors) is one of the unsung great director ever, the cast was amazing, and the idea is never as compelling as the first time you saw the original. Once the reveals out of the bag, any further predator movies lack that extra oomph the first had. Why not make a predator 3 with Arnie/Danny Glover ,and some new special forces guys thrown in ,if you want to revive the whole predator thing. It would make a lot more sense to me. Anyway, since this forum is mostly populated by men, and men always seem to dig this classic flick whenever it's mentioned in my presence , What do ya'll think?

“Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie ,cheat ,or steal.for selfish gain. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil. Never back away from an enemy. Either fight or surrender. It is not enough to say I will not be evil. Evil must be fought wherever it is found.”
The Iron Code

Post #1   2/19/09 4:34:29PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:
Blasphemy. The Original Predator is one of my top 5 favorite action movies of all time. I hesitate to say it's my favorite, but I do believe I have watched it more than any other action movie.

You can't top Jesse "the Body" Ventura, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Carl Weathers and the machismo they brought to that movie. It is one of the ultimate guy flicks. The way hollywood does movies these days they'd throw Duane "The Rock" Johnson, Ryan Reynolds, and Michael Clarke Duncan in to try to compare. (Perhaps an appearance from our favorite $corpion King 3 actor, too?) It's just not the same hollywood. No way they could appeal to the average man's bloodlust the way Predator did. Nor could they bring back the fear and awe because like you said- it's already been done. We know what to expect. The movie was a freaking classic. It will never be topped by a sequel.

The only actors out there that can still play a true tough guy role in that genre IMO are Ron Perlman, Mickey Rourke, and maybe Michael Madsen. Although I never find his characters too convincing, personally. Hollywood has gone to ****, and it's a shame when we're comparing movies like "Predator" to make that call. Because honestly- if you really break it down it was one of the crappiest movies ever made. It had that feel that Hollywood doesn't seem to be able to generate anymore IMO

Post #2   2/19/09 4:45:58PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:
and by the way- Of course I'd go watch it.

Post #3   2/19/09 4:47:55PM   

breakdown5

MMA Sensei

breakdown5 Avatar

Career:877-464
Chips:
I hate remakes. Hate them....

Post #4   2/19/09 5:10:22PM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,690-1,487
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
I sure as hell hope this doesn't actually happen...it's also one of my favorite action movies. Since it hasn't shown up on IMDB yet and the rumors were swirling a few years ago about the same thing, I'll just sit back and pray this is just a rumor.

Post #5   2/19/09 5:16:31PM   

AchillesHeel

Heavyweight Champ

AchillesHeel Avatar

Career:845-448
Chips:
I agree completely. Predator was essentially a perfect movie, and bears no improving upon. A remake of any of the top action-adventure movies of the 1980s (The Golden Age of the Action-Adventure Film) could only be worse than the original.

Post #6   2/19/09 7:49:01PM   

cmb19932

Banned

cmb19932 Avatar

Career:199-169
Chips:
i like sin city but um this sounds bad

Post #7   2/19/09 7:55:30PM   

GDK

MMA Regular

GDK Avatar

Career:1,651-1,150
Chips:
**** man
The original cast is unreplacable
All those great qotes
"if it bleeds we can kill it"
"I ain't got time to bleed'
"There's something out there waiting for us, and it ain't no man. We're all gonna die"
"Come on! Kill me! I'm here! Come on! Do it now! Kill me!"

And best of all is Bill Duke
'Gonna have me some fun'
'I gonna cut your name into him'
"Anytime"
"Here we are again bro. Just you and me. Same kind of moon same kind of jungle"

The movie is so cool
The remake can only be worse

Post #8   2/19/09 8:14:36PM   

SpiderSilva

PFM

SpiderSilva Avatar

Career:1,782-1,124
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
I think Robert Rodriguez would do a great job the guy has made some pretty bad ass movies I would go see it ( I will also say the cast was one of a kind)

He's been known to cure narcalepsy by just walking into a room. His orgin donation card list his beard. He is a lover not a fighter but he's also a fighter so don't get any idea's he is SpiderSilva I'm the baddest man alive

Post #9   2/20/09 8:22:21AM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Career:1,456-844
Chips:
I think remakes can be good,but with Predator their is no need.

If anything,they need to make a flim that delves deeper into the Predators home world and really expand them out more.
Some of the comic books have done a great job of doing this and I was really hoping Hollywood would follow.
Remakes should only be considered when the source material has been thoroughly exhausted and a new approach is about the only option you have left.
With Predator their's some much untapped potential for several more films before the word Remake should even be mentioned.

Post #10   2/20/09 9:28:36AM   

bigbubbano23

MMA Sensei

bigbubbano23 Avatar

Career:317-197
Camp: Xtreme Couture
Chips:
Is the writers strike still going? sounds like it.

Post #11   2/20/09 11:18:44AM   

tdietel01

Standup Guy

tdietel01 Avatar

Career:83-44
Camp: OHIO TOP TEAM
Chips:
I think this will be awesome! look at texas chainsaw massacre and halloween (rob zombie remake) both really really good remakes. as long as he doesnt add a whole lot to the movie i think it will be worth watching.

Post #12   2/20/09 2:50:02PM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Career:1,456-844
Chips:

Posted by tdietel01

I think this will be awesome! look at texas chainsaw massacre and halloween (rob zombie remake) both really really good remakes. as long as he doesnt add a whole lot to the movie i think it will be worth watching.

I agree with what your saying,but the thing is Halloween and TCM already had a whole slew of films under their belt before they were remade.
The continuity and story had been beaten to death and a remake was a fresh start.

We've only seen the Predator in 4 movies.And in 2 of them the screen time was shared with "Aliens".
Before they remake Predator,I think they should spend more time on exploring were the preador can go as of now before they go remaking it.

Post #13   2/20/09 8:33:54PM